U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 07:19 AM

13 posts, read 7,043 times

Advertisements

Looking to move 5 hrs away (From Delaware to Roanoke area of VA)..its not set in stone yet, one of the big things is how do we transition a move without a company we can transfer within?

My husband is currently in the auto body field, but has also worked as a security guard, moving truck driver (not CDL), and done some construction jobs. His company..and most auto body places family owned, are not chains...he has been lucky here and has gotten a new job almost immediately after leaving one or getting laid off (3, maybe 4 times now, hes a lucky guy)

My degree is in advertising and print design (graphic design) but I left the field for a while, worked as a retail manager for a couple of years, and am now a commercial insurance customer service representative. But I work for a brokerage so I work with many different carriers. Its not like I am just with state farm or progressive and I can just pick up and apply for another agency down there. Plus I would have to get re licensed in that state.

We are taking a trip this spring to get a feel for the job market and cost of living down there, but want to get some ideas first. Got any stories to share about how you moved without being able to just transfer?

It may come down to selling our house, and us moving in with my parents while we work on getting jobs down there. I am not worried about him finding work, but I am scared hes going to get hired, we will have to start renting ASAP in VA, and ill be stuck in DE working to keep money flowing in.

Our plan is far from complete so just looking for stories of how people successfully/unsuccessfully moved their careers to another state.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-07-2017, 02:30 PM

14 posts, read 9,092 times
We moved from MS to FL, my husband drove down one day with some resumes and went to various places in the field he works in. I faxed his resume to another company who didn't accept walk ins, and they called him the next day. He drove down again to meet with them a few days later, and they hired him the day after that. Another thing we did, was when it got close we went ahead and changed our phone numbers to "local where we moved to" numbers.
For me, the company I worked for actually had an office where we were moving to, they had an opening, and I sent my resume in, but the position was way beneath my training, so I moved on.... about two weeks after we moved here I got a call from the office manager here, they had a recent opening for my job in their office and she tracked me down to reach me, since my number had changed by that point.
we lucked out on our house, my sister was moving back to the town we were leaving and ended up renting it for a few months, buying us some time(we didn't want to have to move out of our house and not be ready just yet). we did end up renting, so by the time our lease is up, we will be nice and familiar with different neighborhoods.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:55 PM

13 posts, read 7,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandles712 View Post
We moved from MS to FL, my husband drove down one day with some resumes and went to various places in the field he works in. I faxed his resume to another company who didn't accept walk ins, and they called him the next day. He drove down again to meet with them a few days later, and they hired him the day after that. Another thing we did, was when it got close we went ahead and changed our phone numbers to "local where we moved to" numbers.
For me, the company I worked for actually had an office where we were moving to, they had an opening, and I sent my resume in, but the position was way beneath my training, so I moved on.... about two weeks after we moved here I got a call from the office manager here, they had a recent opening for my job in their office and she tracked me down to reach me, since my number had changed by that point.
we lucked out on our house, my sister was moving back to the town we were leaving and ended up renting it for a few months, buying us some time(we didn't want to have to move out of our house and not be ready just yet). we did end up renting, so by the time our lease is up, we will be nice and familiar with different neighborhoods.
That's great! Glad things worked out for you guys! I am thinking that is going to be our plan of action, and just hope the timeline lines up. Thanks for the insight!

Old 02-11-2017, 12:52 AM

646 posts, read 780,963 times
I've done it. I went from Columbus to DC metro figuring that I'd stand a better chance of finding employment. I ended up having to work for a few months as a full-time volunteer in my profession before I found a job. In the grand scheme of things, it was a shrewd move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or