Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:41 AM

48 posts, read 43,645 times

Advertisements

Hi, been trying to relocate for years now to be close to our oldest son. He's been away from us for 10 years now, because we wanted a better life for him because of the wrong choices he was making in his life. We're very proud of the young man he has become. We've had our house on the market a few times we finally got a offer on our house but the problem is our youngest son who's 24 years old doesn't want to move. Where we live at all u hear about is SHOOTINGS, KILLINGS, AND ROBBERIES. A few has happened very close to home some seconds or minutes of him leaving the house. We thank God for keeping him covered. The move is to get him away from here for better opportunities and to be closer to his brother. The time missed with our oldest son is time we can't get back. He's our baby, he don't be with anyone but mommy and daddy or his girlfriend. We can't leave him here by his self, feeling lost and stressed!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 12:37 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,919,959 times
If he's 24, he's old enough to make his own decisions. You can try to persuade him, but I don't see how you can really MAKE him move if he doesn't want to move.

Maybe you could go ahead and move, and then keep in touch with daily phone calls so that you know he's OK? You don't need this extra stress, in addition to the usual moving stress, that's for sure.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
If he's 24, he's old enough to make his own decisions. You can try to persuade him, but I don't see how you can really MAKE him move if he doesn't want to move.

Maybe you could go ahead and move, and then keep in touch with daily phone calls so that you know he's OK? You don't need this extra stress, in addition to the usual moving stress, that's for sure.
Yes that's so true and i know I can't make him move, but I'm praying that he will change his mind. I just can't see myself leaving him here, this is so depressing. Thank you

Last edited by sliqnes; 01-11-2017 at 02:56 PM..

Old 01-11-2017, 04:28 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,074,449 times
He's 24 and still living at home? What's wrong with him? When I was 19, I couldn't wait to leave home and begin my own life.
OP you need to give him a date certain, and move with or without him. Quit coddling him.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:29 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,242,974 times
Move. He can join you after he swims, or sinks.
But a 24 year old needs to begin to get beginning. Molly-coddling a 24 year old male will backfire.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:46 PM

5,290 posts, read 5,196,549 times
24 years old?? Do you still change his diapers too?

How long do you plan on revolving your life on your special snowflake? Until he's 25? 30? 40?

Hes not your baby. He's your grown son. dont you want him to act that way?

Old 01-11-2017, 05:32 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,546,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Move. He can join you after he swims, or sinks.
But a 24 year old needs to begin to get beginning. Molly-coddling a 24 year old male will backfire.
This ^^^^^

If he can't find somewhere else to stay, he has no choice. I wouldn't sweat the move too much. Focus on what's right for you.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,007,268 times
If OP does live in Trenton, NJ, I understand her fear of leaving him there.
Most of Trenton is not safe anytime and really not safe for vulnerable young men.

Mom, one thing that hit me was how helpless you sound. Take the offer on the house (that is a HUGE accomplishment), you might never get another one.
Offer to move the GF with you, get your older son to speak with him.

Honestly, I would do just about anything to get him to move.
I worked in Trenton for 25 years.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 PM

9,296 posts, read 16,583,418 times
One of my sons went to college in a city with a lot of crime. When I moved him in to his dorm, I thought "how will he survive." Well he survived, excelled, went to another big city for MS and joined the military and was deployed to Iraq several times. He survived, without us. He was 27 after his second deployment.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
He's 24 and still living at home? What's wrong with him? When I was 19, I couldn't wait to leave home and begin my own life.
OP you need to give him a date certain, and move with or without him. Quit coddling him.
Yes he's 24 and lives at home, there's nothing wrong with him. I'm a quadriplegic, and he's a big help to my wife and I. I'm definitely not coddling him. He's a very responsible, respectful young man and he works 2 jobs and going to class to get his CDL'S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues