U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 11:19 AM

38 posts, read 84,497 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Definitely moving to this area, (Kingman) stayed here a year looking at homes, areas, talking to people. We have a wonderful, helpful agent and know the neighborhoods we will move to. Can't pick out a house yet, as we need to go back to K.C. Mo. to sell 90% of our lifetime and business accumulation of 'stuff' and our home. What a nightmare that will be.
My question for the wise and helpful readers of the City Data Forum; how did you move here from your past area? Moving van with packing, moving, storage here?
You-pack in those cube deals, rent a big truck and drive it out here? or.....
We will have a 3 bedroom home, basement and garage stuff, but it will be minimal: Tools, some welding, Plasma cutting machines and associated materials.
We had a HVAC company run from the home. Now a Leather business.
We plan on auctioning, garage sale, Craig's list, so on.. most of the furniture and materials, but will keep enough for a 3 bedroom home here.
Please offer and suggestions, give your experiences from your relocation.
Thanks. My wife and I love your town, and the nice people we have met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 10:06 AM

538 posts, read 1,129,575 times
I have hired movers to pack and move my things, and I have hired movers and packed myself. Get the insurance for full value replacement - movers aren't responsible if they break your crap believe it or not, but I have had no problem getting things fixed when I had the full value replacement insurance. I would never do the thing where you get your friends to help you load and unload your truck unless you don't care if your stuff gets scratched and broken. IMO, having made 4 long distance moves in my adult life, I think self-packing and professional movers to transport your stuff is the way to go. Packing isn't that hard and it's expensive to have movers do it for you and the one time I had that done I didn't like the way my stuff was packed. Drive your own cars, it is ridiculously expensive to have someone move it for you, and even then it will spend a week bouncing around on the back of a semi. The one time I had the moving company take my car, it needed new wheel bearings when I got it back. That was a few hundred $$ on top of the exorbitant amount of money my company paid the movers to ship it. Also, there are a lot of things the movers won't take that you can't take on a plane. Unless you want to throw those things away, you'll have to drive them to your new home. You'll also want to transport valuables yourself.

I have gotten warehouse storage in the past when I didn't have a new home to move into on the other side of the country. I've done that twice. The downside is that you don't have access to your stuff until you call for it to be delivered. The upside is that it's temperature controlled and out of your way. I'm not a fan of mini storage. I don't think they're very secure.

If you are an AAA member, full value replacement insurance is free with Atlas. Otherwise, it's extra, depending on the weight of your shipment. My shipment was estimated at about 6500 lbs and the quotes for full value replacement insurance were around $450-650 on top of the $5k for the moving. I joined AAA just to get the discount when I moved a few years back, on the advice of the moving consultant. I've only had furniture broken once, but I just notified the moving company and they had a repair company pick up the broken piece and they dropped it off fixed a few weeks later, no cost to me. I can't even tell it was ever broken.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:24 AM

5,351 posts, read 2,777,271 times
We made two long-distance moves by driving U-Haul trucks and our own vehicles.

First move, from CO to WA:
1. One 17' U-Haul truck trip by me alone; flew back to CO.
2. Next, one run using my own truck and trailer, me alone again. Flew back to CO.
3. Second 17' U-Haul truck run by me, and my husband drove his SUV.
4. Months later, my husband flew back to CO and then drove the remaining car to our new house in WA.
Whew!

Second move, from WA to CO:
1. One 20' U-Haul truck driven by me, and my husband drove his SUV. Both of us flew back to WA.
2. One 14' U-Haul truck run driven by my husband, and I drove my truck. A few months later, we both flew back to WA.
3. We drove in the remaining car back to CO.
And it's not over yet. We are renting while we look for a home to buy. So there will be another move, but this time it will be very local.

BTW, we are back to where, long ago, we originally thought we wanted to retire. Took a 4-year detour and found out that western WA is not "home" to us. Especially not the town we lived in.

Call around. I checked costs of using ABF U Packit, U-Haul's version of the storage cube service, then compared with driving U-Haul trucks ourselves. Driving ourselves was definitely cheaper, even when adding in fuel and motel costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues