U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 04:08 PM

9,080 posts, read 8,221,122 times

Advertisements

My two cents is that $70,000 goes a helluva lot further in Dallas, Texas than it does in Connecticut.

You'd have a much higher standard of living.

You are young, try it for a while and if you hate it, start job hunting again in Connecticut.

Also, the weather is balmier.

Seriously, what do you have to lose?

Old 04-02-2017, 04:08 PM

13,843 posts, read 25,223,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Eh, the way I see it is....if I can't get a job here, might as well be open to anywhere, regardless of distance. Like I said, when I lived in Fairfield County, CT, I still felt "away" from home and like a total transplant. And it's not like I was just going to hop in my car and drive 90 minutes to visit family. I typically visit them about once every two months and they currently live 35 mins away.
The phone works just as well from 2000 miles away. I don't see the issue, you don't see them that much anyway! Go have an adventure!

Old 04-02-2017, 04:09 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,575,589 times
I would look a bit longer locally. There are no guarantees that you'll get the work life balance in other locations. You especially won't have your support network, and that is very hard to live without. I know that from personal experience.

If it were me, knowing what it is like to relocate I would stay put and take a small pay cut if it were me. It takes so much out of you not having family close, especially when you are used to it. It also sounds like your parents might be getting older, so you have that to consider too.

It is very hard to adjust to a different region in the U.S. and Chicago would certainly not be cheap COL....nor would Texas for that matter.

Did you apply for the two openings in your area?? Have you heard from the last one? Don't discount networking since you are local. I'd be on the phone to all my professional contacts and pounding the pavement daily.

I suggest that you sit down...make a list of all the benefits that you enjoy living where you are. Those will be missing with a relocation....those are priceless in my book.

Then take a look at your budget...most of us can shave a few unnecessary items off our budget in a pinch.

I hope you choose whatever you decide is best for you in the long term. Good luck

Old 04-02-2017, 04:20 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,967,018 times
These coming years are your career making years. The ones that set how much money you can make.

Are you saying you are an unemployed tax accountant? Do not ever purposefully downgrade your career path.

MOVE.
Move, yesterday.

Get a job with the most demanding, bust your butt, make your mark accounting firm that you can. Work those mega hours and make a ton of money to off set your losses from being unemployed. Rent a small place to live.

If you work for a big 4 or even 8 firm for at least 3 years, you will have no trouble getting a job regionally. Then you can pick the work environment you want for next 20-25 years.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:42 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,064,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
These coming years are your career making years. The ones that set how much money you can make.

Are you saying you are an unemployed tax accountant? Do not ever purposefully downgrade your career path.

MOVE.
Move, yesterday.

Get a job with the most demanding, bust your butt, make your mark accounting firm that you can. Work those mega hours and make a ton of money to off set your losses from being unemployed. Rent a small place to live.

If you work for a big 4 or even 8 firm for at least 3 years, you will have no trouble getting a job regionally. Then you can pick the work environment you want for next 20-25 years.
I already started out my career working for a big 4 firm and after 1.5 yrs was severely burnt out and had to quit. I will never ever return to public accounting ever again. In fact, I would rather die. Seriously.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:48 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,064,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would look a bit longer locally. There are no guarantees that you'll get the work life balance in other locations. You especially won't have your support network, and that is very hard to live without. I know that from personal experience.

If it were me, knowing what it is like to relocate I would stay put and take a small pay cut if it were me. It takes so much out of you not having family close, especially when you are used to it. It also sounds like your parents might be getting older, so you have that to consider too.

It is very hard to adjust to a different region in the U.S. and Chicago would certainly not be cheap COL....nor would Texas for that matter.

Did you apply for the two openings in your area?? Have you heard from the last one? Don't discount networking since you are local. I'd be on the phone to all my professional contacts and pounding the pavement daily.

I suggest that you sit down...make a list of all the benefits that you enjoy living where you are. Those will be missing with a relocation....those are priceless in my book.

Then take a look at your budget...most of us can shave a few unnecessary items off our budget in a pinch.

I hope you choose whatever you decide is best for you in the long term. Good luck
Well, I originally started my search only looking locally, but that quickly proved to be a dead search. Nonetheless, I continue to search locally and will not stop looking locally. But two job applications in a 4-week period is abysmal, to be honest. The first job I applied to, already rejected me. The second job I applied to, I received an email saying that I'm still under consideration (as of Friday). My fingers are crossed...maybe this week they will contact me or something.

My network around here is extremely limited. I've already reached out to my recruiters who are all on the lookout for opportunities for me....but none of them found anything for me yet. I don't know of anyone around here who conveniently has a job for me locally at this time, that I'm qualified for, at my career level, etc. It's just a niche career path.

Ideally, I would want to find a suitable job locally, but if I do have to relocate in order to have a suitable job, it will be both stressful and exciting at the same time. I'm not opposed to relocating, but I'm viewing it as a backup plan in the even that I can't find something here....and it's safe to say that I probably won't find anything around here.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:57 PM

18,662 posts, read 7,254,076 times
Quote:
....and it's safe to say that I probably won't find anything around here.
I agree, as last year was hardly fruitful or past Ct searches for you. Columbus, Ohio brought you quick results. I do expect any offer to come out of Connecticut, assuming you search in areas with terrific growth.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 04-02-2017 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-02-2017, 05:22 PM

11,036 posts, read 3,939,085 times
Quote:
Again, three of the six job departures were not my decision. So, don't blame me for an employer's decision to lay me off. How on earth can I control mass layoffs or budgetary matters?? But I do understand that a prospective employer may not see it that way, because it is not apparent just by looking at a resume. So, it's just something I have to deal with.

Of course, it's not likely that my starting pay would remain flat year after year. But that is true for either general accounting or tax accounting jobs. So it's an apples with apples comparison anyway.

I do agree with your point #2 though. Like I said once before, ugly people end up marrying ugly people. Same goes for employers and employees. It is highly unlikely that I will end up with a quality employer in my next role, unfortunately. So I guess I will be in a never ending cycle of working for subpar employers, no matter how hard I work??

As for the national places that I have been looking, I think I have been looking in good areas. I mean, Chicagoland has tons of industry, lots of opportunities that I'm qualified for. If I was relocated there and ended up getting laid off again a couple years down the road, I would probably be able to find local employment rather easily, compared to central CT.

I mean, I've been applying to jobs in Chicago, Dallas and Milwaukee so far, in addition to here. I think those are good places to look for a career revitalization.

Milwaukee??? Chicago is a VERY high cost of living area! I personally would go for Dallas. Better weather and a good COL area. If you are single, go for it!

Old 04-02-2017, 05:36 PM

18,662 posts, read 7,254,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Milwaukee??? Chicago is a VERY high cost of living area! I personally would go for Dallas. Better weather and a good COL area. If you are single, go for it!
His brother moved near Milwaukee

Old 04-02-2017, 05:43 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,967,018 times
Quote:
I already started out my career working for a big 4 firm and after 1.5 yrs was severely burnt out and had to quit. I will never ever return to public accounting ever again. In fact, I would rather die. Seriously.
Maybe you are not cut out for accounting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or