Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 06:02 PM

65 posts, read 79,380 times

Advertisements

To make this story short,it just amazes me when people say proof of income they assume paystub or physical check.I LAUGH at that,and I don't work a 9 to 5 job.I'm freelance contract and I do work online jobs.So anyways I applied for a few apartments and when they say proof of income I told them I'll either email or print out my paypal statements(I receive money in my paypal account every month for the company I have contract with).But however so far they denied me and wanted a check or pay stub,which is ridiculous. EVERYONE assumes job is either in the office or flipping burgers.That's like 60's,anyways im not too worried ill find a apartment(I definitely got the money for it)

Old 05-09-2017, 06:34 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
I would show Page 1 of your 1040 ( a few years) , and maybe your Schedule C to Show you income.

If your step up to Corporately managed apartments they are more use to dealing with Self Employed persons.

A "owner/manager" that does a few apartments rentals per year, may not have the skills or background to properly evaluate Self Employed Income.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:36 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
when people say proof of income they assume paystub or physical check.
Because 90% or more do operate that way.

Quote:
I'm freelance contract and I do work online jobs.
So when you're a special snowflake... the onus, the burden, is on YOU...

Quote:
...not too worried ill find a apartment
Be prepared to show your 1040 from last year.
Just like all the other non-traditional earners are obliged to do.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:36 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
q: does your daughter live with you? That also could be a issue.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I would show Page 1 of your 1040 ( a few years) , and maybe your Schedule C to Show you income.

If your step up to Corporately managed apartments they are more use to dealing with Self Employed persons.

A "owner/manager" that does a few apartments rentals per year, may not have the skills or background to properly evaluate Self Employed Income.
That makes more sense to apply for corporated managed apartments..

Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-09-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Because 90% or more do operate that way.
Income is income,whether flipping burgers or freelance we all have a source of income

Quote:
So when you're a special snowflake... the onus, the burden, is on YOU...
I have provided my proof of income based on my monthly earnings i receive in my paypal account,what else do they need?

Quote:
Be prepared to show your 1040 from last year.
Don't mind showing,if they ask ill show my tax filings,if not them well its on them

Quote:
Just like all the other non-traditional earners are obliged to do.
Sorry not everyone wants to be flipping burgers or be stuck in office all day.

I enjoy being my own BOSS

Old 05-09-2017, 09:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Tax statements are the norm for us self-employed folk.

Showing your PayPal account does zip as far as net income. You could be selling $100K a month on eBay, but if it costs you $110K, you won't have anything left over for rent. Just make a copy of your last 1040 and carry it with you when looking for a rental.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:33 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Tax statements are the norm for us self-employed folk.

Showing your PayPal account does zip as far as net income. You could be selling $100K a month on eBay, but if it costs you $110K, you won't have anything left over for rent. Just make a copy of your last 1040 and carry it with you when looking for a rental.
one would think someone ridiculing apartment managers would already know that.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:08 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
one would think someone ridiculing apartment managers would already know that.
Yes, if the income is being claimed for tax purposes, which it may not be.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
To make this story short,it just amazes me when people say proof of income they assume paystub or physical check.I LAUGH at that,and I don't work a 9 to 5 job.I'm freelance contract and I do work online jobs.So anyways I applied for a few apartments and when they say proof of income I told them I'll either email or print out my paypal statements(I receive money in my paypal account every month for the company I have contract with).But however so far they denied me and wanted a check or pay stub,which is ridiculous. EVERYONE assumes job is either in the office or flipping burgers.That's like 60's,anyways im not too worried ill find a apartment(I definitely got the money for it)
Lol. If you came to me with that attitude I would just laugh at you. Truthfully your bank account/paypal means zippo to me. Sure I see you got money there, and that's great. But that money could EASILY be given back or spent. It's too easy to play with and make it look good.

So if you're self employed I can respect that. But I'm going to need about 2 years of your tax returns to see your income. And I'm still going to run a credit check. It does me no good if you make 10k a month but spend 9500 in debt/expenses. Or you gave so many expenses deducted that your income is basically zeroed out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues