Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 03:16 PM

67 posts, read 60,585 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh, Doodlemom, thank you for this post! We are going through this right now and it's frightening, exhausting,confusing and kind of exciting.We could call your post good timing in terms of some kind of sign to proceed in going elsewhere lol We're doing lots of research on getting out of FL,cost of living & job salaries elsewhere etc. FL for small business people such as independent contractors has become highly competitive to the point of customers price shopping for the lowest bid. The cost of living has skyrocketed for those needing to rent and the numbers just don't match up anymore.Anyway,it may take us a while to get the right circumstances in order but we're leaning heavily on getting out of here as soon as possible.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:36 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
I relate to your post so much. My husband and I are in are late thirties and we've both lived in Fresno our entire lives. We hate the weather, too hot for too many months, can't stand the state of California at all, but all of our family and friends are here and we've got elementary aged kids. So we dreamed of moving, but never did. That all changed in May when my husband was passed over for a promotion and it was clear that he was as far as he'd ever be with that company.
He started looking for jobs and they were all only out of state. We concentrated on the Northwest region and took a family road trip in June to visit six states we were possibly considering living in. He had two job interviews in Wyoming during the trip and he was offered both jobs!!
Now comes the hard part. He moved to Wyoming to start the new job, the kids and I moved out of our house to help it sell faster because we own a ton of animals, so we moved in with my in-laws.

We sold the house in three days and we're just waiting for escrow to close. Hubby found a house in Wyoming that we love and they accepted our offer. Everything is coming together. It's going to be sad leaving our family behind, but we are so ready to start our new life in Wyoming asap!!!

Old 10-14-2016, 04:33 PM

244 posts, read 667,311 times
My husband and I would love to move to a different state, we also live in Central California, like Crazy4Chickens. We hate the weather, our allergies are crazy and just everything about it gets on our nerves. We were both born and raised here. The only problem is we also have an elementary aged child, 1st grade, whose family all lives within half an hour from us.

We own a house here with the intention of staying until either he graduates or we retire, whichever one we can live with best. But I still have days were I wish we could just pack up and move. We get on the freeway going to the next town over and I think, "Wouldn't it be nice if we could just keep driving until we're where we want to be?"

There are a few reasons we haven't made the move yet. Fear of the unknown. Wanting our son to be near family and have what I had growing up, visits and overnights, things like that. Finding a new job long distance in a field where they usually only hire local people.

One day we'll get there. We'll just have to tough it out until then.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 AM

37 posts, read 22,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddhanks View Post
My wife and I are wanting to move. I'm afraid of moving to another place, due to the cost of living, finding a job, be welcomed...etc. We have no kids at home, she's 43, I'm 39. However our oldest is planning on moving with us and his fiancee. We live in Louisiana and totally sick and tired of the intense heat, very little winter, and the politics of this state. Which has left a very nasty taste in our mouths, for what we've been through. We are looking to start our lives fresh. We're tired of being flatlanders haha, for the land is.....flat. We'd have to go north for a taste of hills. We know that we want to move to a mountainous area, a place that snows in the winter so we could experience a white Christmas, forests where we can hike through and hunt. I've expanded our search to a slightly higher cost since they're moving with us. We are raising animals and we're planning to have a slight self reliance homestead. The main thing that is stopping us from moving anytime soon is we're waiting for someone to buy our trailer and land. So...we're just looking around now for a state with above weather and geography to call our new home.
I'm not sure how far north you would like to go but I think Pennsylvania would be right up your alley. We have lots of beautiful mountains and parks to hunt and hike. There tons of farm land to raise farm animals. My neighbor raises chickens, cows and goats. I love the fact I can get fresh eggs and milk from her . Actually there are a number of neighbors here who raise there own chicken for fresh eggs. As far as snow during Christmas it can be a hit or miss. I live in Pennsylvania and although I really don't like cold weather I love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues