U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:52 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,510,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm originally from southern California, so Atlanta traffic doesn't annoy me too much -- everything's relative. If you can get over the traffic, you might really like it here. Definitely worth a closer look.
Agreed. I have a list of places that I've made to look further in to, and have added Atlanta

Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,479,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98IndyPacecarguy View Post
Up here in Portland, specifically/mostly Multnomah County is getting that way too. Protests constantly, some peaceful, some not so much.

I'll be moving out of here sometime next year, most likely Central Florida. No state income taxes, lower cost of living, and no more gray, dreary damp cold constant rain for 9 months of the year.
But won't you miss all the hipsters,hippies,homeless and protesters?

Old 04-27-2017, 10:10 AM

22,412 posts, read 11,545,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I did mention we love the outdoors, and we prefer to live in the suburbs of a large city.
But it is a little broad, so here goes.

With my work, I will be assigned a city, and must live within 50 miles of the assingend city limits. Basically, every major city in the US, my company is there.

We prefer decent weather, but a place with all 4 seasons is totally okay, as long as it's not extreme winters like Minot, Norh Dakota (-30 to -60 degrees). Snow isn't an issue, but at the same time, would like to not be "snowed in" throughout the winter.

Amenities...Access to the great outdoors is a plus. Somewhere safe is a must. Walkability is a plus, but not a necessity, I don't mind driving to he grocery, out to eat, etc... We don't have kids YET, but they're in the future plans, so somewhere able to raise a family is also needed. If we end up in city with no amazing scenery, it's preferred to be within a reasonable driving distance to something like the mountains, oceans, etc...to take weekend vacations & explore.

Does this help at all? Thanks!
Austin, Texas. Right smack in the middle of the Texas Hill Country. The city in Texas for people who don't like Texas.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:14 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,479,604 times
Quote:
North Carolina in general was one of our top "interests" before I even posted this thread. This has given me more info so it's been great to know
Having lived in NC I'd suggest looking at a few suburbs of Charlotte if you're not working in Charlotte directly. We enjoyed the area around Indian Trail,Matthews,Stallings,Carowinds as an example. Right off the 405/77 Fwys. Car tags and taxes can be expensive though.

Quote:
Atlanta has been mentioned a few times, I've spent literally no time there so no clue what to expect. I know ATL gets a bad rep, are the areas of "bad" easily avoidable and suburbs safe?
We've lived near Atlanta and I would avoid Atlanta proper like the plague. Alpharetta, Roswell,Sandy Springs, basically N. Fulton County (a huge county btw) are where the better places to live are as that's where a larger part of the county resources tend to be spent. S. Fulton County is basically the poorer side of things. If you need to speak to a RE agent for the ATL area PM me. We had a FANTASTIC agent when we lived there.

Quote:
Agreed. I have a list of places that I've made to look further in to, and have added Atlanta
One thing to consider, if you have allergies keep in mind that ATL and suburbs have some of the highest pollen counts of anywhere I've ever lived. Not unusual to see a 1/2 inch of yellow covering your car/sidewalk in some areas, more in others.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:47 AM

5,343 posts, read 4,042,396 times
Greg, I vote for the north side of Atlanta in the suburbs. I lived in the Bay Area all my life and at age 57 moved to Atlanta, Marietta specifically. While politics didn't affect me so much, it definitely was getting worse in Ca. It's changed from 20 years ago. I especially hated the gun laws in Ca.
Anyways north of the perimeter in Atlanta is quite nice. When I moved her I thought it would be a huge change for me, but it was nothing at all. In my Area it's safe, quiet, and close to amenities. I drive maybe 4 miles a day to get to the gym and shopping. I can be in the city in 10 minutes. Homes go for about 275 to 300k in my neighborhood. The neighborhood I am in is comparable to Danville san ramon and Pleasanton in California. Schools are excellent here.
I am quite happy here. Areas you might like also are east cobb, Roswell, Milton, etc. all very good areas.
Btw sorry you are catching so much flak in the California forum.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 AM

4,364 posts, read 3,018,836 times
This thread is off topic for the forum. Please read the Posting Guidelines in the sticky for this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or