U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 09:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 13,664,118 times

Advertisements

I've made quite a few moves in my life renting moving trucks, using pods etc...and I've never gotten bed bugs. But recently I had a friend who thinks he got bed bugs from a moving truck or pod. This led me to google this and it scared the you know what out of me. I didn't realize how risky it seems to use the trucks/pods in terms of bed bugs.

How do you go about moving using these methods and ensuring you don't get bed bugs? Do you literally have to wrap every single item up in plastic or something? This doesn't sound very fun at all. It was hard enough moving without having to seal my stuff up like it was going into an infested area. Just curious how big of a problem this is, and what I can do to protect myself against the possibility of this happening?
Rate this post positively

Old 01-24-2017, 12:51 PM

73 posts, read 87,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I've made quite a few moves in my life renting moving trucks, using pods etc...and I've never gotten bed bugs. But recently I had a friend who thinks he got bed bugs from a moving truck or pod. This led me to google this and it scared the you know what out of me. I didn't realize how risky it seems to use the trucks/pods in terms of bed bugs.

How do you go about moving using these methods and ensuring you don't get bed bugs? Do you literally have to wrap every single item up in plastic or something? This doesn't sound very fun at all. It was hard enough moving without having to seal my stuff up like it was going into an infested area. Just curious how big of a problem this is, and what I can do to protect myself against the possibility of this happening?
I've been in the moving industry for 14 years, and in that time, Not once has one of our moves resulting in any sort of claim for Bedbugs. While I'm sure this has happened in the past, The internet tends to exaggerate things into worst case scenarios.

If its a concern for you, Just buy a Bedbug Bomb at your local store and toss it in the POD/Rental Truck when you first receive it. Should ease any worrys you have.

I can assure you, There is no Bedbug Pandemic within the moving industry.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:44 AM

12,713 posts, read 13,664,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanATVL View Post
I've been in the moving industry for 14 years, and in that time, Not once has one of our moves resulting in any sort of claim for Bedbugs. While I'm sure this has happened in the past, The internet tends to exaggerate things into worst case scenarios.

If its a concern for you, Just buy a Bedbug Bomb at your local store and toss it in the POD/Rental Truck when you first receive it. Should ease any worrys you have.

I can assure you, There is no Bedbug Pandemic within the moving industry.
Thanks Dan, I figured as much but it's nice to get the info from someone with lots of first hand experience.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 AM

44,609 posts, read 55,575,051 times
I've never heard of this either, but you can get very inexpensive plastic mattress covers at moving supply places, which will give you piece of mind for your bedding.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:26 AM

5,105 posts, read 7,688,286 times
I moved several summers ago. It was hot enough in my Relocube to melt the beeswax that I use on the bottoms of my dresser drawers. I don't any bedbugs would've survived.

Just to be safe, I broom cleaned my cubes and inspected them carefully before loading. There was nothing alive in there!

Old 01-28-2017, 08:36 AM

756 posts, read 711,760 times
Bed bugs live on mattresses and suitcases and things, but they still need a food source. They don't eat human food that you may have packed in your boxes, they don't eat holes in your clothes like moths. They only live on human blood.

Bed bugs could transfer to a pod or moving truck from someone's belongings, but if they remain in one of these containers for more than a day or two, they will die from lack of food.

Bed bugs don't climb or fly onto humans and hang out like ticks either, they come into contact with humans by crawling on mattresses and biting arms and legs and things where they come into contact with the mattress. So it's even unlikely that a mover could bring the bed bugs with them.

Probably your friend moved into a home that was infested. People writing claims on the internet could have gotten bugs from anywhere--the hotel the slept in while they were in transit, from the new apartment or house. They may have had some other kind of bug (fleas, mites, spiders, etc.). These days it seems like everyone assumes any kind of bug is a bed bug.

If you are moving long distance your mattress will need to be wrapped in plastic. Make sure the plastic is fully sealed. You should be fine.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:48 AM

21,622 posts, read 18,284,903 times
A bedbug can go without food from 20 to 400 days: Bed Bug Management Guidelines--UC IPM

If you live in an area with an illegal alien population, expect the store shelves to all have bedbug products. I could not believe when we moved here since I had not seen these items on the store shelves in the other places we had lived.

When we were in the Tucson area, they were using U-Haul and such trucks to transport loads of illegal aliens through the desert, combine that with 3rd world refugees............ http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/23...aul-truck.html and http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...abrk/14340117/

Bedbugs is big business: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...ty-communities

Better safe than sorry. The link provides a wealth of information and comes from University of CA.

This is the Huff post, some people don't like that source, but a "google" will get you plenty of sources: Bed Bug Epidemic

Where we live, I won't even go to the library and check out a book because they can transport in one of those and we have a generous illegal alien population and a head lice epidemic!

I think there is enough evidence that one needs to take steps to protect themselves, just in case. Imagine just how nasty this is! One of the biggest problems is when people deny a problem exists.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:45 PM

443 posts, read 368,966 times
I am always amazed when people move things bare. Plastic bags for couches, chairs, and mattresses are very inexpensive. They keep the bugs out and also help prevent damage while moving.

I agree that any POD storage should get a bug bomb in it just in case too.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:44 PM

125 posts, read 71,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I am always amazed when people move things bare. Plastic bags for couches, chairs, and mattresses are very inexpensive. They keep the bugs out and also help prevent damage while moving.

I agree that any POD storage should get a bug bomb in it just in case too.
Great advice! That’s what we did!

Old 05-13-2018, 07:48 PM

15,858 posts, read 33,295,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Bed bugs live on mattresses and suitcases and things, but they still need a food source. They don't eat human food that you may have packed in your boxes, they don't eat holes in your clothes like moths. They only live on human blood.

Bed bugs could transfer to a pod or moving truck from someone's belongings, but if they remain in one of these containers for more than a day or two, they will die from lack of food.

Bed bugs don't climb or fly onto humans and hang out like ticks either, they come into contact with humans by crawling on mattresses and biting arms and legs and things where they come into contact with the mattress. So it's even unlikely that a mover could bring the bed bugs with them.

Probably your friend moved into a home that was infested. People writing claims on the internet could have gotten bugs from anywhere--the hotel the slept in while they were in transit, from the new apartment or house. They may have had some other kind of bug (fleas, mites, spiders, etc.). These days it seems like everyone assumes any kind of bug is a bed bug.

If you are moving long distance your mattress will need to be wrapped in plastic. Make sure the plastic is fully sealed. You should be fine.
Bedbugs can survive for 6 months without a meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues