U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 11:25 AM

33 posts, read 34,109 times

Advertisements

When did you feel content in what you were doing for a career and where you live? What age were you and where did you end up?

I battle with this question daily and can't stop thinking about my future. I work full time and am in school full time. I have the next year before graduating to save up as much money as i can and enjoy where i currently live but i can't stop thinking about my future and feel like i need to decide right now where i will end up for the rest of my life. Some days it is california, some days it is in a mountain town in wyoming or montana, and other days it is in a coastal new england town.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:11 PM

3,431 posts, read 1,527,565 times
Do you know what you want out of life? Wide open spaces---WY or MT.
Quaint, historic places---New England
Beaches, crowds, lots to do---CA
Forests, cloudy, rainy? OR, WA, No. CA

But these places vary greatly in cost. What do your finances look like?
I lived in all these places and found lots to like in all of them. Of course, downsides too, but it was fun to experience so many places. If your job can travel, try as many as you can!

Old 03-26-2017, 05:38 PM

609 posts, read 374,644 times
I guess I've always felt content with my career choice and have mostly been happy with where I've lived.

But I've never felt like I HAD to spend my whole life in one career and certainly not living in one place. Perhaps that's the key to happiness--not limiting yourself to one thing or expecting that what you want in life will never change.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 PM

372 posts, read 409,189 times
I understand.

Here's the good news--you don't have to decide right now.

All you have to do, is to find some joy--everyday--right where you are.

I have had multiple careers (not jobs, but professional careers). Lived in multiple amazing places.

I could have never "figured out" my life forward. Especially from my simple beginnings.

I know what it's like to work full time and go to school full time. Crazy brutal great.

The more you let yourself simply be where you are, do the best for yourself and your life, and have some fun...>>

The more you will "know"--from deep inside--what your next, best, step is.

Hold what you love in your heart. Work--live--play--love--Discover and BE yourself.

The rest will unfold organically as the world and opportunities rise to meet you.

These are the glory years of you becoming you. Ahhh... the best. Have fun!!

Old 03-27-2017, 08:20 PM

722 posts, read 509,583 times
Sansea said it perfectly. You have plenty of time. I've had many careers and the path of life is not stagnant. Never thought I would be where I am today. Live your life now. Take time to explore! I will say I never felt truly "home" until we moved out of New Mexico last year. Wish I would have done it sooner but I guess that wasn't my journey. Best of luck!

Old 04-01-2017, 09:45 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,756,105 times
First job after education: you live where you get the "best" job offer. My first full time job as professional (not counting the USN) was in Eastern WA. I wasn't wild about the location, but the job sounded interesting and was right up my alley. It took my wife and I and 2 children about 9-12 months to adjust from Mpls - St. Paul, where I was a grad student, although my wife was from the west and I spent 4 years as an undergraduate in Colorado. "Out West" was appealing. From there I moved to Portland, OR, DC (twice), and Boulder, CO before coming to Copenhagen. 9-12 months was our standard for adjustment. I turned down jobs in Oakland and Philly. I am originally from Massachusetts. I didn't realize how much I missed New England until after I moved overseas. I wouldn't have lived in NYC for all the food in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or