U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:49 AM

1,909 posts, read 1,178,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
We're moving cross country soon and one of the hardest decisions I'm having to make is getting rid of my records. Now let me say, I haven't played any of them in about 10 years, so it's mostly nostalgia that is stopping me (Christmas albums from my childhood, case of Beatles albums, etc). But they are so breakable that I also fear moving them and Seattle is a hot market to get rid of them in.

Some of my albums are worth a bit, so is it smarter to just sell them and move on? Anyone regret getting rid of theirs. I do still have about 1000 cds and I tend to listen to my ipod more than anything.

The way I see it, I either sell the player and all the records, or I keep the player and some of the records.

Thanks!
Then don't make that decision.

They can't take up too much room so just drag them with you and decide when you get down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 07:41 AM

717 posts, read 679,324 times
Thank you for all the feedback! Funny enough, while reading your replies I realized I was really hoping people would tell me it would be ok to get rid of them, so I think that's what I really want to do.

We're a family of four and there is a good chance this won't be our last move, so those "one more thing" items add up. I do want to travel lighter, but this is my first time making some of these difficult decisions (never moved more than an hour and a half away before and first move with kids). Sometimes I'm surprised by the items I have the hardest time letting go of.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:45 AM

6,563 posts, read 3,785,583 times
Freeing myself of all those old treasures was one of the best things I ever did.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:21 AM

510 posts, read 252,680 times
After toting around my vinyls for several years and not having any way to listen to them, I finally sold them. I maybe got less than $20 for all of them, but they were not in great condition having been played so much when I was younger. By the time I sold them, I had already gotten most of my favorites on CD anyway. I don't regret it and I was relieved when we moved to another state not to have to deal with them.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:52 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,794,522 times
I have a small collection of vinyl which I have moved around over the years and the one thing people don't seem to realize is that in any quantity, vinyl is heavy. So, depending on the size of your collection, this could add significant weight to your move.

Also, a good majority of vinyl is worthless and can be had in used record stores for a buck or so. So, if they are selling them for a dollar, this means they probably bought them for 25 cents.

As for record players themselves, good quality ones can still fetch a premium. I used to DJ as a hobby and my Technics 1200 MKIIs can still command about 500 each. I bought these roughly 20 years ago and I bought them used at that time. They still work great with no issues at all.

My last point is more of a personal one. If you love your records and you really don't want to let them go, then move them with you. I know I would rather have something with me than to get rid of something and then regret it down the road.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:41 PM

345 posts, read 168,044 times
hmmm...

FWIW, I gave away all my jazz records about 15 years ago and have regretted it since.

Here's what I'd do, assuming you don't care about copyright.

. Sell the record player unless it has sentimental value. It's a thing you can upgrade.
. Keep the albums.
. Copy all of the CDs to a portable disk drive, maybe 2 for a backup. Give them away.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:29 PM

476 posts, read 268,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
Thank you for all the feedback! Funny enough, while reading your replies I realized I was really hoping people would tell me it would be ok to get rid of them, so I think that's what I really want to do.

We're a family of four and there is a good chance this won't be our last move, so those "one more thing" items add up. I do want to travel lighter, but this is my first time making some of these difficult decisions (never moved more than an hour and a half away before and first move with kids). Sometimes I'm surprised by the items I have the hardest time letting go of.
We just made a cross-country move as a family of four. Packing was a rather intense process and there were several things I had to let go of (and glad that I did). Trust me, once the still-enormous pile of your stuff is on a truck or pod (or two), and finally makes its way to you, you won't remember half of what you do have in there, even after purging while you packed.

My recommendation is not to let go of things that will make your new place feel like home, or that you are deeply attached to in a comforting way. Mine was our kitchen table. We bought it used 10 years ago, and it's seen a lot of use (and just generally better days), but it's still sturdy and I have so many happy memories with it... I wasn't really ready to let it go. I figure I'll use it while we rent here and maybe get a new one when we purchase a new house. That has proved to be a good thing, as it's a big adjustment to make another house feel like home -- and some -- not necessary all -- of the things that bring with them happy memories of your last home help with that adjustment period.

If it's just something you're attached to in the sense that it reminds you of your youth, but you're not attached to them any more and truly would be unlikely to really use again, I don't think you'll regret letting them go. And I kind of agree with a previous poster that vinyl records will go down in price in the future (but I'm no expert). The hipster craze over them will eventually die down and that will take care of a lot of the current demand.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:39 AM

62 posts, read 50,330 times
How does one sell these? Everywhere I checked I could get only a nominal amount for them. I don't want to have to go around to collector shows or anything like that.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:40 PM

717 posts, read 679,324 times
I have a few that will go on ebay and I'll sell the record player on Craigslist. Seattle has quite a few Vinyl shops, so I will take the rest there. Some won't get anything, but a few items are of value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or