Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 14,090 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband & I are thinking of moving sometime in the next year or two, we are hoping to start a family & I really really want to be a SAHM. We live in Orange County, CA right now & the cost of living is just too much, we're barely making it with 2 incomes right now. However I love warm weather and have such a hard time being cold (have an electric blanket at work just to keep me warm...but it's almost always at least 72* inside :-P). So many of the places on the Top 100 lists seem to get so cold in the winter. Does anyone have some suggestions of places they live/lived & really enjoyed living there, where the cost of living is less that Orange County, but the weather doesn't get tooooooo cold in the winter?
I'm doubting if a place like this even exists, but we'll see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 12:29 PM

6 posts, read 21,007 times
I'm in a similar situation except where I live it does get cold in the winter. We want to relocate somewhere warm all the time, but with a reasonable cost of living and a good place to raise kids. I do consider where we live (in Missouri) a good place to raise our family, but we would like to be close to the ocean. The cost of living in our area is wonderful and I think it will be hard to find an area as inexpenisve, but still nice as what we have now. Good luck to you.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 14,090 times
Yes, I'm going to miss the ocean. It's taken me several years to come to terms with the idea of moving away, but as prices keep going up I highly doubt I'll be able to be a SAHM while living in this area.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:58 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,988 times
Whenever I move again, it will be to either North Carolina or Tennessee.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djntim1211 View Post
Hi,
My husband & I are thinking of moving sometime in the next year or two, we are hoping to start a family & I really really want to be a SAHM. We live in Orange County, CA right now & the cost of living is just too much, we're barely making it with 2 incomes right now. However I love warm weather and have such a hard time being cold (have an electric blanket at work just to keep me warm...but it's almost always at least 72* inside :-P). So many of the places on the Top 100 lists seem to get so cold in the winter. Does anyone have some suggestions of places they live/lived & really enjoyed living there, where the cost of living is less that Orange County, but the weather doesn't get tooooooo cold in the winter?
I'm doubting if a place like this even exists, but we'll see...
Savannha or Brunswick Georgia are great coastal towns that do not cost half what Cali cost. And yes, it does get cold for 2 months a year with lows usually in the 30s and highs in the 50s in January and Febuary. Also Jacksonville Florida is an option.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:21 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,239 times
Try Florida, yes I know first thing people think is *gasp* hurricanes! Don't worry bout it. With hurricanes you have huge warnings, can prepare your house and leave if necessary.I lived in Fl for 24 years, got hit with one hurricane head on. Catagory 3 so winds up to like 130pmh.. house stood up fine, they're made of cement there. South west Fl has the only subtropical climate in the US, winters there don't usually get below 70 during the day. Its almost Feb and they're in the 80's.. Its warm year round, much cheaper than Cali and you're on the beach.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:45 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
What kind of jobs do you need? This is a major factor. Florida's cost of living is high in comparison to wages.

I would look into TN(no state income tax, low property taxes) or NC. In Tn I would stay NE of Nashville- places like Cookeville, Crossville, Knoxville, Johnson City and the surrounding towns. To me the farther east TN the better. In NC I would look into the Raleigh/Durham areas, Greensboro, Hickory, and also Charlotte. These areas do have winter but they typically aren't too bad. The cost of living is lower than CA just make sure you can find good jobs.

Good Luck,
Lisa

Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Where are you in NC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Try Florida, yes I know first thing people think is *gasp* hurricanes! Don't worry bout it. With hurricanes you have huge warnings, can prepare your house and leave if necessary.I lived in Fl for 24 years, got hit with one hurricane head on. Catagory 3 so winds up to like 130pmh.. house stood up fine, they're made of cement there. South west Fl has the only subtropical climate in the US, winters there don't usually get below 70 during the day. Its almost Feb and they're in the 80's.. Its warm year round, much cheaper than Cali and you're on the beach.
We live on the east coast and we are close to the beach which is gorgeous.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:31 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I would definitely be concerned with finding a job in Florida. If you are retired it is great, but the market is pretty saturated down there. I would second Savannah as a great choice as well as Raleigh or Durham.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 PM

289 posts, read 569,933 times
You may even look into South Texas, Mississippi, or Alabama. If you go far enough south in either of those states I would think the winters would be pretty managable. And again if you go far enough south you can have the beach. Of couse my personal fave is, as others have pointed out, Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues