U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 06:17 AM

997 posts, read 573,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
This is exactly what we did. California is really better as a vacation destination than a place to live (I lived there for 20 years). We visit about once a year.

I have three sisters who still live there and two of them want to leave. It has nothing to do with the cost of living for them, they are both millionaires. For them, it's about the crime, the traffic, the dirty air, English becoming the second language, the liberal politics, having to pay for plastic bags in the grocery store, etc.

There are many fun things to do, but with the high cost of living, you spend so much of your time working, it's hard to fit in a trip to Disneyland or wine-tasting. I save so much money living in the Midwest, we go back once a year, do all the fun stuff and then go back home.
I can see all the complaints as being valid but the plastic bag law is good, and not a reason to hate a state.

I like the plastic bag law and it will be coming to a state near you.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:05 AM

749 posts, read 466,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I can see all the complaints as being valid but the plastic bag law is good, and not a reason to hate a state.

I like the plastic bag law and it will be coming to a state near you.
Agreed, I lean conservative/libertarian but I love this law!

Old 01-19-2017, 08:11 AM

6,396 posts, read 4,011,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
I've noticed if people mention about COL in CA they talk as a rule about Bay area/LA area. What abour further aras as Riverside, Corona etc.? Zillow shows the rent prices double lower than in Bay area though weather is still rather nice.
I figure that most people are afraid of huge traffic towards the sea. Does traffic really horrible? How long does it take to get to the sea from Riverside?
Yes, the traffic from Inland Empire cities like Corona and Riverside to the beach is rather horrible. Any time you would actually want to go to the beach (i.e. not the middle of the night), it's about a 1.5-hour drive in exasperating, stop-and-go traffic. It's hot there. And smoggy. You don't get the sea breezes.

Of course, Riverside is not "that" bad and it's reasonably close to LA and Orange County, on paper anyway. There are mountains, and on clear days and in the winter, the weather is pleasant. But those hot, dry, smoggy summer days...June through October...not so much fun.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:14 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,181,830 times
Like I said, I love where I live in Austin (native Texan) but I love California. I'd love to have a second house there - that will never happen. A ton of people still want to be in CA, even despite the cost of living. Now maybe they are dreamers and don't understand COL, but I interview high school kids for one of the Ivy League East Coast schools and it's so interesting - the vast majority of them want to be in CA and go to school there, work there, etc. Of course, I'm sure they all think they're going to be "startup millionaires" - but I get why they're attracted to the state - it's gorgeous in many places, there are a ton of companies there and the pay is high if you get into one of the big tech companies, law firms, etc., lots of people are excited to be there, etc.

I would be like your gf - I did extremely cold weather for 4 years and I said never again! I just can't stand being cold, having the sun go down at 3:30 in the winter, waking up to grey skies for 5 months... maybe this is more of an east coast thing than Ohio, but still. Moving somewhere really cold would be a deal-breaker to me.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
I hear you. I grew up in Texas and now live in the East Bay area of CA. (after stints in Boston, MA and the Seattle, WA area).

Cost of living is deadly. You will not be able to afford a house in any metropolitan area if your joint income is less than $300K, unless you have a sizeable down payment.

The politics here SUCK! The state is run by liberals and there are new and ever burdensome laws and regulations added daily.

I am a conservative leaning libertarian, so I feel surrounded by the enemy. BUT, I have met many rational people here with the same concerns and feelings about massive government overreach! There are pockets of reality nested among the assorted nut cases, but the quality of life, meaning the amount of sunshine and the ability to enjoy outdoor activities 9 - 10 months out of the year is (for me at least, at this point) worth the rest of it.

In all honesty, I would prefer to live in Texas, but at least I got my husband to move away from the Depression State of WA, since he has family here. You will not live in poverty if you earn $100 - $150K if you have NO DEBT, but you will not be in a situation where you can save a lot of money or have a lot of disposable income, but there are millions of people living in CA and not everyone of them work at Google or Apple, so you will be fine. Who knows, if enough of us libertarian types start showing up here, maybe we can have an effect on the governance of this once great state!

I was actually pretty liberal up until a few years ago. When I finally started paying attention to politics I began to slide in the direction of conservative/libertarian. It's funny how that works. Texas isn't perfect but from what I can tell it's much better than California. If I become a resident of California I will really try to become the most informed voter I can be.

We talked some more last night. I told her that I would be willing to try for a few years but that I was not committed to buying a house or settling down there. I still don't think she gets how difficult it is to own a home in California.

We don't have much to lose; Since 1) my current job is only a temporary position, 2)she does not want to stay at her current job, 3) we don't have any kids 4)Austin is getting more expensive, 5)we only have a few friends in Austin and none of them are super close.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I don't remember ever being billed to use the bathroom anywhere in this state
Back when I was a Roller Coaster Tycoon I used to charge these fools 20 to use the restroom. Capitalism at it's finest.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I would be like your gf - I did extremely cold weather for 4 years and I said never again! I just can't stand being cold, having the sun go down at 3:30 in the winter, waking up to grey skies for 5 months... maybe this is more of an east coast thing than Ohio, but still. Moving somewhere really cold would be a deal-breaker to me.
Coming from Ohio I am nostalgic for the cold, dark November days. But I think that's all it is...Nostalgia. If I went back today I have a feeling that I would immediately regret it.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:25 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,501,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Like I said, I love where I live in Austin (native Texan) but I love California. I'd love to have a second house there - that will never happen. A ton of people still want to be in CA, even despite the cost of living. Now maybe they are dreamers and don't understand COL, but I interview high school kids for one of the Ivy League East Coast schools and it's so interesting - the vast majority of them want to be in CA and go to school there, work there, etc. Of course, I'm sure they all think they're going to be "startup millionaires" - but I get why they're attracted to the state - it's gorgeous in many places, there are a ton of companies there and the pay is high if you get into one of the big tech companies, law firms, etc., lots of people are excited to be there, etc.

Meh, I think this is overstated. Cold people are more of an issue than cold weather IMO. Ohio is more severe than east coast though, unless maybe you're talking about Boston. Then again, the people in CA are practically wrapped up in jackets and snowpants when it drops to 75F. If you have a CA roommate and set the A/C even to 72, you can expect to get yelled at.

Ohio scenery is pretty boring, but snow is beautiful. Nevertheless, you can't eat mountains, and I wouldn't recommend drinking the ocean. If you're working a temp job in Texas, where the economy is great, I just can't see how living in California is going to work.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 AM

12,116 posts, read 10,250,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Ohio scenery is pretty boring, but snow is beautiful. Nevertheless, you can't eat mountains.
I'd avoid eating snow as well.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:34 AM

375 posts, read 311,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
As for this obsession about illegal immigrants, there are legal and illegal immigrants in every big city in the country. Especially somewhere like Texas!

If being around illegal immigrants is that big of an issue to you, you'll probably be limited to rural areas.
There is a world of difference between having some illegals around you and the state bending over backwards to attract and accommodate them. I'm speaking from experience as someone who has lived in both Maryland and Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues