U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 05:16 PM

319 posts, read 1,753,842 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I live in a rental house with other roommates and are graduating this Spring. We're doing a long-distance move after changing our after-college plans in reaction to my receiving a better job offer (no I hadn't actually accepted the first offer so things are good there).

We are planning to get rid of much of our furniture as it was given to us by roommates, parents, etc. Some of it is in good enough shape we'd like to see a few dollars out of it. We also have a washer/dryer we won't want to take with us to an apartment. We'll be buying a bunch of stuff at IKEA during our move as we'll have the truck already.

My question: If we're moving over a month after graduation for various reasons, and need the things we plan to sell right up until we move, then when do we get rid of them or sell them? For instance, we'll need our computer desk, the washer/dryer, and some seating in the living room up until we move. Do we bypass and miss the prime selling time that we'd be able to get rid of the stuff by selling it to students moving off-campus into their own place for the summer? Do we sell it off then, and get by with little furniture and go to the laundromat? Do we wait until the week before we move, which would be ideal, and hope Craig's List would pay off? And, have plan B as just donating it all to Goodwill or a similar organization.

Another option would be a garage sale. I really hate these because we'd have to drag the stuff out to the driveway (or invite people in) and sit out there all morning. Most of our neighbors wouldn't want the stuff (non-matching, cheap college furniture), so it would be people brought in by a sign most likely. The washer/dryer are old but work fine; we could bring in a couple hundred bucks if we found a seller willing to take the chance on them (I'd rather not give them away for nothing).

Any ideas? What would be the way to maximize our profit (to put towards new stuff) and minimize the time we are without daily-used furniture and appliances? All without taking the chance that we'd still be in possession of all the stuff on moving day! I won't be working before the move so I'd have time if anyone has a time-consuming plan that could pay off. Also, we're in a smaller town so we may not have as many resources here for selling items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 05:31 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,498,462 times
i would sell it sooner rather than later to take advantage of the student/apartment thing. i would make do for a couple of weeks. otherwise, i think you run the risk of missing your target market and most likely would have to give the items to good will. you could decide which items you could manage to live around..going to out to do the laundry etc. good luck. packing up a household is not something i would look forward to. just wish you could blink and have it done! good luck.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,291,419 times
Yes, I would start about a month before moving and do it using Craigslist...I just sold some stuff and in coordinating people to come over to look at it, etc, it was a few days. I positively got more money from there as opposed to holding a garage sale, people always want things almost for free at garage sales. Then if your washer sells, do laundromats, like suggested.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:02 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,885,634 times
Sell before. I moved long distance from Fl to NH and I dropped almost everything I owned except bed, end tables and coffee table.. I threw out/ gave away our dressers, dining room table, computer desk etc months before hand and just ate off the coffee table, used the laundry mat once a week hung up all our shirts and put things like underwear in tupperware tubs so when moving day came I just popped on the lid and threw them in the trailer and also went to the library if I really NEEDED the computer. Come moving day I'm glad I did, I threw out my couch the day of moving and was able to fit everything I owned in a small trailer I pulled behind my car. Saved me $$$$$$$$!!!!!!!! Plus it ended up being a lifesave as about 2 hours after we got on the road the trailer got a flat and we were able to jack it up ourselves and change it becasue of how light it was. I gained everything back in a month or two, and I'm now planning on moving BACK to where I moved from in about 6 weeks. I've already dumped most of the stuff again lol! Its easily replaced over time and with it just being two of us what do we care Its gonna make your life easier to just get rid of it or sell it cause when you start packing esp for a big move you won't want to be dealing with all that while loading the truck.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 AM

223 posts, read 904,266 times
I second the Craigslist idea and after your move stock your new place the same way. I would start right away though and prioritize your most unneeded things and get rid of them first. Like Tara suggested, use other (smaller) furniture for other things. Make do with the minimum. Turn an end table or plastic tote into a temporary computer desk. Using the tote can double as paper and office storage and as a bonus, it's already packed for the move.

Best of luck!

Old 03-11-2008, 04:10 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,362,600 times
not waiting till the last minute is best, you can pick and chose who you sell to and for how much. If you try to sell that last week you're there, you'll more than likely have to settle for less money. Doing without a washer and dryer can be a pain but is do-able, moving is not a comfortable thing anyway...I'd start selling everything you absolutely don't need right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues