U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:35 AM

385 posts, read 1,447,656 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Any good recommendations for long distance movers?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 02:26 PM

10,909 posts, read 29,397,473 times
The Move Advocate™ from your professional REALTOR® saves you time and money and it’s ABSOLUTELY FREE!
Here are the benefits you will enjoy:

- Discounted National Rates
- Guaranteed Van Line Estimates
- FREE Multiple Estimates
- Free Valuation up to $75,000
- No Peak Season Rate Increases

www.moveadvocate.com 800-825-1171

Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 PM

20,903 posts, read 39,179,200 times
Maddie: I second what 2BeInDenver says. Our realtor back in Fairfax, VA hooked us up with a local afilliate of National Van Lines and we had a great move. It wasn't a part of the program recommended above, which sounds like a good deal, especially the $75k insurance.

We took "full value" insurance on our stuff as we had lots of books, collectibles and antiques. Without that coverage, I think most van lines are required to pay you only $1.25 per pound for your goods. If the truck catches fire in a wreck and ALL your belonging are burned up or destroyed, you'll get a pittance of what they're worth at $1.25 per pound.

There's quite a few tips on cleaning out the house before a move at:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/other...house-tip.html

My best tip is to work with a realtor (I'm not one) and get their advice, we found it made all the difference.

Also check the Federal site: http://www.protectyourmove.gov/ for info, as there are a lot of bad actors in the moving business and you need to protect yourself. I think the program that 2BeInDenver recommended will do that. A firm, written, guaranteed estimate is fairly essential to getting a smooth move....avoid the no-name low-bid rip-off artists.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:10 PM

Default A Million Thanks!

I can't thank you two enough for the valuable information!
I'm a complete nervous wreck about finding the right apartment and the right movers.
I think I need to "chill out" for a couple days

Thanks again (and again and again and again)

MaddieClaire

Old 12-03-2006, 05:13 PM

615 posts, read 2,765,708 times
I wish I would remember the name of our moving company. We wanted to save some money, so we packed the truck ourself and they (of course) drove it to CO. We filled half of a long semi trailer with our goods from our small house (1300 sqft) and paid by the foot. We didn't have anything broken, since we were careful in packing. When the Navy moved us once, the movers were no where near as careful with our stuff.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:38 PM

39 posts, read 175,691 times
We maybe moving to WV from FL, and I just got a quote from ABF, they will do a door to door move and quote per foot. They have been doing it for years so check them out, I was happy with the estimate and I will let ya know if they treat us right (my move maybe in a few weeks).

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2006, 11:12 PM

53 posts, read 463,306 times
We have moved Long Distance twice (and a half).

First move we used Mayflower. Mayflower had a good rate, so we went with them, I shopped mainly for rates durnig this move. IT was From Houston,TX to Portland, OR. The truck our goods were on broke down during the move and it was over a week delayed. The contract does stipulate that if they are past a certain date they are required to give you a per diem. per day they are late. It was a little bit of a hassle dealing with the paperwork involved, but they did give us the per diem for the trouble. So while the move was stressful and late, we were compensated for it.

Second move was Portland, OR back to Houston. This time we went with Allied Van Lines. This move went far smoother than the first one. no complaints at all. The moving van could not make the turn into the apartment complex, so the movers had to trudge my stuff from the street across the complex to my apartment. I did work a deal with them to pay the moving guys directly for this trouble instead of paying the moving company the "standard long move surcharge" It was a wash I paid them the same as the charge, but I didn't have to do any paperwork, and since they got the money directly they were happier and did a great job moving my stuff.

The final 1/2 move is still in progress sort of. I am living overseas temporarily so all my stuff is in storage with Greabal Van Lines. This was paid for by my company and they are more expensive than some other van lines from what I can gather, but the service was unbelievable. Of course when I go back to the states they have to finish by doing the unpacking, but wow... A class act this place. They built Wooden crates for breakable/fragile items. They itemized everything, and their service and timeliness during the pickup was amazing....

Anyway.. Good luck hope this extra info helps you in your Move. When we come back to the states we are moving to Denver ourselves.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:57 AM

Excellent information from everyone, and I thank you all so much!
I just learned that the company my husband works for will be arranging and paying for the move (nice surprise). This will be our first ever corporate move, and I have no idea what to expect.
I don't even know what a relocation package is.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:51 AM

10,909 posts, read 29,397,473 times
You will be assigned a counseler who will go over the details of the benefits package with you.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
You will be assigned a counseler who will go over the details of the benefits package with you.
Thank you!
I hope they set-up the move itself.... I'm basically clueless as far as long distance moving goes.
I think everything is happening so fast that I'm a bit overwhelmed.
I thank all of you on this board for the helpful information - if everyone in Denver is as nice as you follks are then moving to Denver will be a pleasure!
Merry Christmas!
Maddie Claire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues