Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Forum vs. life coach: transitioning decisions, thorough assessment, info from residents

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 AM

38 posts, read 113,373 times

Advertisements

I am relatively new to the forum, but in such a short time period I have read so many post concerning moving.....where are you going? Why? I have never seen so many people asking complete strangers what they should do about moving, relocation, financing, etc. For all of you questioning what you should do, have you ever considered of a life coach or a career coach? If not, perhaps you should. This is a person, not a therapist, but a skilled/trained professional who is concerned about your welfare and can help you with intense, transitioning decisions. The services are very affordable because getting you on the right track is priceless! You have someone whom you can connect with, who will complete a thorough assessment of your past mistakes and help you move forward with career achievement and overall success. I hate to seem negative, but what is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasellc2020 View Post
I am relatively new to the forum, but in such a short time period I have read so many post concerning moving.....where are you going? Why? I have never seen so many people asking complete strangers what they should do about moving, relocation, financing, etc. For all of you questioning what you should do, have you ever considered of a life coach or a career coach? If not, perhaps you should. This is a person, not a therapist, but a skilled/trained professional who is concerned about your welfare and can help you with intense, transitioning decisions. The services are very affordable because getting you on the right track is priceless! You have someone whom you can connect with, who will complete a thorough assessment of your past mistakes and help you move forward with career achievement and overall success. I hate to seem negative, but what is going on?
Just because someone needs to relocate (usually for work purposes) doesn't mean they need a "life coach". If you were moving to an area you knew nothing about, or wanted to learn more about an area to see if it would be the right fit for your lifesyle, wouldn't you want to talk to people who already live there? That is the beauty of this forum - newcomers can seek info from residents and usually get enough different opinions to start getting a "picture" of the place they may have to/choose to call their new home. This is a GOOD thing, not a negative one

Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 AM

422 posts, read 1,366,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just because someone needs to relocate (usually for work purposes) doesn't mean they need a "life coach". If you were moving to an area you knew nothing about, or wanted to learn more about an area to see if it would be the right fit for your lifesyle, wouldn't you want to talk to people who already live there? That is the beauty of this forum - newcomers can seek info from residents and usually get enough different opinions to start getting a "picture" of the place they may have to/choose to call their new home. This is a GOOD thing, not a negative one
Right on......

And I am SURE, that people on this forum are doing their homework, talking with family and are getting advice from other sources.. I think this forum is just another source from people who are already here.

When I moved here, my decision was not at all based on the forums opinion. But it was nice to have the extra advice.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 AM

Hi LoveMoutains,
Your exactly right and I agree with you totally concerning gaining valuable information about various areas, demographics, socio-economical perspectives, etc.

As I stated, my hope is that my view will not be taken as a negative since I am introducing a sensitive topic on this forum. You stated "newcomers can seek info from residents and usually get enough different opinions to start getting a "picture" of the place they may have to/choose to call their new home. This is a GOOD thing, not a negative." Your right, but new-comers to the forum such as myself can also offer additional resources to those who are seeking not only a new place to live and a new home, but a new way of life and a new way of focusing on important life and career decisions. Life Coaching and Career Coaching have been providing many individuals with an avenue for accountability and making successful decisions. Some people may be experiencing the "Fright or Flight" Syndrome and they may need to know about other options. Of course some people want to move because they have chosen a certain place and academically and financially they are capable of completing a "smooth transition," but then there are others who are questionable and those the individuals that coaching services benefit the most.

Thanks for your incite....Great Post!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM

Hi NewBeginnings12,
Once again, it's just another option for forum participants and more information to share with the public for those who may not be aware. Negativity not intended.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Hi LoveMoutains,
Your exactly right and I agree with you totally concerning gaining valuable information about various areas, demographics, socio-economical perspectives, etc.

As I stated, my hope is that my view will not be taken as a negative since I am introducing a sensitive topic on this forum. You stated "newcomers can seek info from residents and usually get enough different opinions to start getting a "picture" of the place they may have to/choose to call their new home. This is a GOOD thing, not a negative." Your right, but new-comers to the forum such as myself can also offer additional resources to those who are seeking not only a new place to live and a new home, but a new way of life and a new way of focusing on important life and career decisions. Life Coaching and Career Coaching have been providing many individuals with an avenue for accountability and making successful decisions. Some people may be experiencing the "Fright or Flight" Syndrome and they may need to know about other options. Of course some people want to move because they have chosen a certain place and academically and financially they are capable of completing a "smooth transition," but then there are others who are questionable and those the individuals that coaching services benefit the most.

Thanks for your incite....Great Post!

I do agree about that "avenue of accountability and making successful decisions" idea

It's one thing to be moving here because your job transfers you, or you just get a new job and this is where they want you to be - but it is another thing to move here just because you are bored where you are, or because you want a change of scenery and "heard" that Charlotte is the place to be. Often times we are our own worst enemies because WE are our biggest problem. We keep moving thinking that things will be all better if only we change our location. The problem is, when you are you own biggest problem, that problem stays with you no matter where you move to! This would be a good time for a life coach

Old 02-26-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I do agree about that "avenue of accountability and making successful decisions" idea

It's one thing to be moving here because your job transfers you, or you just get a new job and this is where they want you to be - but it is another thing to move here just because you are bored where you are, or because you want a change of scenery and "heard" that Charlotte is the place to be. Often times we are our own worst enemies because WE are our biggest problem. We keep moving thinking that things will be all better if only we change our location. The problem is, when you are you own biggest problem, that problem stays with you no matter where you move to! This would be a good time for a life coach

Ummm..... I am not talking about those who move due to job transfers, etc. Some individuals need help realizing that there problem is going to exist until they formally address it, that is for therapy, not life coaching, so "no" this would not prove beneficial to a life coach, but they do not offer those services. Life coaching is implemented after the in-depth issues have been accomplished and it is now time to move forward with goals and desires that an individual wants to manifest, which may include moving/relocating, but after preparation has been made for such a change and a life/career coach assist with that process being successful.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:07 AM

Perhaps, the majority of participants on this forum are moving due to job transfers, capability of choice, desire to start fresh and are extremely knowledgeable and have financial clarity. However, there are some forum participants whom that does not apply. So once again, my suggestion is to offer another option for them to confidentially explore more information and resources to help them be successful.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:10 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,454 times
What does a life coach do exactly? Pump me up and tell me I can make it or actually give me a life plan of some sort?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
....I don't think your post came across as negative at all. To me it came across as someone who's possibly a life coach themselves (sure enough I looked at your profile...and BINGO!).

While I myself might feel some concern over certain posters that are considering relocation (one example: moving w/o jobs). As someone myself who has made the relocation move (my first...and my last!). I wish I had this forum prior to my family and I making this move clear across the country. Now while I likely would not have done anything different...I can tell you that it would have been a nice extra tool for me to have been able to avail myself to. It would have been nice to talk to someone (having total anomityity if one so chooses) to ask such questions of a person who might have made the same move as we did (what their thoughts were and would they have done anything different). Or maybe ask someone that lives in the area that I have interest in what's it really like versus what the latest Forbes survey has printed, or ask another parent what it was like to pull their kids out of school and wondering if your children will hate you for the rest of their lives (oh come on fellow parents you know we all have permanent parent guilt scars somewhere). But to me I think the best thing about a forum like this is...I can get all of this at a drop of a hat (or as fast as one can type)...and added bonus..it's Free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues