U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2016, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 894 times

Advertisements

Note: I am not very politically correct so take that into consideration before reading.

Hello city-data! I'm here to share my opinion on moving somewhere close to what you may call an "undesirable" city or area. I'm sure many of you factor that in before you move. I am a 19-year old college student who moved to another state and attended college there. Personally I was born and raised in Maryland, about 10 minutes away from Washington D.C.

Why is that important, you may ask? Washington D.C. isn't always viewed as the nicest or safest place to live, especially not for a scrawny white boy like me.

Many of you think the same thing: "I'm not planning on living in or near a ghetto, so what do I do if I want to move somewhere close to one?"

Hold your pitchforks, people. Washington D.C. is a mighty fine place. I've been there many times for many reasons. It has plenty of wonderful museums, restaurants, schools, monuments, and so on. It can be a great tourist destination. However, like many cities, there are rough patches.

Lets look at the facts. The crime rate in Washington D.C. is more than double the nation's average. You are nearly 5 times more likely to be murdered in Washington D.C. than you are in the average American city. According to areavibes.com, Washington D.C. is in the bottom 3% in terms of safety. That means that roughly 97% of the United States is a safer place to live than Washington D.C.

To the average individual, these statistics are alarming at the least.

I lived about 10 minutes away from D.C., but I never experienced any of the awful crime or ridiculous housing prices found there.

Now here's my viewpoint on the matter. I picked and attended a nice college in Florida this year. This Florida college happens to be close to Miami. Miami suffers from some of the same problems that Washington D.C. suffers. The crime rate is sky high. Housing prices are through the roof. More specific to Miami, less than 1/4th of the population speaks English. Many would consider this an undesirable place to live in or close to, but what if you just lived nearby?

When I began looking for colleges, I looked at the city the college was located and any nearby cities. Of course I researched the college itself, but also the surrounding area. I looked first and foremost at crime rates. Next came affordability, was it too expensive to live there? And since I'm such a disgusting, hateful racist, I also looked at the racial demographics.

It's my preference to live near people like me, as I'm sure it is for many people. I'm not such a great fit for a place like Miami, where minorities make up nearly 90% of the population. (Save your accusations of racism, please) If you are a minority, then you would fit like a glove in Miami. There are plenty of people there just like you. However, Miami just didn't appeal to me. The nearby area where the college was located did, however.

So far I have really enjoyed my time here. I get to see a different part of the country that I've never even dreamed of. I haven't run into any problems down in Florida. My fears of this area being a "Miami 2.0" are long gone. I live in a wonderful area.

TLDR; Don't let an undesirable city scare you away from a nearby area. The problems you see in these cities are almost always contained to that city alone. Don't expect any "overflow" of problems into nearby areas. If you happen to going to a city itself, then remember that these large cities aren't exclusively awful, poverty-ridden places. Major cities in the United States are almost always huge tourist destinations as well. Tourists wouldn't come to visit if the city itself was so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 01:04 PM

12,532 posts, read 13,966,574 times
A very long post to say you wanted a niche with other people of your race. Enjoy.

Other white people will make other choices.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:29 PM

5,998 posts, read 6,797,493 times
Well of course crime is high and DC is one of the most dangerous cities in America.

Because only criminals have guns.

The nations capitol stomps on the Constitution and suck us all into the poorhouse.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:57 PM

4,832 posts, read 2,226,788 times
I've never been to Miami but I was born overseas & have travelled to a "3rd world" country. Don't be afraid to broaded your horizons ...

BTW; OP? What did you mean by "Miami 2.0"?

I was wondering if you somehow combined "Miami Vice" & "Hawaii five-0" ...?

Old 10-22-2016, 11:01 PM

24,689 posts, read 23,665,834 times
Ok.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:54 PM

4,672 posts, read 2,286,802 times
So, was there an original question...?

Old 10-23-2016, 03:41 PM

1,861 posts, read 936,028 times
OK, another 19-year-old who has it all figured out and is eager to set us straight heard from.....

And the world continues turning.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:35 PM

15,321 posts, read 13,384,308 times
I use to live in the DC area, and now live in Miami, and I am a white male.

DC has a high crime rate that overwhelmingly takes place in a few areas of DC, while the rest is relatively good. Georgetown is in DC yet it is not even comparable in crime to across the river in Anacostia. Arlington, VA, is one of the safest and highest income areas in the US, and so are areas around DC like Bethesda.

Same in Miami; crime is pretty isolated to a few areas. Coral Gables is very safe, and not comparable in crime to Little Haiti. I live in Brickell and it is very safe here, yet up the road in Opa Locka I would regard it as not safe.

You seem not to understand the concept that when they say something like "DC has a high murder rate", that does not mean that all of DC, every square inch, has this rate. These things are mostly in specific areas, and the rate of those areas is actually much higher because if you conducted the rate stat, you would not use the entire DC population for it.

As for your looking for people like you; DC has many, many white people, and the DC area has a lot of white people. I am not sure how many more you need. Miami has a lot of Hispanics, but many of those are white Hispanics, and phenotype speaking, look like the rest of white USA.

Since you are young and not experienced, what you should know is that people segregate themselves by socioeconomics, and that the higher the income scale you go, the more desirable (regarding crime rates) the place most likely will be.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:41 PM

251 posts, read 122,015 times
I understand you are young

Must be nice *

Old 10-24-2016, 09:39 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,014,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
So, was there an original question...?
Or a point to that ramble?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or