U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:36 AM

433 posts, read 295,571 times

Advertisements

Just had an acquaintance reconnect with me out of the blue. She's done her share of moving around in recent years - moving from CO to FL, then faced a mold issue in FL and moving back to CO then back to FL and now in MN.

(Please note, I am single and childless. My moving doesn't affect a family or partner.) Four years ago I moved for a job to TX. Laid off a year later, I decided the place wasn't for me and moved back to CO. Was back there 2 years, laid off again and decided to move back to NV to help with a family situation. Been back in NV for over a year and family situation seems to be resolved. Experienced a lot of negative things, biggest being lack of professional jobs. So, I want to find my next spot.

I mentioned to this acquaintance that her city in MN is on my spot to visit as a potential relocation and she suggested a visit in the recent next year (Jan 2017). I explained that I'm going to plan a visit (having my own hotel room/car) in the heart of winter to remind myself of midwest-snow-brutality. I also explained that I took a weekend trip a few years ago to Portland as a potential, but decided it wasn't for me. She then said, "my god you move around so much." I reminded her of her recent moves and said we all have our reasons, but she seems kind of dense and misunderstanding my travels as moving. I've tried to explain this twice to her now.

I, personally don't find anything wrong with moving, but encounter a lot of judgement. Yes, I would like to settle down somewhere for five years, but haven't found it. Is there something wrong with me? Are there others like me out there who get bored in places after a couple of years? Experienced people like this? What do you say back to them?

Old 11-14-2016, 09:43 AM

1,957 posts, read 1,325,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
Just had an acquaintance reconnect with me out of the blue. She's done her share of moving around in recent years - moving from CO to FL, then faced a mold issue in FL and moving back to CO then back to FL and now in MN.

(Please note, I am single and childless. My moving doesn't affect a family or partner.) Four years ago I moved for a job to TX. Laid off a year later, I decided the place wasn't for me and moved back to CO. Was back there 2 years, laid off again and decided to move back to NV to help with a family situation. Been back in NV for over a year and family situation seems to be resolved. Experienced a lot of negative things, biggest being lack of professional jobs. So, I want to find my next spot.

I mentioned to this acquaintance that her city in MN is on my spot to visit as a potential relocation and she suggested a visit in the recent next year (Jan 2017). I explained that I'm going to plan a visit (having my own hotel room/car) in the heart of winter to remind myself of midwest-snow-brutality. I also explained that I took a weekend trip a few years ago to Portland as a potential, but decided it wasn't for me. She then said, "my god you move around so much." I reminded her of her recent moves and said we all have our reasons, but she seems kind of dense and misunderstanding my travels as moving. I've tried to explain this twice to her now.

I, personally don't find anything wrong with moving, but encounter a lot of judgement. Yes, I would like to settle down somewhere for five years, but haven't found it. Is there something wrong with me? Are there others like me out there who get bored in places after a couple of years? Experienced people like this? What do you say back to them?
I'm sure a mod will feel the need to delete this, but in all honesty..

FU** YOU. (to her).

Old 11-14-2016, 09:57 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,615,205 times
Quote:

I, personally don't find anything wrong with moving
I don't think there's anything wrong with moving if you're doing it for a reason. But most employers don't like to see multiple moves, and whatever field you're in seems to have layoffs. So if anything, I'd be finding appropriate employment that sticks, before moving again.

It's not where you live but how you live, and if you can't keep a job, nowhere is going to be good.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with moving if you're doing it for a reason. But most employers don't like to see multiple moves, and whatever field you're in seems to have layoffs. So if anything, I'd be finding appropriate employment that sticks, before moving again.

It's not where you live but how you live, and if you can't keep a job, nowhere is going to be good.
I've never been fired in my professional, adult life. These have been companies going out of business. I also work a part-time, telecom contract so I never have any employment gaps on the resume. Thanks for your comment though.

Last edited by WildSpark; 11-14-2016 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-14-2016, 01:29 PM

5,083 posts, read 5,351,459 times
Quote:

I don't see this as being judgmental, but just an innocent comment during the course of the conversation.

The fact that you state you'd like to live someplace for five years but haven't found that place yet, and then asked if there is something wrong with you indicates that maybe, deep down, you're not 100% happy with the nomadic lifestyle. And perhaps because of that, you're overly sensitive rather than others being judgmental.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:25 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,131,512 times
Quote:

It's none of anyone's business.

I moved from the area where I grew up to PA. At first I liked it. Then I didn't. I moved to Ohio, and I like it much better here. But from those two moves - I caught so much flack and judgment.
Some of it on this forum.

Once you move away from the place where you grew up, it becomes so much easier to move again...and again.

I had two children in middle school and early high school. Not only did they survive, but I think they are better off for it

Both are in college now. They are doing just fine.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I don't see this as being judgmental, but just an innocent comment during the course of the conversation.

The fact that you state you'd like to live someplace for five years but haven't found that place yet, and then asked if there is something wrong with you indicates that maybe, deep down, you're not 100% happy with the nomadic lifestyle. And perhaps because of that, you're overly sensitive rather than others being judgmental.
I would agree with that to an extent. I'm grateful for all my experiences and would like to settle somewhere for at least 5 years. My current location was for family and it's been stressful with limited fun. Some of these things one doesn't know until you live in a location and experience them. But I would like to find my next spot and create roots.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:06 PM

4,367 posts, read 2,493,924 times
Quote:

First of all, it's no-one else's business, what you do with your life.

I also seem to want to move around a lot. I'm planning another move in about a year and a half. Luckily, my husband is very understanding, as he also used to move to different locations when he was young. The only thing I feel bad about is uprooting my daughter - although she tells me she doesn't mind, and she likes the place we are moving too.

I have asked myself the same question: "Is there something wrong with me?". I don't know what is is, I just feel unsettled sometimes. But ultimately I think that I'm always planning ahead, looking for somewhere better.

Actually, I can't understand people who want to live in the same place all of their lives. Don't they want to experience something or somewhere different? I have school friends like this, who haven't done much with their lives, other than live in exactly the same place. That sounds incredibly boring to me.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:15 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,050,211 times
Some of us just have that gypsy blood in us.

I get mine from being an Army Brat.

Even as an adult, I used to find myself getting a bit antsy if I was in one spot for too long. I think I have finally found my nirvana and am ready to settle. I'm 56 and it's probably time

Old 11-14-2016, 06:11 PM

11,036 posts, read 3,941,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I'm sure a mod will feel the need to delete this, but in all honesty..

FU** YOU. (to her).

That's what I'd say!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues