U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:06 AM

643 posts, read 509,223 times

Advertisements

Keep trying those areas while you live wherever you live now. My DH indicated his willingness to relocate and he flew out for interviews while keeping his resume and linkedin the same. We stayed behind and packed up/sold the house and moved a couple months after had started the new job. However we did not put the house on the market until the job was for real. First interviews are usually by phone anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 06:56 AM

7,240 posts, read 3,002,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You just need to keep your wife happy. Ask her opinion and honor it. If you go out of town, don't blow it with another woman, and all should work out just fine.
Unfortunately this happens too often.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:08 AM

2,116 posts, read 2,899,218 times
OP, don't move without a job. I know that employers' discrimination against out of state candidates is alive and well so you need to do whatever you have to do to beat them at their game. Moving without a job though, is too risky and costly.

You said you already received tons of interview requests, that's very promising! Why not set up those interviews back-to-back in 1-2 weeks stretch, that way you can drive there and stay there for your interviews, and then move when you have a job offer? Use priceline and hotwire for your hotel stay for those interviews. You should be able to find affordable 3* business hotels for your stay at $45 - $65 per night on those websites, cheaper than airbnb for sure. Stick with business hotels as they have more amenities than regular hotels (free parking, free breakfast, free internet, most have kitchennette to make simple meals so you can save more money).

2 weeks' notice is standard professional courtesy so tell these prospective employers that you will need 2 weeks' notice before you can start and use the time to secure your new accomodation for your move. If they press, just say you need that much time to secure long term child care arrangement for your kids before you go back to work. Or whatever convincing excuse you can find to buy you those extra time.

I did everything I wrote above when I was in your situation back in 2009. I finally moved by myself to my new location with a job offer, while my husband stayed back to sell our house. Once all affairs in old location were taken care of, then he followed me here.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:21 AM

13,840 posts, read 25,215,602 times
I wouldn't actually move till I had a job! Over the years we were forced into doing this a couple times and it always worked out just fine!

Old 03-06-2017, 11:22 AM

8,044 posts, read 5,844,557 times
If you move and look for a job you have closed out all other possibilities. Also you are on the hook for all expenses. If you find a job and move to it you may get help from the employer or deduct the moving costs.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:27 AM

11,036 posts, read 3,934,497 times
How old are your kids? They will miss you and that will put more stress on everyone!

I agree with everyone else, don't move until you have a job. Skype for interviews or fly out if you can. Staying by yourself in a hotel or other situation will be WAY too costly and especially makes no sense if you have already been out of work that long!

Old 03-06-2017, 06:05 PM

9,390 posts, read 17,309,102 times
I'll go against the majority and say it sounds fine to me. You haven't indicated what kind of job you'll be seeking, but if you're looking for lower-income jobs, you just about have to be there to get hired. Those are the kinds of jobs you land today and start working at tomorrow... or soon. Professional/skilled applicants are more difficult to find, so businesses are more likely to consider hiring those from across the country and waiting a few weeks for them to start. They're also more apt to pay moving expenses, etc.

Either way, you've got to visit potential employers for interviews, and as I understand it, that's your plan. Good luck!

Also, have your ducks in a row before you leave. If you partake of the weed, get it out of your system before you make your trip. It may be legal in Oregon and Washington, but some jobs/employers still won't hire (or keep) an employe who can't pass a drug test.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:55 AM

9,705 posts, read 7,994,553 times
2 of the 3 places you mentioned are VERY high cost. Make sure you understand just how expensive a 3 BR rental is, especially Seattle which is booming.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:28 PM

201 posts, read 126,136 times
HI TaylorMan91,
We have moved multiple times. ***Since I don't know what you do (what field you work in), what area of the country you're in now, if your wife works or has the ability/ desire to work and in what field, and what your goals are it's hard to answer but so far I'd say the following:

If you can answer some of the stuff I listed above in particular ** what field you work in people can probably help more. But anyway, my buddy was the breadwinner, I had a kid and stayed behind in New England, (after online research for his field we decided the goal was for him to go to NC or TX, NC came up first for job offers). He rented an apartment (did NOT want to have to worry about scams renting via distance) because that was safer (also it had fitness room, laundry, cable, internet included $$$). You do NOT want to move the family accidentally to a bad neighborhood or get ripped off. Certain states are major rip off renter situations. Also you want time to online and preferably in person to investigate school systems for the kids. You don't want to move the whole fam to a place that looks nice, only to find the schools are unsafe/crazy.

I highly suggest you leave the family behind, where they are safe and they possibly have relatives/ friends. You can then move, talk to coworkers, get to know areas, maybe if you don't want to select a place without her input, have someone watch the kids (if possible) and have her fly out for a day or so to see places "live". I came out once just to visit (he lived in NC a total of a year while we tried to sell the house/ kid finished high school). He selected the rental house. I moved down.

Again- not sure what you do for work but can you interview by phone/ skype? Many companies that require 2nd, 3rd interviews will do the first and possibly 2nd this way. Of course it's best to have a written job offer before moving but if not pay attention to the job boards, see where the jobs are and consider posting in the forums on city-data to see what are the safer areas to live. As another person posted those areas are known for being expensive. If you know a relative or friend in another state, you may be better off renting a room from them.

This can be done, and may be a pain but safety is number 1 with kids and the family (and you).
NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMan91 View Post
So I'll start out by saying that we've had an extremely hard year. I lost my job in January of 2016 and have yet to find another job here since. After months of conversation between my wife and I, we have brought up the possibility of me moving to a new city by myself and staying in a hotel or airbnb until something comes along. I've changed my indeed ans Linkedin locations to Seattle, Portland, and Spokane and I've gotten a ton of offers for interviews. So I don't feel as though it'll be hard to find a job after moving, I just wanted opinions on the idea of my wife staying at home with our 2 kids until I've worked for a few months to get a rent house set up.

I've said that I would fly back and visit every 4 -6 weeks for a few days to help with her and the kids. If all else fails and I dont find a job, I would have to come back and continue looking for a job here.

Thanks for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or