Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:48 PM

14 posts, read 17,161 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are moving in March( from TX) and we have 2 cars and a 3 bedroom house contents to ship. I don't want to drive since I have done that for the past 15 years and i'm tired. This time we will be shipping everything and just catch a plane there. What moving company did you use for your house and transportation as well as your experience and feedback.

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,497 times
I have moved myself from Chicago to Colorado and back using a moving company. I did drive so the car portion I can not help you with. When I did my research, just about all moving companies had good and bad reviews. Really it was like 50/50. So it was stressful. I decided to go with Delta Van Lines. The price and moving availability worked with my budget. So one of the things I did was pack everything myself. I am just funny about people touching my things. Obviously, the larger items I left up to the movers to secure. In the end, with both moves, I was extremely satisfied. None of my property was damaged. No boxes were missing. Everything went better than I imagined. Luckily I did not need to purchase additional insurance.

I would say the biggest problem is the agent you use that represents the moving company. Some are good and some are bad. Here is what you need to check:

Check what people are saying socially about the moving agent.
Grab an online copy of Moving Rights and Responsibilities so you know what you are getting into
Whoever you select, if you have antique, special items - ensure their safety and pack it yourself

There are a lot of websites that cover all aspects of the moving process. If you perform some searches you can be a well informed mover, because things happen.

Hope that helps

Old 01-22-2015, 03:40 PM

211 posts, read 164,939 times
I just reserved my move with U-Pack Moving. We will pay for the space we use with a 5 cubic foot min at 1500$. Its 60$ a cubic foot after that. Ours should cost less than 2,000$ to move. We can then enjoy the drive to SD from Ga.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:00 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
You should do some reading here. Moving: How to Avoid Being Scammed by Moving Companies

Lots of info & reviews on HHG and auto movers

Old 01-22-2015, 04:55 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,513 times
At age 62 we moved 800 miles away in July and after checking in with the big moving companies pretty much discovered that it is about one dollar per pound to move.....Way more than we wanted to pay so we did the UHaul route...It was the only way to ensure it was done right and it made us very uncomfortable to find out that most of the moving companies load the truck then unload it and reload it in another truck for transport. Even though it was a lot of work we are happy with our decision and had no breakage what-so-ever....

Old 01-23-2015, 05:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
We used a local United Van Lines mover. We interviewed several moving companies, and this mover had the best service options for us. We had a good move, with no glitches. They guaranteed they could move us with a two week window. After we found our house, they made good on that--barely. A different mover actually delivered our stuff, but everything went well.

However, I advise getting feedback from the BBB, and asking other locals who has a good reputation. Get several companies to give you bids. You might also check Angie's List. Take your time choosing the right company. I think the rep of the local franchise is the best indicator of a good mover.

Our mover also handled the move of a car. The fact that they could handle this for us, made choosing them easier.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:23 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
We moved from DFW to SW Florida. We used ABF UPack. You get a 28' truck, charged a minimum (ours was about $1400) and are charged for the space used. Use half the truck, half the total charge between minimum and maximum. You have to box, load, but no time frame and you can hire locals on either end to help with the process.

Everything arrived on time, and nothing serious was damaged as we packed carefully.

As to shipping a car, there are brokers who will handle it. Do a google search. Our charge was $750 to ship the car.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:32 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
We used Mayflower to move us from Florida to Arizona, and again to move us back to Florida. The last move was last November. On that move our things were loaded into containers, trucked to Clearwater. The containers were moved into a warehouse. When we had bought our condo, those same containers were trucked to our new place and emptied.

Worked fine.

Many movers will load your car on the truck with your household goods.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:25 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
At age 62 we moved 800 miles away in July and after checking in with the big moving companies pretty much discovered that it is about one dollar per pound to move.....Way more than we wanted to pay so we did the UHaul route...It was the only way to ensure it was done right and it made us very uncomfortable to find out that most of the moving companies load the truck then unload it and reload it in another truck for transport. Even though it was a lot of work we are happy with our decision and had no breakage what-so-ever....
My situation is that if/when I relocate, their will be no "we" or "us"; and planning and executing a long distance move will be entirely up to me to handle alone. Am thinking I may follow the same process that engineman used and just let a professional moving outfit handle my home goods and my vehicle. Going it solo is entirely opposite of having someone else to help.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:39 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,513 times
For an extra fee you can hire helpers from uhaul to help either loading or unloading the truck...We almost went that route but decided since there were 2 of us we would make 3 trips and load/unload ourselves. Even with 3 trips we still paid less than half of what the moving companies would have charged and I knew where everything was once we got to our new location which was really convenient. Look on uhaul's website and you will see the helper component.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues