Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 07:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

If you change accounts or banks, make sure to take care of all the automatic payments you have set up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 AM

82 posts, read 81,646 times
I've moved many times. Just keep your account open at your old bank so that you can write checks for the last bills that come in. Also, be sure to close any automatic payment accounts you have with the bank to pay your bills, Then open a new account in your new city. Have your old bank send you a cashier's check for the bulk of your checking account. Talk to a personal banker at your new bank, and set up a checking account, savings, etc. When CD's mature at your old bank, you can just transfer them. Also, be sure to eventually write a letter closing your checking account at your old bank. Otherwise, they continue to charge you fees. Enjoy your new city!

Old 02-16-2017, 12:04 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
I still have accounts open and in use at 2 credit unions in states I no longer live in. With online banking and atm fee refunds being fairly typical these days I don't really see a need for a local bank unless you have a lot of cash deposits.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Thanks, everybody, for helping me sort it out. Maybe it seems obvious, but as you can imagine I have way too much on my mind and occasionally go blank.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:53 PM

12 posts, read 15,784 times
Think about it less of transferring and more of opening a new and closing an old. I'd recommend going with a national one (e.g. CapitalOne Bank, BOA, Wells Fargo) to simplify it for future moves. So essentially you open up a new account with the new provider. Once you have everything set with your new account, new address, new checks, etc., you can transfer over the money and start writing from the new one. You can then close your old too. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2017, 06:34 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
You can pay some bills with money orders for a week or two so you don't have uncashed checks at the time of your move. You won't have to wait for checks to clear. Then you can take all your money with you when you leave.

If you give your new address to service companies, they will send final bills to your new address and you can pay them from your new account. (I paid my final power bill from VA after I moved to MI.)

Depending on how much money you are closing out and how far you are going, you may not want to carry that much cash with you.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:07 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
when I moved I did close an account at a local bank. They wrote me a check which I put into the new local bank

The credit union I left and it is easy to do everything online. The local bank I use to cash small checks if needed.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:18 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
If it is the same bank chain (moving from Bank Of America to another Bank of America) then all you have to do is call them and change your address.

If you are moving to a new chain (moving from Bank of America to Wells Fargo) then you need to plan for a month or two transfer...

You need to:
  1. Make a list of all the automatic debits and deposits to you current (old) account.
  2. Open your new account
  3. Transfer all your direct deposits to your new account
  4. Start the transfer of all your old automatic debits from your old account and set them up for your new account.
  5. Transfer most of your money to the new account.
  6. Leave about two hundred dollars in your old account in case there are any debits to that account that you have forgotten.
  7. Wait two months to be sure you have not forgotten any other debit. While waiting, check your old account frequently to see if any funds have been taken (debited) from your old account. If there have been any, transfer them to your new account.
  8. Once two months (or long enough time has passed for you to be sure all your old debits are accounted for) close the old account and move the remaining moneys to your new account.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:53 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I still have accounts open and in use at 2 credit unions in states I no longer live in. With online banking and atm fee refunds being fairly typical these days I don't really see a need for a local bank unless you have a lot of cash deposits.

My take on it too. We moved to a new state and kept our accounts in our home state. Never was an issue, especially when a lot of financial institutions are part of a shared banking network. We ended up moving back home, so it worked out for the best that we never closed our accounts there.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:11 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If it is the same bank chain (moving from Bank Of America to another Bank of America) then all you have to do is call them and change your address.

If you are moving to a new chain (moving from Bank of America to Wells Fargo) then you need to plan for a month or two transfer...

You need to:
  1. Make a list of all the automatic debits and deposits to you current (old) account.
  2. Open your new account
  3. Transfer all your direct deposits to your new account
  4. Start the transfer of all your old automatic debits from your old account and set them up for your new account.
  5. Transfer most of your money to the new account.
  6. Leave about two hundred dollars in your old account in case there are any debits to that account that you have forgotten.
  7. Wait two months to be sure you have not forgotten any other debit. While waiting, check your old account frequently to see if any funds have been taken (debited) from your old account. If there have been any, transfer them to your new account.
  8. Once two months (or long enough time has passed for you to be sure all your old debits are accounted for) close the old account and move the remaining moneys to your new account.
There ya go; simple, detailed, and easy. However, regarding #7, your old bank may have a specific time span that you will have to follow. If so, don't argue, just do it their way. After the time limit expires (either yours or theirs, whichever is longer), empty the old account and close it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues