U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:14 PM

4,457 posts, read 2,855,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Hi,

I am moving on June 15th and I found out I was moving around May 30th. Any tips or advice on how to pack in such a short time? I am finishing out my work week this week and then I will have about 5 free days to pack. Right now I've been working on getting things like the power turned on, renters insurance, etc worked on during the week. I have some boxes and supplies, but I believe I need to buy more. I am using storage crates to move things as some of my stuff was already in them.

I have never moved on my own before. I have moved in the past but I was a kid and my dad hired movers. I am packing up my car and two of my families SUVs.

Thanks
As for my own experiences, I've moved on 3 separate occasions, all of them different:
1) No relocation expenses, but 3 hour drive away.
Everything that could fit in my, car did so.
--Computer, monitor, peripherals, optical discs.
--Toiletries, 2 sets of towels, 2 sets of bedspreads/sheets
--Enough clothes to go 2.5 weeks without doing laundry (although I'm lazy about that, so that's probably 1 week's worth for 'normal' folk)
--no furniture, as most of it was too bulky or heavy, and it belonged to my parents anyways. They weren't around, so I had to do everything on my own (they couldn't really do any heavy lifting, but some knowledge and tips probably could've made things better. I managed though). Perhaps I took a folding chair? I don't even remember what I did for a bed. Sleep on the floor, or I called my parents and they directed me where their air mattress was?
--kitchenware like 1 pot, one pan, one good knife, some utensils, cutting board. Oils and stuff if you have the space, but TBH, it's cheap enough to just get it there, and probably lots less messy if it spills (and a relative hassle to pack)

When I got there, I lived without furnishing few a bit. It wasn't until the next weekend or the one after that I made a trip to IKEA for a desk ($50), long term sitting chair with wheels ($160), 3-drawer dresser drawer($50), and futon ($250. No form fitting covers. I just put my bedsheets over it)

Make sure you have a box of important stuff, like a couple of posts already covered! Stuff you'll need on day 1 and beyond! Quickie list includes but not limited to:
--checkbook
--if you need to deal with money orders (e.g., first month's rent), make sure your back is nearby, have an ATM nearby to go to another bank, or have some cash for that.
--tools like screwdriver
--phone charger
Also, make sure you have everything you need in terms of info and print outs. Back then I had a cell phone, but no internet access on it. I wouldn't be able to access internet until I started work (perhaps), or when Cox came by to hook up Ethernet (which wouldn't be right away).
Stuff like addresses, who to report to, and their contact info if it's work related. Printouts of any maps

I took a trip prior, and stayed overnight to go apartment hunting and sign the lease.

Like you, since driving back was practical, I was able to come home on weekends (taking the Mon. off) to not only visit them, but snag anything else I missed.

2) No relocation expenses, and 11 hour car trip
here that needed to be divided into a 2-day trip. I found a motel to sleep. I wasn't practical to make a trip to make arrangements ahead of time, so I stayed at an Extended Stay at first before finding an apartment.

Most of everything as far as packing goes that I mentioned above remains the same. Everything needed to fit into my car, IKEA was an hour away now instead of 30 minutes, but still drive able. Absolute essentials, as I couldn't go back to my place being so far away. Definitely had an air mattress this time.

3) relocation expenses covered, but the other side of the country
Parents had plans to replace the bed/mattress/spring box, so just take that. Take the desk too, so that covered that. IKEA's too far away this time around, so I would've just considered local, but still inexpensive options to cover the desk and bed. Few chairs.

Movers moved all heavy stuff, and boxes to my specified rooms and spots. The guy even helped me assemble my bed frame, which was a nice gesture, saved me a bit of grief, and definitely added to his tip

I missed on my relocation contract that they did include storage fees. Instead, I went into a sort of "panic" and got an apartment ASAP, so that moving company would have a place to deliver the stuff to. I didn't note if that also included costs to move from storage to new apartment
I failed to add car rental on my expense, and had to pay for that out of pocket On one hand, they knew I wanted them to move my car (which got approved), so you'd think they should've put 2-and-2 together and realized I'd need to rent a car. OTOH, I may have had other solutions lined up, and they were clear that if you have ANY relo expenses you wished to cover, you need to submit it and it be approved. Oh well, I rented a cheap vehicle, so only $500 that I could cover.

If it were REALLY essential, I could've had larger stuff shipped to me, or taken smaller items when I fly back to visit them, but yeah, don't count on it to be on the safe side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 PM

550 posts, read 271,253 times
Thanks everyone for all the tips. I unfortunately hurt my back while packing and have had to rest for the past two days so I feel like everything went to a stand still.

I did get to make an IKEA trip before I hurt myself so all that will be going into my mother mini van still packed up. I feel so much better knowing I atleast have some stuff even if it has to be built and my bed will be delivered the Friday I arrive.

My car is getting packed up tomorow if I feel up to going outside and helping my brother load it because then I can see how much actually fits in mine.

I appericate everyone taking the time to response.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:26 AM

5,045 posts, read 5,964,254 times
Good luck with your move today, Ohyellowbug! Don't try to do too much. Feel better soon!

Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 AM

13,842 posts, read 25,223,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
If you're only packing cars/SUVs, I recommend not using too many boxes. Try to use large bags instead- they pack easier in to the car and are better at filling voids.

When we pack my family into the car for long trips, I ask that everyone use those strong tyvek/plastic shopping bags that you get at Ikea/Whole Foods/etc. We can carry so much more stuff that way.
You will be amazed how many trash bags you can fit in an SUV. Much more efficient than boxes!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Good luck with your move today, Ohyellowbug! Don't try to do too much. Feel better soon!
Thank you! The move went pretty smooth....now tomorow is putting together all the IKEA stuff haha

Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You will be amazed how many trash bags you can fit in an SUV. Much more efficient than boxes!
I'm glad we had a lot of trash bags! It was easier to carry and pack

Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 PM

7,361 posts, read 12,896,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
I'm glad we had a lot of trash bags! It was easier to carry and pack
Next time you have to move, even if you have more time to get ready. Get some Space Bags. They'll hold more than trash bags and when you vacuum the air out of them, you'll be surprised how little space all your stuff takes up. We still have blankets packed in a space bag from moving here almost 5 years ago and still sealed tight. (Wife doesn't want to get rid of them. "We might need them some day!")

Old 06-17-2017, 06:44 AM

5,045 posts, read 5,964,254 times
OP, when you get a minute, we'd love to hear an update: what worked for you / what you might do differently next time. That will help others!

I hope that your back is better! I hope the furniture went together without a hitch.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
OP, when you get a minute, we'd love to hear an update: what worked for you / what you might do differently next time. That will help others!

I hope that your back is better! I hope the furniture went together without a hitch.
My back is feeling much better. Still slightly sore, but I can move IKEA furniture went together pretty smoothly. That hardest thing was the tv stand I got a Best Buy last night haha.

The trash bags around clothes and leaving them on the hangers worked great. I also liked using trash bags for my winter sweaters. I noticed the trash bag used way less space and were easy to fit into places. I used storage crates too in place of boxes. I think overall I may of only had like 5 actually boxes of things (beside the IKEA). Everything else was trash bags and storage containers. Also if you are driving and going through tolls buy an EZ pass haha. I borrowed my dads.

Next time I move I will make sure to give myself more than a few weeks to pack haha. That was so fast and I did forget things. I am lucky that I am close enough that I can get what has been left behind at some point.

Thanks everyone for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues