U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Forum vs. life coach: transitioning decisions, thorough assessment, info from residents

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
....I don't think your post came across as negative at all. To me it came across as someone who's possibly a life coach themselves (sure enough I looked at your profile...and BINGO!).

While I myself might feel some concern over certain posters that are considering relocation (one example: moving w/o jobs). As someone myself who has made the relocation move (my first...and my last!). I wish I had this forum prior to my family and I making this move clear across the country. Now while I likely would not have done anything different...I can tell you that it would have been a nice extra tool for me to have been able to avail myself to. It would have been nice to talk to someone (having total anomityity if one so chooses) to ask such questions of a person who might have made the same move as we did (what their thoughts were and would they have done anything different). Or maybe ask someone that lives in the area that I have interest in what's it really like versus what the latest Forbes survey has printed, or ask another parent what it was like to pull their kids out of school and wondering if your children will hate you for the rest of their lives (oh come on fellow parents you know we all have permanent parent guilt scars somewhere). But to me I think the best thing about a forum like this is...I can get all of this at a drop of a hat (or as fast as one can type)...added bonus..it's Free!

My astute friend, you beat me to the discovery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
As hard as it seems for me to believe now, 20 years ago when we decided to accept my husbands job transfer to Charlotte we knew NOTHING about the city, or the state for that matter. We came and had 7 days to find a home, went back to Louisiana, packed and moved. Of course Charlotte was a lot smaller back then and there wasn't as much to know about it - but I have still always considered myself very fortunate that we got assigned a local realtor who listened to what was important to us and helped us find just the right part of town We loved living here from the beginning, and like I said, have always felt very fortunate to be here. Anyone moving to a new area is better off if they have someone to help them in learning the lay of the land. That's why I like spending time here - someone once helped me, and now I like trying to help someone else

Old 02-26-2008, 11:28 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,340,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
As hard as it seems for me to believe now, 20 years ago when we decided to accept my husbands job transfer to Charlotte we knew NOTHING about the city, or the state for that matter. We came and had 7 days to find a home, went back to Louisiana, packed and moved. Of course Charlotte was a lot smaller back then and there wasn't as much to know about it - but I have still always considered myself very fortunate that we got assigned a local realtor who listened to what was important to us and helped us find just the right part of town We loved living here from the beginning, and like I said, have always felt very fortunate to be here. Anyone moving to a new area is better off if they have someone to help them in learning the lay of the land. That's why I like spending time here - someone once helped me, and now I like trying to help someone else

I cound not agree with you more lovethecarolinas!!! (just kidding...loveMountains)

Old 02-26-2008, 11:35 AM

38 posts, read 105,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
....I don't think your post came across as negative at all. To me it came across as someone who's possibly a life coach themselves (sure enough I looked at your profile...and BINGO!).

While I myself might feel some concern over certain posters that are considering relocation (one example: moving w/o jobs). As someone myself who has made the relocation move (my first...and my last!). I wish I had this forum prior to my family and I making this move clear across the country. Now while I likely would not have done anything different...I can tell you that it would have been a nice extra tool for me to have been able to avail myself to. It would have been nice to talk to someone (having total anomityity if one so chooses) to ask such questions of a person who might have made the same move as we did (what their thoughts were and would they have done anything different). Or maybe ask someone that lives in the area that I have interest in what's it really like versus what the latest Forbes survey has printed, or ask another parent what it was like to pull their kids out of school and wondering if your children will hate you for the rest of their lives (oh come on fellow parents you know we all have permanent parent guilt scars somewhere). But to me I think the best thing about a forum like this is...I can get all of this at a drop of a hat (or as fast as one can type)...and added bonus..it's Free!

Congratulations.... your transition was obviously successful as you have found your comfort. I agree with you totally and those like you generally do extremely well with varied opinions. However, there are others who may benefit from more confidential and personal guidance/nuturing towards success and achieving their goals. I, too, welcome great information and opinions; after all, this is why I posed the question. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 AM

201 posts, read 604,049 times
Default Hello

Well, coming here is...free!

I'm sure there are times when someone can use a life coach or career coach.

However, there are times when talking to other residents, neighbors, parents, real estate agents, etc., can be exactly what you need to begin the next transition for your family.

We are in the process of moving, and I have found the help and support here invaluable! We didn't need a life coach, we just needed information on neighborhoods, cities, and any extra tips that came along with it!

If we ever did need a life coach though, I'm sure there are many good ones out there.

