U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 04:38 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,487,165 times

Advertisements

I was also a victim of Mayflower. A box with old rare books did not show up on the other end. I was starting a new job so didn't do a claim as I did not have a detailed list of what was missing and I was very busy. This was preinternet and even with a list it would have been hard to track down the values. They had been a gift from my dad shortly before the move and I wasn't very familiar with them. I also didn't want to let him know his gift had been stolen.

They had obviously gone through the boxes because the box of books had a mix of book types and there was nothing to indicate anything of value was in it.

It is interesting that other's have had theft from this same company.

They also parked a motorcycle on a picture box. In this picture box was a valuable framed painting that I had paid extra to be packed in a special picture box. Somehow this box fell flat and they rolled a motorcycle right on top of it. I figured this out after the fact because of the marks on the box and how excited they were to pick up the motorcycle when they were packing my stuff up. There were wear marks on the frame and the canvas in the exact width of a motorcycle tire. The box was intact but had odd black tire width marks on it. I did not unpack the picture until I bought a house almost a year later and discovered the damage. If I had known it was damaged I would have put in a claim.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:27 PM

663 posts, read 1,016,920 times
Video tape them loading the truck and let them know you are filming

Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 PM

15,634 posts, read 8,755,559 times
I used movers once long distance and everything worked great. I used movers a few years later about 120 miles away and it took them 2 weeks to deliver it even tho they said it would be there in 3 days. All the furniture was scratched up.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:41 PM

433 posts, read 294,930 times
North American Van Lines stole half of our stuff moving from CO to NV. When we filed a complaint with North American, they basically said "prove it." They stole electronics and other items closing in on $5000!

Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,011,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
North American Van Lines stole half of our stuff moving from CO to NV. When we filed a complaint with North American, they basically said "prove it." They stole electronics and other items closing in on $5000!
Yes, you do have to 'prove it' for a claim to be paid. They should have put tags on each item/box and each item should have been matched by its tag when it was unloaded. So, you should be able to prove it by certain tagged items not being delivered.

For my claim it was clear a certain number of boxes were not delivered, an exercise bike, BBQ, etc. The tags proved what was missing.

The other thing that can help prove it is hard , but if you can get the weight for the vehicle as it passed through states and was weighed, then that may show that at some point the weight dropped a few hundred pounds.

Ask the company for each state weighing. They may give it to you.

Look at the weight and look carefully at the 'driver in' or 'driver out' check on the forms. For mine it was 'driver out' for each state until somewhere in Texas, then it was 'driver in' for the rest of the states to the delivery at my house...and time was lost in Texas for a week+ when they driver was lost.

It was easy to see he shopped my stuff while in TX and lost about 400 pounds of my stuff as the weight of the truck was 400 pounds less, and he was pushing 275, plus he had a large dog, so I am guessing he was trying to offset the stolen weight with his weight plus the dog being in the weighed vehicle after he stole the stuff---still did not work. He stole heavy things!

Also to prove you had certain items, look at any old photos at your house--birthdays, etc. You likely have photos with many of the items in the background.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 AM

4,780 posts, read 5,319,176 times
I'm so sorry for these horribe stories.

Are you guys going online and warning people by giving these horrible movers bad reviews?
I hope so.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:54 PM

282 posts, read 99,929 times
Back in the 80's we had a professional mover, cannot remember the company, but was one of the popular ones. They stole an electric neon retro beer sign, from our restaurant we owned, and our vacuum sweeper. Never got reimbursed for the sign and it took numerous phone calls and months on end to get reimbursed for the vacuum. Also, again in the 80's had another pro mover who damaged lots of furniture. Since this time, we moved ourselves with Uhaul and lots of pads and honestly only had one thing break, a china saucer!!! All the furniture came perfect.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:01 AM

516 posts, read 256,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
Funny, that reminds me of my move from Germany, back to the States... I found a plastic cup, full of twist ties wrapped in paper, like it was gift wrapped at Tiffany's. Other things like that too. Now my Mum's recent move from PA-to-AZ via Mayflower, not so great. "Missing" boxes too, and funny how pillows never come up "missing", but small items of value do.
Actually, pillows do come up missing. When we moved from California to Colorado back in the 70's, I had a huge round blue chair that had 3 big pillows as the back rest. These pillows didn't make it to Colorado, and no matter what I tried to use as a back rest, that chair was never the same. There was nothing else missing.
Have not used a moving company since.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:28 PM

21,568 posts, read 14,187,164 times
When United moved us, we were given a check list of numbered boxes, which had been itemized at the time of unloading our house. The check list was checked every time a box was brought in to our new house. The only things that were missing were some casters for some old furniture. Every other item was accounted for.

We hired a reliable local moving firm to some packing for us, and to do the loading and storing until we needed our furniture. This was a United Van Lines firm. When we got our stuff we were surprised to find it being delivered by Mayflower.

The only mishap we had was that our furniture had been stored, wrapped in bubble wrap, in an unairconditioned storage facility in St. Louis over the summer. Summers in St. Louis are hot. We did not find the damage to our dining room table until later, when we put the leaf into our table. There it was--the bubble wrap imprint made in the finish of the table leaf.

Unfortunately, I had done the same thing to the leaf a couple of years before. So, I didn't feel we could demand a settlement for the damage. I had already damaged the same leaf. We had the leaf refinished, and all is now well.

Before we moved we interviewed three or four movers. We also investigated their BBB ratings. We thought that company seemed the most professional, and they had good answers for every question.

It is too bad that some movers can't be trusted.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:28 PM

109 posts, read 48,217 times
I am so sorry. When I moved, I, and my family, packed everything and personally carted a big portion of the boxes to the new location. We were in the same city. By the time the movers came, all they carted were furniture and wall pictures. I was with them during loading and followed them to the new location. Nothing was missing. Moving to an out of city location would have created difficulty in doing that. I have often wondered what would happen in that case. I probably would try to cart my favorite belongings in a small U-Haul and let them take the less important or big things. Saying that, something could still get stolen. It stinks what happened to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or