Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:28 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,315,027 times

Advertisements

And when I say "old school", I don't mean behind on technology, doing stuff the good ole way, etc... I simply mean not totally judging people & having the racist mentality.

I'm a country kid at heart, so "old school" to me still has meaning and value. Just not certain aspects sort to speak

Old 04-25-2017, 08:47 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,077,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I honestly shouldn't have said I don't like Nashville, because overall I actually did. We loved about 30mins south of Nashville, in Spring Hill, nice town.

I enjoyed the nightlife in Nashville, and some of the activities as well.

The thing I did not like, was the people were very "old school". As in, pretty darn racist and just not open minded at all (not all people of course). Now, Nashville is "southern" so I guess it should've been somewhat expected. Aside from that, I did enjoy Nashville, except for the humidity of course
Did you live here in 1967? That doesn't apply to Nashville at all.

Spring Hill is obviously suburban and no matter where you are in the Nashville area the suburbs will be conservative by nature but to call people who live in the burbs racist and not open minded is just a blanket statement that is largely false. The Nashville area has 100 people moving into it a day and guess where most of these people are moving from? Likely the more "open minded" areas of the country. The city of Nashville itself has a female, self-proclaimed progressive democrat mayor and she won the election over a guy who was pushing the fact that he believed in "conservative Christian values"

Old 04-25-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Did you live here in 1967? That doesn't apply to Nashville at all.

Spring Hill is obviously suburban and no matter where you are in the Nashville area the suburbs will be conservative by nature but to call people who live in the burbs racist and not open minded is just a blanket statement that is largely false. The Nashville area has 100 people moving into it a day and guess where most of these people are moving from? Likely the more "open minded" areas of the country. The city of Nashville itself has a female, self-proclaimed progressive democrat mayor and she won the election over a guy who was pushing the fact that he believed in "conservative Christian values"
Which is exactly why I said NOT ALL PEOPLE OF COURSE. I am going off of personal experience. I enjoyed the area, and Spring Hill was fine for me. Traffic always stunk because of the bridge/road work on 65

Old 04-25-2017, 09:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
And when I say "old school", I don't mean behind on technology, doing stuff the good ole way, etc... I simply mean not totally judging people & having the racist mentality.

I'm a country kid at heart, so "old school" to me still has meaning and value. Just not certain aspects sort to speak
We've lived in many places over the years from NorCal to NC and places in between.

Were I to have a good paying job that I arrived with like you do I'd pick the Maryville,TN area without a doubt, in a heartbeat!
It doesn't have to be Maryville proper but the whole area. Pretty good school districts, decent tax structure and LOTS to do no matter what your loves are.
Tons of stuff to do for weekend getaways or just a day trip, the options are endless.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We've lived in many places over the years from NorCal to NC and places in between.

Were I to have a good paying job that I arrived with like you do I'd pick the Maryville,TN area without a doubt, in a heartbeat!
It doesn't have to be Maryville proper but the whole area. Pretty good school districts, decent tax structure and LOTS to do no matter what your loves are.
Tons of stuff to do for weekend getaways or just a day trip, the options are endless.
Thanks for the info, I definitely like where it's situated as far as being close to Knoxville, Gatlinburg and not too far from family in KY

Old 04-25-2017, 10:45 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input. North Carolina was the leading candidate before even creating this thread (besides back home to Louisville).

Which part of Indiana did you end up in?
We're in St. John, which is in NW Indiana. Minutes from Crown Point if you know that area at all. My husband and I both grew up in the S.W. suburbs of Chicago so we have a lot of family close by. By moving here it also allows for my husband to still work in Illinois for the same company. We really like it here! The people are a lot nicer than in Illinois! Just more down to Earth! Not to mention the huge difference in cost of living! We are nowhere near the "bad" parts of Northern Indiana. We're far enough South that Gary and East Chicago does not affect us. I wish we had moved earlier! I was hoping for N.C., as we have family there as well (we were looking at Charlotte), but it wan't going to work for my husbands job.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
We're in St. John, which is in NW Indiana. Minutes from Crown Point if you know that area at all. My husband and I both grew up in the S.W. suburbs of Chicago so we have a lot of family close by. By moving here it also allows for my husband to still work in Illinois for the same company. We really like it here! The people are a lot nicer than in Illinois! Just more down to Earth! Not to mention the huge difference in cost of living! We are nowhere near the "bad" parts of Northern Indiana. We're far enough South that Gary and East Chicago does not affect us. I wish we had moved earlier! I was hoping for N.C., as we have family there as well (we were looking at Charlotte), but it wan't going to work for my husbands job.
I haven't spent a ton of time in Northern Indiana, my family and I were all situated in Southern Indiana right by the Ohio River into Louisville.

Good to hear you're away from Gary, and hopefully away from Ft.Wayne as well. Seems those areas get worse and worse every year

Old 04-25-2017, 10:52 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,077,727 times
I may have missed this reading through the pages here but I'm surprised the Seattle area hasn't come up yet. Yeah it's a bit high in cost of living but the weather is outstanding if you can deal with cloud cover for a lot of the year, cancelled out by 70s and sunny for the summer months. It's pretty liberal but not as in your face about it as a lot of California in my experience. Scenery is great. Lots of diversity. Lots of outdoor recreation. Plus Seattle is a great city, even if you just live near Seattle that would be nice IMO. I've never lived there but my three of my best friends live in the Seattle suburbs and I've always loved it in my time there, and they're all from Indiana and Tennessee originally but love living out there.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I may have missed this reading through the pages here but I'm surprised the Seattle area hasn't come up yet. Yeah it's a bit high in cost of living but the weather is outstanding if you can deal with cloud cover for a lot of the year, cancelled out by 70s and sunny for the summer months. It's pretty liberal but not as in your face about it as a lot of California in my experience. Scenery is great. Lots of diversity. Lots of outdoor recreation. Plus Seattle is a great city, even if you just live near Seattle that would be nice IMO. I've never lived there but my three of my best friends live in the Seattle suburbs and I've always loved it in my time there, and they're all from Indiana and Tennessee originally but love living out there.
I've visited Seattle a couple times, and it is a pretty place.

However, the cost of living is right on par with San Francisco (stupid expensive for a cracker box), and it's also a very liberal city, basically mimics anything California does. I will never bring myself to pay $600K-$1 million for a home that's simply not worth anything near that. "You get what you pay for" does not apply to housing markets in overly expensive cities. When buying a home, the intention is pay it off BEFORE I die

Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
I've visited Seattle a couple times, and it is a pretty place.

However, the cost of living is right on par with San Francisco (stupid expensive for a cracker box), and it's also a very liberal city, basically mimics anything California does. I will never bring myself to pay $600K-$1 million for a home that's simply not worth anything near that. "You get what you pay for" does not apply to housing markets in overly expensive cities. When buying a home, the intention is pay it off BEFORE I die
You hit it right on the head! Seattle has become San Francisco with way,way worse weather. We always said about Seattle, "if summer happened to fall on a Sunday we would go fishing"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.