A bit off topic--I wish my college hunting niece would use the benefits of a career or college coach to help with her college selection! She seems to be more interested in the social aspects of college rather than academics. Boy, do I feel so old right now...

Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
What does a life coach do exactly? Pump me up and tell me I can make it or actually give me a life plan of some sort?

Sorry, Not gonna pump you up, Nor give you anything! That was cute!!!Assess, Assess, Assess, Affirm, Affirm, Affirm, Action, Action, Action.......you get the idea! What is your best skill, sport, etc.? How did you learn it? Who was your coach? Exactly....if you taught yourself, then that probably explains why you are still waiting on that call from the "Pros" or your why your idea is still marinating. All of us have innate gifts for learning and teaching ourselves any skill to be acquired, but in order for us to achieve greatness, we have to be coached by someone or something. A Life/Career Coach focuses on those skills that make you dynamic in real world situations and workforce development, while holding an individual accountable for past patterns and behaviors that hinder goal achievement. Unfortunately, not everyone has the support of families, friends, etc. when they want to do well and succeed. Life/Coaching introduces new avenues for networking and receiving constant encouragement as well as re-newed resources.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:30 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasellc2020 View Post
Sorry, Not gonna pump you up, Nor give you anything! That was cute!!!Assess, Assess, Assess, Affirm, Affirm, Affirm, Action, Action, Action.......you get the idea! What is your best skill, sport, etc.? How did you learn it? Who was your coach? Exactly....if you taught yourself, then that probably explains why you are still waiting on that call from the "Pros" or your why your idea is still marinating. All of us have innate gifts for learning and teaching ourselves any skill to be acquired, but in order for us to achieve greatness, we have to be coached by someone or something. A Life/Career Coach focuses on those skills that make you dynamic in real world situations and workforce development, while holding an individual accountable for past patterns and behaviors that hinder goal achievement. Unfortunately, not everyone has the support of families, friends, etc. when they want to do well and succeed. Life/Coaching introduces new avenues for networking and receiving constant encouragement as well as re-newed resources.
This is why the "self help" section at the bookstores is always full of new titles. People often are seeking a new direction or a path towards fulfillment.

I like combining the spiritual w/ a life quest and defining "life purpose" . . .and feel that is why megchurches are becoming so well attended.

Self-affirmation is a skill one can learn . . . you have to believe in yourself b/f you can expect anyone else to believe in you . . .

Old 02-26-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This is why the "self help" section at the bookstores is always full of new titles. People often are seeking a new direction or a path towards fulfillment.

I like combining the spiritual w/ a life quest and defining "life purpose" . . .and feel that is why megchurches are becoming so well attended.

Self-affirmation is a skill one can learn . . . you have to believe in yourself b/f you can expect anyone else to believe in you . . .

You're exactly right! That is why life coaching resources are so great. Many of the authors in the "self-help" section of the bookstores own lucrative and successful businesses that include major components such as life coaching, executive/career coaching, couples coaching, christian-based workshops, self-enhancement and personal growth workshops as well as enjoy empowerment conferences and events! Self-Affirmation is so necessary and unfortunately for some people it doesn't come easy. There are many people who have progressed into adult-hood unattached and it affects their abilities to self-affirm.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,340,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasellc2020 View Post
Congratulations.... your transition was obviously successful as you have found your comfort. I agree with you totally and those like you generally do extremely well with varied opinions. However, there are others who may benefit from more confidential and personal guidance/nuturing towards success and achieving their goals. I, too, welcome great information and opinions; after all, this is why I posed the question. Thanks!

Why, thank you...yes, our transition was very successful. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-27-2008 at 12:45 AM..

Old 03-08-2008, 09:45 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,416,363 times
Default Opportunists

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
What does a life coach do exactly? Pump me up and tell me I can make it or actually give me a life plan of some sort?

I once tried a life coach. Knew very little about my profession. She had very high idealistic expectations of everything, and never thought anyone could ever have one malicious thought. Pollyanna came to mind.
If one needs advice, the best thing to do is to seek out someone who did it successfully, or even not successfully, then they can tell you what they felt would work.
When there is a lack of jobs, the career gurus come out. When people are under stress, the life gurus come out. Always someone trying to make a dollar off other's situations.
There is no "One size fits all" answer.
You will pay hundreds of dollars and find out, there are books at Barnes and Nobles with this in it.
To me, these coaches are opportunists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues