Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:22 AM

6,876 posts, read 8,175,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Wait, so your argument is UCD > UT Austin because UCD is the top vet school?
I didn't make that argument. I simply asked a question. Is UT Austin rated the highest in the WORLD for anything?

So I guess UC Berkeley being rated #1 is flawed by your arguments, and the other 17 Public Universities rated higher than UT Austin must be not be accurate either.

Again, UC Davis is rated #10; UT Austin is rated #18 across all disciplines according to the USNews World Report which has been ranking colleges for a long time. Other sources support the USNews World Report rankings with slight variations.

SACRAMENTO is 15 miles from the UC Davis Campus, and it's Medical School & Hospital is located within the City of Sacramento.

SACRAMENTO is 78 miles from UC Berkeley and Sacramento, UC Davis and Berkeley are all connected by a highly used very comfortable wifi enabled commuter train that goes on to Silicon Valley(San Jose).

Old 01-22-2017, 04:14 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,338,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A couple of things.

1) If you are in such a specialized field that you can barely find a job in a relatively large, diverse state like Ohio, you are probably going to be limited to a small handful of areas. If you don't like those areas, do something to broaden your career.

Is she in some sort super career only available on the coasts and the NFL cities in the interior? What does she do and how much is she earning?

2) SoCal is going to have a massive amount of traffic, high cost of living, etc. CA also some of the most varied geography, climate, and cultural offerings of virtually anywhere in the country. I would try it out for a year or so and see if it fits.

3) Other than southern CA, southern TX, Florida, and a few parts of the coastal South, winters are often grey, gloomy, and suck anywhere in the country. OH is not the Arctic. I live in Tennessee - a "Sunbelt" state. It has been a warm winter, but mostly rainy, cloudy, and grey. It's really no sunnier than my last three winters in Indiana.
Im surprise no one in this thread but me mentions that it depends on the lifestyle OP wants too not just the cost of living

If you want a big house
big BMW
Trips to vegas constantly
have some debt you need to pay off
or shop alot
Or have an expensive lifestyle
Its not recommanded to move here

But yea if your lifestyle is low cost with no debt or children it should not be that hard to get by on 54k a year.

At least for me its not hard for me to live in LA
Buts thats probably because i have no debt or expensive life
If i had a new car , children , or a new house then yea thats different

Old 01-22-2017, 09:51 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,216,020 times
be afraid of CA. They have great schools and nice scenery and weather but there's a reason why so many californians leave and find cheaper places to live.

Why not find a job first and then try out the area where you find a job? if you find a good place, your family might come to you.

being near family is fine, but it's a crutch you should not rely on if it's going to hinder your ability to save for the future and live a comfortable life.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:22 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,391,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
be afraid of CA. They have great schools and nice scenery and weather but there's a reason why so many californians leave and find cheaper places to live.

Why not find a job first and then try out the area where you find a job? if you find a good place, your family might come to you.

being near family is fine, but it's a crutch you should not rely on if it's going to hinder your ability to save for the future and live a comfortable life.
This is City Data. People leave for greener pastures without a job and $10,000 in their savings account and hope for the best. And that describes the more savvy members here; newcomers to this message board leave without a job and $300 in their checking account and do not even have a savings account because they use PayPal for direct deposit.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:37 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,992,883 times
That is your argument. No, UT isn't #1 in the world for anything (to my knowledge). It is, on average, much better than UC Davis across the board. Berkeley as the #1 public school is absolutely warranted (but that doesn't mean it's necessarily the best school to go to -- it's extremely cutthroat and they actually curve grades down). Vet school rankings are irrelevant as (a) it's a separate program after college, and (b) the chances that OP's kids are going to become a vet are slim. Besides, vet salaries aren't very high anyway.

Actually, the point of going to college is to get a job. Recruiting opportunities (and cost of tuition) are better at UT Austin. At UC Davis, the competition against your local peers is probably easier though.

I already mentioned rankings for numerous specific fields, indicating that UT Austin is a better school. If you care about *overall* US News rankings, you're going to have to tell me how these rankings are computed, and why a school like Tulane is above UCD and UTA. Or why UCD is tied with UCSD. There's no way in a million years you could argue UCD >= UCSD.

None of this means going to UT Austin is the right move ahead of UC Davis. UC Davis is much smaller, easier to get to know your professors (at UT Austin, professors tend to care more about their research than teaching, sort of like at UCLA). UC Davis may be easier to do well at, I don't know. But academically, UT Austin is a better school, and has better job opportunities.

However, if you're going to choose to live in either TX or CA based on in-state tuition for future kids, those are probably the best two states in the country. I would lean toward TX because of cost of living, lower tuition, and UT Austin is pretty comparable to UCSD, perhaps even UCLA, although Berkeley is clearly better. And importantly, the UCs are broke. Who knows where things will stand in 20 years. The only (college) arguments for choosing CA would be Berkeley and UCLA (possibly UCSD). UC Davis is not a factor in this discussion.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:18 PM

6,876 posts, read 8,175,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
UC Davis is not a factor in this discussion.
Absolutely, UC Davis should be part of the discussion if UT, Berekley or UCLA are part of the discussion considering UC Daivs is rated higher than UT Austin. #10 UC Davis; #18 UT Austin.

Again, Is UT Austin rated the highest in the WORLD for anything, I guess not. Does it matter to some, it might, and it might not. It is a pretty distinguished title that UC DAVIS IS THE WORLD'S TOP IN VET Medicine.

If somebody wants to live in Sacramento(as mentioned by the OP) and they graduated from UC Davis, they have an excellent shot at getting a very good job anywhere in California including Sacramento, and if they choose Sacramento/Davis as a place to live beyond college they will already have become acquainted with the Sac/Nor Cal region.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-22-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 12:51 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,992,883 times
If they want to live in Sacramento, UC Davis is a fine choice (except we're talking about in-state tuition, thus where their kids would want to live -- so keeping options open is better; OP has presumably already gone to school). You still haven't answered how these general rankings are computed, or why there are so many absurdities (e.g., Tulane > UTA, UCD = UCSD), or why the fact that UC Davis is the best vet school is relevant to choosing a college for undergraduate studies.

Having choices is important. People go to college and switch majors all the time. Much better to be top 10 or 20 in a large number of areas than to lock yourself into one field. If you go to grad school or vet/med/law/business school, that's a good time to pursue a school tops in your field possibly to the exclusion of being elite in other fields.

You're either a grad from UC Davis vet school or you just have a hard-on for US News rankings without understanding how they're computed.

Quote:
Once schools have been divided by category, U.S. News gathers data from each college on up to 15 indicators of academic excellence. Each factor is assigned a weight that reflects U.S. News' judgment about how much that measure matters.
They don't describe what these factors are, or what the weights are. You're following this ranking like a sheep without doing any research on particular factors or departments (other than for some reason convincing yourself that being a top vet school is the most important factor for where to pursue undergraduate studies). Sure, these rankings are OK at a glance. For example, Berkeley is clearly better than Ohio State, but it's debatable whether Michigan State is truly better than Boulder.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that UT Austin is a better school doesn't necessarily mean it's the right school to go to. You could make an argument that it would be better to live in CA for in-state tuition because its schools, though big, are nowhere near as big as UT Austin or Texas A&M (though over 20 years, you probably save more than enough money living in TX over CA to account for out-of-state tuition costs anyway). Sometimes a smaller environment is better for a student. I myself have turned down big name schools for this reason.

The financial problems of the UCs are also a serious concern. From what I hear, the Texas schools are in much better financial health.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:48 PM

10,999 posts, read 6,534,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Same in Austin just not quite as bad. Parking is tough pretty much everywhere in central Austin. Even the grocery stores. Since I grew up in the suburbs and now live in Austin I can't even comprehend what it's like to use public transport or live in a walk-able city.

We're really researching the Oceanside-Escondido areas. Maybe things will be better there. Of course it will be harder to find jobs.

Oceanside is fantastic. I wintered there for 5 years. Costs are way lower since it is a military town. It is not so upscale as the towns next door. You might try what I did: renting a vacation condo ON the sand in the winter months---no qualifying for a long-term rental. I stayed 3 months in a terrific beach condo (2 bed/2 bath) next to the pier for $2,700 a month (off-season rates). You could do that and get a feel for things. I'd retire in Oceanside in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Those condos were going for around $750,000 though. I'm sure you could find one cheaper off the beach. Check out VRBO.

Don't let the COL or traffic put you off (just the real estate). I did not find anything to cost more there than other states I've lived in (except gas). And the traffic is not an issue unless you are at commuting times. I grew up in Orange County and would drive from Oceanside to Orange to visit family in an hour every time (50 miles). Yes, there can be an accident but that can happen anywhere. The roads are excellent, people are friendly, and there is so much to do. We could walk to everything in Oceanside (but not in Orange County!). The weather simply cannot be beat. No heat, no a/c most of the time. I miss the lack of humidity something fierce.

Lived in Texas for awhile and did not like it at all. Property tax through the roof. Humidity is awful, besides the heat. I'm not a political person so that didn't affect me in either state. Traffic in Texas was way worse than CA and poorer roads.

However, my retiring sister and her kids are moving to Texas for all the reasons others have posted.

I lived all over CA, North, South, Central---there's great areas everywhere. Beauty everywhere. But jobs and real estate are the deal-breakers. Many affordable areas, but no jobs. Same story everywhere.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,515,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I can only give you my personal experience when we did exactly what you are contemplating. I grew up in the 50's-60's and dreamed all my life of living in California.........hot rods, warm weather, cool lifestyle, etc. In 1979 I was offered a very good position in industrial credit in Southern California and we moved there.

A year later, I came home from work, and said to my wife, " Would you mind if we moved back to Pennsylvania" ? She said "How soon can we leave ?" We both hated it for so many reasons. The cost of living was ridiculous (even though we both had very good jobs) , the traffic was insane (I would sit in 5 lanes of traffic every morning), I found the people there to be a little disconnected with others and not super friendly, all our friends wanted to do was go to clubs and leave the kids with sitters (My wife and I were family people and included our kids in almost everything we did).

Now, there are a lot of really great people living there, and I am sure they love it, but it was not for us. Moving away was the best decision we made.

You live in FL, you want to talk disconnected people and traffic.....LOL.

In addition to hot and disgustingly humid weather 8 to 9 months out of year.

Oh and car insurance in FL is much higher than CA.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:44 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,649,735 times
Welfare is like any other state overall. There is no generous welfare system here, and if it were why would it bother you? Cost of living is high, but then again this depends on he location. Way up north near the Oregon border the cost of living is cheap. LA, San Francisco and major places, yes it's expensive. Traffic again depends on the location. Pollution again dpends, by the way Los Angeles is far less polluted than it was 30 years ago. No San Diego area is pretty fine, the safest major city in California besides San Jose. And if did not turn out well, like you said you can move to Texas or Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues