U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:29 AM

3,611 posts, read 3,173,164 times

Advertisements

I would start downsizing so you don't have to pay to move things you really won't need at the new place.

If you are moving from Michigan to Tucson, you won't need to move most winter gear. I start using up what I have and not buy more unless you need it. The adults don't need to buy more winter coats and boots unless something needs to be replaced. Kids grow so they will need new things, but don't go overboard and don't stock up. It may be less expensive to ditch all of the winter stuff and buy new if you come back to visit family in winter. I've made the move from a colder to warmer climate twice. I have a closet full of coats that haven't been worn in two years. My snow boots haven't been worn in four years. I have the space for them so I keep them, but I wouldn't pay to move them.

I would take a serious look at the furniture. Is the children's furniture something you plan to replace in a few years as they get bigger. I would make it work for the next two years and then ditch it. You'll save space and a little money in moving if
you were going to buy new furniture anyway.

Take a look at the knickknacks and decorations. What do you love? You may find that your Michigan decor looks out of place in the southwest. Start thinking in those terms when you go to visit. Look on this as an adventure and only keep the stuff that you love or has a special meaning. Sometimes it's just easier to start over when you move. It will save you money if you realize before the move that the old stuff doesn't work with the new house.

Basically, start looking at what needs to go with you. That goes on the moving truck first. The rest can be kept, sold or donated as money and space allows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 07:53 AM

103 posts, read 66,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I would start downsizing so you don't have to pay to move things you really won't need at the new place.

If you are moving from Michigan to Tucson, you won't need to move most winter gear. I start using up what I have and not buy more unless you need it. The adults don't need to buy more winter coats and boots unless something needs to be replaced. Kids grow so they will need new things, but don't go overboard and don't stock up. It may be less expensive to ditch all of the winter stuff and buy new if you come back to visit family in winter. I've made the move from a colder to warmer climate twice. I have a closet full of coats that haven't been worn in two years. My snow boots haven't been worn in four years. I have the space for them so I keep them, but I wouldn't pay to move them.

I would take a serious look at the furniture. Is the children's furniture something you plan to replace in a few years as they get bigger. I would make it work for the next two years and then ditch it. You'll save space and a little money in moving if
you were going to buy new furniture anyway.

Take a look at the knickknacks and decorations. What do you love? You may find that your Michigan decor looks out of place in the southwest. Start thinking in those terms when you go to visit. Look on this as an adventure and only keep the stuff that you love or has a special meaning. Sometimes it's just easier to start over when you move. It will save you money if you realize before the move that the old stuff doesn't work with the new house.

Basically, start looking at what needs to go with you. That goes on the moving truck first. The rest can be kept, sold or donated as money and space allows.

Good Thinking!! Cutting down the snow gear and unnecessary things.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:31 PM

275 posts, read 657,650 times
It is understood that in those two years a lot may change, but if everything would go as you plan, you have a lot of time to prepare, starting with stopping buying something you do not really need, looking for a job and preparing to sell your house, it is probably not worth to put For Sale sign, but it may be wise to place some indicators around, who knows, may be someone in the area you are looking to move have similar plans, but in opposite direction.

Start checking job market the sooner the better.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier12 View Post
It is understood that in those two years a lot may change, but if everything would go as you plan, you have a lot of time to prepare, starting with stopping buying something you do not really need, looking for a job and preparing to sell your house, it is probably not worth to put For Sale sign, but it may be wise to place some indicators around, who knows, may be someone in the area you are looking to move have similar plans, but in opposite direction.

Start checking job market the sooner the better.
I agree with checking the job market. I am focusing on reaching out to recruiters for more advice. Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 PM

227 posts, read 164,958 times
We had a three year plan but most of what we did took place in the last 9 months. Our first hurdle was find a job. Once that was done, we then had a specific deadline. I secured my job 9 months out, hubby got his job and then had to turn around and leave ahead of us. We left the house on the market because we had enough with our two salaries to afford two households. The bulk of that '3 yrs' was my returning to college to earn a degree and a career because we knew it would be necessary to make the move happen.

You need to decide if you wait and move until the house sells. In which case, you will be stuck not looking for a job until you are free to move. Or, put the house on the market shortly before your start dates and be prepared to leave it on the market and have to move ahead of it selling.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbearcountry View