U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 PM

42 posts, read 33,013 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to a southern state from New England and will have a 6 month gap between moving out and moving into our new home. I'd like to use a storage pod(?) to store a small amount of furniture and belongings, and then ship it to our new home when we are ready.

Feedback on whether this is feasible or a good idea? Any vendors in the Boston area we can use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 10:21 AM

5,166 posts, read 8,266,806 times
Certainly feasible, and done all the time. Some possible vendors:
http://www.upack.com/ (best imho)
https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/
https://www.pods.com/
Moving Company – Long Distance Moving Services - United and Mayflower Moving Containers

Have you considered any "parking" issues at the old & new locations ? Containers are usually left over 1 or 2 nites.

Also, do a word search in this Forum for experiences of others.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:00 PM

194 posts, read 318,719 times
We used Pods when we moved from California to Tennessee. The warehouse where they stored the pods was about 20 miles from our new house, so they just delivered it to us on a pre-arranged date. We packed everything & loaded it ourselves & didn't have any damage to our stuff. Worked out great.

A moving van was fine when we moved to CA, plus it was on DH's employer's dime. Later, at retirement time, doing it ourselves wasn't as hard as we thought it might be.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:43 PM

42 posts, read 33,013 times
Thank you!

Old 01-03-2017, 04:25 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,199,401 times
You will need to make sure that PODS delivers to your new city/town. I used them several years ago and was happy with them, but I do remember that one of the things that surprised me was that they didn't service all areas. If they still don't service your area, you can still use them, but will need to hire a moving truck to off-load the POD and re-load into their truck for delivery to your home.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:12 AM

5,166 posts, read 8,266,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
You will need to make sure that PODS delivers to your new city/town. I used them several years ago and was happy with them, but I do remember that one of the things that surprised me was that they didn't service all areas. If they still don't service your area, you can still use them, but will need to hire a moving truck to off-load the POD and re-load into their truck for delivery to your home.
In addition, this process is also used if there is a problem "parking" the container at either end (or both) of the move. In some cases, even with the added cost of a local rental truck, the overall move is still cost effective vs a full-service mover, or one-way rental.

Especially if storage is involved, as movers will unload their van at a warehouse for storage, then re-load for delivery. With a container, your stuff stays in the container.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:10 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,753,400 times
Read up on pod reviews. My son and his wife were considering that option til they read up on the storage fees and all the additional costs. They got clever and got a local container .. Had it hauled to a rental garage ( local elder couple), and paid 70% less then what was quoted by pods. The elder couple lived in their new neighborhood so it worked out great!
Be resourceful .. There are feasible options .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues