U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:45 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,008,153 times

Advertisements

I'm writing an article on people's biggest problem or frustration when relocating.

My biggest frustration is inertia, keeping the process moving ahead when there's no firm departure date. What's yours? Please chime in and give me some ideas. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 08:05 AM

11,210 posts, read 8,344,141 times
Well there was the time at the rest stop the cat crate fell off the seat of the HUGE YELLOW TRUCK and onto the pavement, (I'm not convinced the dog didn't push it) breaking into two pieces at which time the cat leaped back in and wedged himself under the brake pedal for fear of being left behind in the world of scary monsters.

Take away? Use nuts and bolts to secure animal crates and fasten them to the interior of the vehicle. Oh, and more Benadryl for the cat.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:51 AM

So far, I get the impression the biggest issues involve moving pets and children. Your post is a 1+ for that idea.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:02 AM

5,045 posts, read 5,957,365 times
I can't tell you how many times I was helping with a move and it came to a stop because of a lack of tools or the owners not having a pen, credit card, or other necessary item at hand. For example, we were trying to get a couch into the house and the door needed to be taken off. There wasn't a hammer or screw driver at hand to accomplish that. On another move, the home owner wanted to order us pizza, but she misplaced her purse. Nothing worse than being really hungry and having something like that happen.

When I move, I assemble some basic hand tools in a bucket (hammer, screw drivers, utility knife, duct tape, tape measure, several sharpies) and threaten to cut off fingers if any tools aren't returned to the bucket after use.

I also make up a transition box: tp, waterless soap, paper towels, paper plates and cups, small first aid kit, light bulbs, shower curtain, pen, pad, small flashlight. I place that on the kitchen counter (or in the kitchen first thing).

Lastly, I keep my purse locked in the car. And the last move (Ohio to Iowa) I kept my valuables in a flat tool box, under the passenger side seat, locked up.

Doing this allowed work to progress and no worries about anything being stolen, another frustration for some.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

Lastly, I keep my purse locked in the car. And the last move (Ohio to Iowa) I kept my valuables in a flat tool box, under the passenger side seat, locked up.

Doing this allowed work to progress and no worries about anything being stolen, another frustration for some.
Earlier I asked about driving cross country with valuables in the car. In my case it was tens of thousands' worth of jewelry. I couldn't get a satisfactory answer, so I flew into my destination city with my baubles and opened a vault account. Dumped all my jewels into the new vault. Drastic, yes. But end of problem.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:41 PM

4,367 posts, read 2,490,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
So far, I get the impression the biggest issues involve moving pets and children. Your post is a 1+ for that idea.
Yes, I have one child and two rabbits to move and get settled in!

Old 01-29-2017, 08:08 PM

609 posts, read 366,848 times
Living in a state of chaos--boxes everywhere.

Some things packed, other things not. Bumping into things, not being able to find things. Half-packed cupboards scattered everywhere. Argh!

Old 01-29-2017, 08:48 PM

239 posts, read 521,991 times
Packing early and then realizing that something you need is in a box on the bottom of the stack. That happened on our last move.

I went to make biscuits, had the dough all ready to be cut out and what am I missing? The pan to put them on. I had to put them in a 9x13 pan instead and they didn't turn out so great. I also did that with a potato masher once and my neighbor didn't have one I could borrow. Had to use a fork on that and they were a bit lumpy. You'd think that after doing it twice I'd learn my lesson, but we'll see the next time we move if I remember.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:49 PM

6,096 posts, read 9,014,686 times
Coordinating the move with the new house purchase and the new loan (if there is one). When the closing on your old house is one date and the closing on the new house is 2 weeks later, where do you go? Where do you put your stuff? Trying to sleep at night when all you want to do is get a bottle of whiskey and go at it.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:31 PM

11,210 posts, read 8,344,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Coordinating the move with the new house purchase and the new loan (if there is one). When the closing on your old house is one date and the closing on the new house is 2 weeks later, where do you go? Where do you put your stuff? Trying to sleep at night when all you want to do is get a bottle of whiskey and go at it.
Two week cruise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues