U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,325 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just moved to Seattle about two months ago from Denver and I am regretting the move. I've been obsessed with living here for the last three years, I've told all of my friends and family how much I wanted to live here. I left a really good school in CO to go to a community college here and now that I'm here I feel like I'm drowning.

I'm so homesick that I'm crying all the time. I haven't made friends yet. My rent is $1000 a month for a 200sq ft apartment so I have to work quite a bit along with a full course load. I want to go home and go back to my old school but I'm embarrassed to leave so quickly when I've talked about doing this forever. It feels like a failure. I'd have to wait until the end of the semester which means that I will have only been here for about 5 months.

Does anyone have advice or similar experiences? I don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 07:24 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,417,634 times
Personally? If you had the funds I would move back & brave the talk. Just say, whew, that was a big mistake but sure am glad I did it but sure glad I came home.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:52 PM

15,483 posts, read 17,641,870 times
Two months? Get ahold of yourself and stick out the semester. Then go home for Christmas and make yourself go back for the Spring semester. If after that you still want to go back to CO, at least you gave it the ol' college try and no one will fault you and you can be proud of yourself for sticking it out longer than your emotions wanted you to.

But at just two months you are understandably homesick. It is natural, but no reason to give up.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 PM

5,662 posts, read 4,365,743 times
Once I settled in, I was very sad about moving from the east coast to the midwest for college and decided transfer to a college back home as soon as Fall semester ended. Then I decided to wait until Spring semester ended. Somehow I never made it back and graduated from college in the Midwest. That was 45 years ago. And looking back I think about all the differences my life would now be if I had done the return.

While I am not sorry about how my life turned out, I remember a lot of loneliness during my college years and a big gap the relationships between me and my parents, sister, brother and cousins because I took the path so far away. And I have regrets I did not go back.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:58 PM

4,327 posts, read 912,695 times
You can't expect to make friends in just two months, you should give it more time, Seattle is a nice city!

Old 10-14-2016, 11:33 AM

1,611 posts, read 1,611,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest2618 View Post
I'm so homesick that I'm crying all the time. I haven't made friends yet. My rent is $1000 a month for a 200sq ft apartment so I have to work quite a bit along with a full course load. I want to go home and go back to my old school but I'm embarrassed to leave so quickly when I've talked about doing this forever. It feels like a failure. I'd have to wait until the end of the semester which means that I will have only been here for about 5 months.

Does anyone have advice or similar experiences? I don't know what to do.
Your apartment's really only 15X15 ft? I'd definitely leave if I were to have to pay that much for so little space. Don't feel embarrassed about what other people think--what matters is what you think; if they want to look down on you for your decisions, screw them. I'd just tell them, if you feel like you have them anything, that you found out it wasn't for you. Sometimes that happens. Get out of there fast, that's way too high cost of living, especially for some place you don't like. Best wishes.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:55 PM

815 posts, read 458,223 times
feeling homesick is natural. give it a little more time

Old 10-17-2016, 04:47 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,467,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Personally? If you had the funds I would move back & brave the talk. Just say, whew, that was a big mistake but sure am glad I did it but sure glad I came home.
One of the times I left town for a big venture, a very wise friend told me, "Don't be afraid to come back if you want to."

I wanted to and I did. Another daydream completed before its time! She was very wise.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:20 AM

7,970 posts, read 11,616,240 times
I agree with both sets of advice give here. One, give it time, certainly don't waste your tuition by pulling out in the middle of the semester. Its been a big move, adjust.

Two, you at least had the courage to try something new, moving back is no embarrassment despite with other people without the guts might say. My biggest recommendation to you is to hang on to that part of your spirit. Try everything! Some things won't work out as well as others. Most of the really successful people in life got fired from various jobs, tried all sorts of weird things moved around. You just keep trying things on. Adventure matters!

Old 01-14-2017, 07:27 PM

623 posts, read 356,034 times
I live in Seattle and while I think homesickness is natural and it takes awhile to adjust to a new place, I also think it's probably not going to get much better here. Seattle used to be great but it's way too expensive now, people have a well deserved reputation for being kind of cold/unfriendly/weird, and after sunny Denver the weather here may get to you. I see no shame in leaving and saying you got it out of your system and prefer Denver (many do). However, you may want to stick it out a little longer just to be sure. But nothing to be embarrassed about. You had an experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or