Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:57 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Folks aren't necessarily wrong to say "don't move without a job lined up". People also secure jobs before moving. However, if you're going to move without a job lined up, at least try to have a contingency plan or 2 to deal with some of the more common obstacles you'll face if you go through with the move.
I think everyone should have a job before they move, even if it is something they know is just a temporary thing to get settled. But every thread like this devolves into someone saying "if you had in demand skills, people would be recruiting you... therefore you don't have in demand skills and can't/shouldn't move". This is incredibly discouraging advice, often coming from trolls looking for avenues to humblebrag about how rich and great they are.

I'm sure we all have aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, siblings, parents, etc. who have up and moved. My aunt was a stay at home mom in Indiana, then a single-mom office worker in Chicago, then an office manager in Florida in the course of a few short years. My friend left a great job at a Verizon corporate office to manage a Verizon retail outlet in order to move states while looking for better work. This stuff just happens, literally constantly.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:39 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I don't think anyone is saying 'Don't move to Colorado'. What they are saying is 'You will have a chance to be happy in Colorado IF you are actually prepared to live there." The cost of living there higher than anywhere I have ever lived. If you don't have the money to live there, you won't be happy. You won't have the money to live in the style you envision for yourself.

We've looked at quite a few different places. Housing is not cheap. Your roommate is only a maybe. Maybe she'll come join you and pay half of the bill, but maybe she won't. You don't want your roommate to back out while you are tight on money. That just puts you in a bind and has potentially longer lasting consequences.

One of the things we have found in our travels is that Colorado attracts a lot of younger people who really don't have a plan for life. I'm not saying that is you. I think you have a basic plan that needs to thought out and honed with specific goals. I think the idea to look in your current area for jobs with a potential to transfer is a great idea. Seriously, it helps you to build a nest egg where you already have a base and it gives you a place to go when you get there. I'm not sure about what 'help' companies give with your type of work. Some companies offer relocation type benefits when you move. Anything would help you financially and be more secure than just showing.

Good luck on your adventures. I hope you are able to make this move happen.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:38 AM

20 posts, read 15,504 times
Hello!

Thanks everyone again for the lovely advice. I have a plan in terms what I plan to do when I live there. I have a college degree but low job perspectives, so I wanted to go back to college as well but not until I get a handle of the money I make a place I can call my own. I've talked to my Dad and he said he'd help in some way to help me relocate as he's moving. Also found out coming home that my car only has a month left or so to live so now I have to look into getting another car. I have some money saved, But I really need more...I am now apply for multiple jobs in GA.

How much in your opinion should I save for CO? I want to set a goal number so I can budget better.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:39 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobieMover View Post
I'm stuck on trying to figure out what to do once I get to Colorado. I've been looking for jobs for weeks and I've finally landed an interview or two but they've told me they would like to know what the exact date of my arrival is so they can give me one.

I'm currently in a different country and will be terminating my contract soon to move back to my home state (GA).From there I would drive to CO with my belongings. I have a friend who's looking for a roommate in a different part of Colorado. Her issue is, she has a job but lives with her parents, but is waiting to here back from jobs so she can move to another part of Colorado and move in with me. So she's stuck at her parents until then. But she doesn't know how long that will take. She doesn't have a set time frame. I do as I'm trying to leave and start moving asap.

Any advice would be lovely. This would be my first time moving far away from the south and finally settling. I'm 24.
Book a motel in advance for your first few days. Then scour the papers for monthly, temporary, rentals. Then look the place over for something more permanent. Everyone does this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues