Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 01:47 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Sorry, but UC Davis is not as good as UT Austin. If you had said UCLA or even San Diego, maybe.
NATIONAL RANKING OF BEST PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES IN USA, US New & World Report, 2017
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ies/top-public

#1 UC Berkeley
#2 UCLA

#10 UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, DAVIS (15 minutes from downtown Sacramento)
tied with *UC San Diego.

#16 University of Washington, Seattle
#18 University of Texas, Austin

#38 University of Colorado, Boulder
#46 University of Oregon, Eugene

*Other Best Colleges lists show UC Davis ranking higher than UC San Diego, UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara.

*There are several other sources that rank colleges, and they all put UC Davis above UT Austin.

UC Davis has been on the rise to the top tier for the last 10 years; its not known for football so that sort of immediately puts it out of view from the main stream.

UC Davis is also the largest University of California campus, both land wise (for expansion) and undergrad population.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-21-2017 at 02:25 PM..

Old 01-21-2017, 02:33 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,031 times
UT Austin:

In-state tuition $9806
#30 Bio, #12 Chemistry, #9 CS, #14 Math, #14 Physics

UC Davis:

In-state tuition $14046
#19 Bio, #35 Chemistry, #34 CS, #34 Math, #29 Physics

UT Austin gets better recruiting opportunities at career fairs. UC Davis will always live in the shadows of Berkeley and Stanford. If I had kids and were deciding where to live based on in-state tuition, I would probably choose TX over CA. Even if I chose CA, it would be for UCB/UCLA/UCSD. UCSB/UCD aren't bad, but they aren't top tier schools.

The UCs are also well known to be broke. I don't know about the UT schools. This means for example that the UCs are admitting as many out-of-state students as they can at the expense of in-state students.

Also, you can say what you like about sports, but college sports is a *fantastic* free marketing tool if you go to a public school. This helps when applying for jobs unrelated to sports. UT Austin may not have the same effect on your resume as Princeton, but academically, UCLA is more or less the same as UCSD, but writing UCLA on your resume has a much stronger effect than writing UCSD, for example.

Last edited by rarog; 01-21-2017 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-21-2017, 03:06 PM

rarog, you must be a UT Austin Alum..lol.

I'm sure their are several reasons why most of the sources that rank colleges put UC Davis higher than UT Austin.

In the academic world, UC Davis is widely known. Nothing wrong with football, I love it, I've been to UT games in Austin as well as UC Davis Aggies games in Sacramento and Davis.

UC Davis has Div I football, but no, they don't put as much money into football as UT does. In Sacramento, our local college football rivalry is Sacramento State vs. UC Davis (The Hornets vs. the Aggies).

Is UT Austin known as the absolutely best college in the world for something?

Because UC Davis is the #1 BEST Veterinary Medicine University in the WORLD, not such the state, not just the nation, but the WORLD. ....and it's been #1, or #2 for many many years.

It has the best research, teaching, animal hospital/facilities in the World. Being a Veterinarian is a very, very lucrative and highly respected profession this days. Who doesn't love their dogs, horses, and countless other pets, exotic pets, livestock, etc.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:29 PM

Nope, never even been to Austin. If you want to be a vet, then cool. But isn't that a separate program after undergrad anyway? UT Austin is clearly superior for STEM. The way I see it, it's not worth going to college these days unless you study STEM or a few other things (maybe business or whatever) given the hefty price tag.

I don't know how these undergrad usnews rankings work, what they're based on. The grad school rankings are more relevant for academics I think. Of course other aspects matter too, like size of school. UT Austin is huge.

Let's suppose you want to be a software developer. How do you compete with the Stanford and Berkeley grads coming from Davis? Or if you want to work in LA, how do you compete with the UCLA/USC/UCSD grads? (Or even UCI/UCSB.) UC Davis is a good school, but it's a tier below UT Austin.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
UC Davis is a good school, but it's a tier below UT Austin.
Not according to the overall rankings, UC Davis is rated higher than UT Austin.

You didn't answer the question, So I guess UT Austin is not tops in anything in the World.

#10 - University of California, Davis

#18 - UT Austin

Old 01-21-2017, 05:33 PM

Wait, so your argument is UCD > UT Austin because UCD is the top vet school? I assume you're a veterinarian who went to UCD? We're also talking about college, not vet school. So you'd be better off going to UT Austin for pre-med (pre-vet?), which is a better STEM school, then UCD for vet school.

I just looked at the rankings and they're all over the place. Placing UCSB and UCD ahead of (or tied with) UCSD and Wisconsin is a complete joke, as is placing those two schools right behind Georgia Tech and not that far behind Michigan.

Or putting Georgia right between Washington and UT Austin. Cringeworthy. Washington is #19 in bio, #24 in chemistry, #6 in CS, #25 in Math, #22 in physics. By comparison, Georgia is #42 in bio, #56 in chemistry, #90 in CS, #52 in math, #85 in physics. It's not even close. If you want to get something out of rankings, look at rankings for specific fields, preferably fields with a bright future. For example, CS, engineering, business, and so on. Also consider cost and local career fair/networking opportunities. Probably the best thing UCD has going for it is that it's near the bay area (which may be good or bad, based on some of the conflicting views presented in this thread).

All the big name companies in CA recognize that UT Austin is a great school and recruit there. But you also have recruiters from the local companies in Texas, giving you more variety. Sacramento does not have a booming economy compared to Texas, so I can't imagine the local recruiting is quite as good there. You're also competing with Stanford and Berkeley, as opposed to Texas A&M and Rice.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:10 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Why is that? What is wrong with Ohio?
I grew up in Akron. Lived in Dayton for 10 years.

Ohio, has all of the social ills of major metropolitan areas without the growth, economic activity, and prosperity to go along with it. A lot of people relying on entitlements. Basic jobs, an insult to anyone's skill set, and they don't pay much. Not a healthy economy at all. It wasn't that great when I was there in the early 2000s. Keeps getting worse every time I visit. Downtown Cleveland and Columbus looking good though.

You forget easily.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I grew up in Akron. Lived in Dayton for 10 years.

Ohio, has all of the social ills of major metropolitan areas without the growth, economic activity, and prosperity to go along with it. A lot of people relying on entitlements. Basic jobs, an insult to anyone's skill set, and they don't pay much. Not a healthy economy at all. It wasn't that great when I was there in the early 2000s. Keeps getting worse every time I visit. Downtown Cleveland and Columbus looking good though.

You forget easily.
I remember a phone call with a recruiter for a software engineer position in Columbus, she said they wanted an engineer with 2 years of experience for $32k. I had to ask if she was serious.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:03 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
I remember a phone call with a recruiter for a software engineer position in Columbus, she said they wanted an engineer with 2 years of experience for $32k. I had to ask if she was serious.
This

People forget there's a reason why Ohio is cheap. It's urban, but the infrastructure sucks. And Columbus is the largest city in the United States without any rail. Ohio is a melancholy type of urban experience. It doesn't have the energy of the coastal areas. Once you find your own space and people to fit in with, which is easy because the people are outgoing, it's not bad. Columbus is one of those older cities that has been extremely successful with it's status quo and has no reason to change anything. That is one of the things I've always hated about Ohio. Too stuck in it's ways. The only city with rail is Cleveland, and there have been plans to develop subways in various cities but nothing ever materialized. So the state's infrastructure is stuck in the fifties. Not to mention the fact that the governor is against transportation and wants to build more roads.

You might get streetcars there, like you have in Cincinnati, but Columbus is a big city, physically. It needs something better than what a streetcar can offer.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:16 PM

The OP mentions Sacramento as an option so just giving them some general information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues