U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 06:16 PM

72 posts, read 50,101 times

Advertisements

I was a snowbird for 10 years. I decided to consolidate in the middle. I sold 2 houses in 22 months and built a 3rd in all told about 24 or 25 months (for the 3 houses). My primary home had more junk than I realized and it was the one that went last. I'm single, so I did it all on my own. Hired movers from Uhaul website and drove my own trucks.

Not sure how I'm helping this thread along... lol.. I went from 2 cars to one, now back to 2.
I was actually getting kinda good at moving by the time I moved my stuff from storage into my new home. At this age and point, I think I'd rather die than move again. Might rent a temp 2nd residence somewhere else and switch it up when I got bored w/ it.

I guess, like Addie said, my biggest problem was the accumulation of things that I didn't want to take with me; and having 2 of a lot of things, some of which I never use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 12:09 AM

9,661 posts, read 15,793,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Two related things.

We hired the moving company to do some of the packing. A lot of our neighbors also came and pack for us while I was working and my wife was wrapping up loose ends or gone (she left early). I think the neighbors wanted to make certain that we actually left, so they all pitched in

When we arrived, we had to leave the boxes adn most of the furniture stored in the garage of a rented house. We had not idea where anything was. Some boxes were labeled, some were not. Some were labeled incorrectly.

The "professonal" packers charged by the box, plus materials cost (with the materials undoubtedly marked up). They did everything imaginable to maximize the price. We found boxes with our trash packed inside. Empty boxes. A box had grass clippings in it. A box had layer after layer of packing paper wrapped around something. It must have been very fragile. After unwrapping probably $15 of packing paper, I found - a wrench.

We could not move in to our permament home for over a eyar after we arrived. When we pullt the furniture out of the garage, several items were damaged. The moving company said "too bad that was a year ago"

My son, deperate to find the box that held his precious playstation, cut big holes in every box with a razor knife and used a flashlight to peer inside until he found it. Luckily, it was in the 30th box (we had about 1500 boxes I think).

Ype, ColdJ, I've had experiences to match yours! Especially with professional movers! Like you say, they will wrap anything to make another box, and those boxes are not cheap!

I had a basic minimum of "necessities" in the bathroom for last minute stuff---an old margarine tub with two slivers of soap, a 3/4 used roll of toilet paper, and an almost used up roll of paper towels. They packed that! They charged $14 for the box it was in, not including the paper! They must have used 10 sheets of paper just to wrap two slivers of soap!

But the worse experience with "professional movers" They wrapped the cat litter box, and the litter, kitty turds and all! All double bagged in something labelled bio-hazard I was driving kitty with me, and intended to throw all the litter and box away! No wonder kitty was upset, looking for her potty

Old 11-12-2017, 03:04 AM

11,210 posts, read 8,353,233 times
1. Packing
2. Unpacking

Old 11-12-2017, 05:31 AM

5,818 posts, read 5,151,688 times
Another pet related moving problem:

For some reason the movers loaded all 5 of the empty cat carriers into the moving van (without me noticing) then took off. I discovered this about 10 minutes after they had left. Because I was moving away from a very small town with no (practical) stores, I had to drive to the closest bigger town (45 minutes each way) and buy 5 new cat carriers - and all this before having to drive all night long to get to my new home. I was SO stressed out, and no, I wasn't able to leave the house as clean as I had meant to, because my cleaning time was spent chasing down new cat carriers!

The moral of the story is: guard the things you need to take with you in your own vehicle with your LIFE while the movers are there.

(the post above about the movers packing up a dirty cat box made me laugh so hard! )

Old 11-13-2017, 01:48 PM

23,335 posts, read 17,364,497 times
The biggest? Keeping track of critical papers like taxes, birth certificate, etc. All of that is stored in a special tote that I kept in the cab of the moving truck with me. I make sure I have no other totes like that one and it stays in my bedroom now.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:35 AM

698 posts, read 416,912 times
My wife color coded everything. There was never a doubt of what was to be moved or in what order. It's like cooking -- a little prep work goes a long way toward assuring a successful meal or move.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:19 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,556,259 times
The movers not being careful so they damage either something in the home or break personal items.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:54 AM

26,426 posts, read 62,665,397 times
For us it was the logistics of life. Getting a new license, finding a good doctor, dentist, orthodontist, car and house insurance, opthamologist, where to buy decent clothng or groceries for a good price, where to donate things or money, mechanic, plumber, establishing favorite restaurants, driving routes - also the fact that so many businesses were cash only or charged a huge fee for credit/atm. Before we moved, everything was credit card/atm - we never carried any cash at all and had to develop new habits.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:24 PM

305 posts, read 320,019 times
Money.

And the uncertainty. IF you get the job, if you can find this, if you can apply for that...

Old 11-22-2017, 04:53 AM

5,678 posts, read 5,902,658 times
The uncertainty of it all. Where am I am going to stay? How long will it take to find a job? Will I be able to adjust to the culture? Am I making a good decision?

As far as the move, I guess finding someone that will ship my car safely. I tried this before so I do not have much stuff. I will sell or donate whatever does not fit in the car that will be shipped. I am sad to sell my little dinette set but it is not worth shipping. It would be cheaper to buy another one.

The good part is that I feel hopeful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues