Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 09:06 AM

40 posts, read 36,812 times

Advertisements

Thinking about shipping a few boxes and possibly a bicycle cross country. Who has done this before? What are some things I should know? What type of boxes did you use? About how much did it cost? Words of advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 10:15 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
We made our cross country moving using Amtrak to ship a lot of boxes.
https://www.amtrak.com/express-shipping
How I moved across the country with Amtrak - Transitized

This is how it went for us:
Boxed everything up in the small heavy duty Lowe's moving boxes.
Drove to Cincinnati's Union Terminal after hours(for that location was the only time they accepted shipments as it was also a museum and such)
Went and chatted with the guy on duty who gave us a couple carts to load up the shipment.
He weighed and processed each package then they were set out to be palletized.
We then took off on our cross country drive to Portland. The train beat us there by a day. But they hold the shipment for 72hrs before they start charging you for storage.
Got there, got keys to our place then went down to the Portland terminal and got our boxes.
They all got dirty, but were in great shape otherwise.

Was the cheapest shipping option by far. I see they say that bikes must be boxed and that they may have said boxes available but to call ahead. Also you cannot ship electronics with them so those need to go with you or be shipped in another way.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:35 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
We made our cross country moving using Amtrak to ship a lot of boxes.
https://www.amtrak.com/express-shipping
How I moved across the country with Amtrak - Transitized

This is how it went for us:
Boxed everything up in the small heavy duty Lowe's moving boxes.
Drove to Cincinnati's Union Terminal after hours(for that location was the only time they accepted shipments as it was also a museum and such)
Went and chatted with the guy on duty who gave us a couple carts to load up the shipment.
He weighed and processed each package then they were set out to be palletized.
We then took off on our cross country drive to Portland. The train beat us there by a day. But they hold the shipment for 72hrs before they start charging you for storage.
Got there, got keys to our place then went down to the Portland terminal and got our boxes.
They all got dirty, but were in great shape otherwise.

Was the cheapest shipping option by far. I see they say that bikes must be boxed and that they may have said boxes available but to call ahead. Also you cannot ship electronics with them so those need to go with you or be shipped in another way.
What was the cost?

Old 09-13-2016, 05:44 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Forget specifics, it was around $150 per 250lbs.

From the article:
"The initial 100 pounds is just over $60, and then each subsequent pound is around $0.57."

Old 11-01-2016, 03:35 PM

530 posts, read 667,240 times
We have a foam bed that folds up to just a few inches over the three feet that Amtrak allows for their small packages. The other dimensions are well within the size guidelines but the width misses by several inches. According to what I read on their website, I would have to put this foam thing on a pallet. Am I incorrect? Please advise.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:18 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
I live on Long Island, NY and would have to utilize a local moving company to get my stuff to Amtrak as there's no station here. This is a lot of extra trouble versus a POD or moving truck. My move will be cross-country.

I heard that Amtrak is cheaper. Would the savings be worth it?

Also, if I were doing it this way I'd probably choose an Amtrak station in NJ as the departure station. Good idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues