U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:14 PM

900 posts, read 788,511 times

Advertisements

This doesn't sound too encouraging. I've filled out the contact forms on several companies' websites, but I never hear back from any of them. Is this just because they are all booked through the summer and don't need the work? Unlike most planned moves that might revolve around a job change or some other situation requiring one to relocate on a specific date, we could conceivably wait until fall to move. But we are extremely anxious to get out of where we're now living.

There are many reasons for this move, but right now the one uppermost in my mind is the THREE PIT BULLS that bark all night long outside our windows. One of them lives downstairs from us in the same building, and the other two share a townhouse yard in the next building over.

What experiences can you share about long distance moving, including pets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 10:43 PM

9,657 posts, read 15,787,616 times
Can you drive kitties yourself? That way they are under your supervision the whole way.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:35 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,469,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Can you drive kitties yourself? That way they are under your supervision the whole way.
This would also be my advise. When I moved half way across the country with dog and cat, there was only one problem which I now know to watch for, so with a bit of care you should be able to avoid it.

Having moved with both a dog and cat, I found the cat was pretty simple. Her crate was already familiar from home, and she had her sister the dog with her and she was fine. The only problem was hiding in the furnature at the motel. My dog enjoyed the trip, but required a lot more attention. The one warning I give about cats is the hiding thing. They can fit into really small places in your room. Mine got inside the dresser, requiring the lamp to be moved, then the drawers, and even the dresser as we were waiting to go.

Close up closet doors and such too. If you leaving in the morning put kitty in the bathroom the night before. When you leave the room put them in the bathroom lest anyone try a surprise escape.

If your cat doesn't like the car, you can ask about sedatives. We used them the first two days, and she had relaxed about it but would fight tooth and nail against the pill so she traveled unmedicated and did fine. Cats are generally not hard to crate and move.

One absolute rule is never ever open a window with kitty there. Use the AC. Don't open the door with kitty loose either. If they run you might not be able to find them. And if its hot, use the ac. And have a portable carrier to move kitties out of the car if its going to sit. Cars can heat up fast. And always have water for them.

Basically that's it. Keep kitty confined, and they'll feel more secure and so will you. Have water and take care in motel rooms. And enjoy the trip.

I wouldn't trust some company to drive my animals across country, or flying. If they are with me then I KNOW that they are okay.

With a cat, get the carrier early, give her treats and a nice comfy place to nap in the crate before you pack so its already a familiar place. They're pretty easy to transport yourself, and a nice comfy feel to their sancuary helps.

Last edited by nightbird47; 04-04-2017 at 12:18 AM..

Old 04-04-2017, 05:46 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,567,011 times
I traveled with my dog. My husband, who had moved a couple months earlier, traveled with our cat.

Unless you are traveling across the country, I'd drive my own pets. I wouldn't trust anyone with my pets.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:13 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,469,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
This would also be my advise. When I moved half way across the country with dog and cat, there was only one problem which I now know to watch for, so with a bit of care you should be able to avoid it.

Having moved with both a dog and cat, I found the cat was pretty simple. Her crate was already familiar from home, and she had her sister the dog with her and she was fine. The only problem was hiding in the furnature at the motel. My dog enjoyed the trip, but required a lot more attention. The one warning I give about cats is the hiding thing. They can fit into really small places in your room. Mine got inside the dresser, requiring the lamp to be moved, then the drawers, and even the dresser as we were waiting to go.

Close up closet doors and such too. If you leaving in the morning put kitty in the bathroom the night before. When you leave the room put them in the bathroom lest anyone try a surprise escape.

If your cat doesn't like the car, you can ask about sedatives. We used them the first two days, and she had relaxed about it but would fight tooth and nail against the pill so she traveled unmedicated and did fine. Cats are generally not hard to crate and move.

One absolute rule is never ever open a window with kitty there. Use the AC. Don't open the door with kitty loose either. If they run you might not be able to find them. And if its hot, use the ac. And have a portable carrier to move kitties out of the car if its going to sit. Cars can heat up fast. And always have water for them.

Basically that's it. Keep kitty confined, and they'll feel more secure and so will you. Have water and take care in motel rooms. And enjoy the trip.

I wouldn't trust some company to drive my animals across country, or flying. If they are with me then I KNOW that they are okay.

With a cat, get the carrier early, give her treats and a nice comfy place to nap in the crate before you pack so its already a familiar place. They're pretty easy to transport yourself, and a nice comfy feel to their sancuary helps.
Adding one more thought. If you do have worries about anyone bolting off into the unknown, get a cat harness and leash. It's like a sweater with a lead. I got my cat to cooperate since she liked sniffing the outside, and just as happy to go back to her familiar nitch. But she also trailed the leash so if she found a hidey hole in the motel room we could trace the leash.

You might get a water holder to attach inside the crate too, where the cat can drink and you don't have a splll in the car. I found my cat took to her carrier quickly too when I fed her there.

It was after we got to the house when we had the panic moment. Someone let her out of the crate into a room and shut the door, and didn't tell anyone. Someone opened the door. She was hiding so she wasn't outside but the comfy crate is a good spot for the new arrival too.
Happy travels

Old 04-04-2017, 09:53 AM

13,292 posts, read 25,167,309 times
I drove from VA to AZ with three cats, and had no problems. It's better to drive them yourself.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:39 AM

1,703 posts, read 2,567,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I drove from VA to AZ with three cats, and had no problems. It's better to drive them yourself.
Were they loose in the car or caged?

Old 04-04-2017, 12:04 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,702,224 times
I would crate my pets and drive them. There are many pet friendly hotel chains out there. I would not hire a pet moving service. Have you asked people who've used them what the service is like? I've heard about many horror stories! No thanks. We drove our pets both times we move up and down the East Coast.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:21 PM

13,841 posts, read 25,219,256 times
Crate and drive!

Old 04-04-2017, 12:26 PM

16,722 posts, read 14,605,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post

What experiences can you share about long distance moving, including pets?
Drive your own car and take your pets with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or