Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:54 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times

Advertisements

I need to ship my car from Long Island to Sarasota.

Problem is, I only have a 2 day window in NY for pickup. A delivery date is not such a big deal.

In reading reviews, I see complaint after complaint about late pickups. I simply cannot allow for that to happen.

Also, there is a cost matter. Last year, I searched for a transporter, and the place that seemed best gave me a $700 quote. The other day, that same company gave me a $1125 quote! And the price of fuel is down from last year.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 12:34 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
There is a train that runs NY- FL that will take your car as well as you, if you want to go that route.

I guess you want the car to go to FL but you are not going yourself?

Old 09-28-2016, 12:41 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
uship.com

Old 09-28-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
There is a train that runs NY- FL that will take your car as well as you, if you want to go that route.

I guess you want the car to go to FL but you are not going yourself?
We fly down. Train does not allow dogs. Can't drive that distance. And it is about 6 hours' drive to train anyway, plus about 4 hours on other end.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
uship.com
WOW - searched for reviews on several sites. They may have the worst set of reviews I've ever seen!
There's the problem - too many of them have reviews like this, and a huge number of reviews are due to not being picked up on time. also many for this company where the driver demanded more money than was contracted for with uship before releasing the vehicle.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:47 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
WOW - searched for reviews on several sites. They may have the worst set of reviews I've ever seen!
There's the problem - too many of them have reviews like this, and a huge number of reviews are due to not being picked up on time. also many for this company where the driver demanded more money than was contracted for with uship before releasing the vehicle.
uship.com is just essentially an auction site- it's not the company that actually moves your car. Once you get bids on uship you can check the reviews of individual shippers and make your decision. They have other forms of shipment as well, where they link you with people using pre-agreed rates, but the same idea applies.

I've done a car with them and had no problems with the independent carrier that it linked me to, but that carrier also happened to have good reviews (which is why I chose that carrier).

Your post is like saying "I would never use ebay because ebay has bad reviews", even though it's the individual sellers whose reviews you need to read.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:29 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
If you are willing to pay more to get better service, you might consider one of the collector car moving outfits, ones that take one or two cars at a time and have fully enclosed carriage.

Standard car carriers are problematic if the entire load of cars is not going to the same place.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:23 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,367 times
A lot of retired policemen do auto driveaways. The companies are in the phone books of major US cities, or if you know one- ask. They'll pick your car up at your house, drive it to Florida and drop it wherever you want. You usually have to pay their fare home, unless they can get a return driveaway.

Google or phone book 'auto driveaway services.'

Old 09-28-2016, 05:01 PM

731 posts, read 767,978 times
There is a company called "Auto Plane" that runs out of MacArthur Airport. You drop your car off at the airport and they drop it off in Fort Meyers. Not sure about the price or reviews. Just a thought.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:37 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Can you leave the car with a trusted friend for pickup? That's what I did a few times, did that for drop off too as deployment schedules can change suddenly.

As for uShip, I think you can find better ways. They're an auction site, like it was previously stated and they charge a fee on your end and the end of the car shipping company. It works out to about 20% for them to basically exchange contact information between the two of you.

Find a driver, not a broker. Why pay a middle man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues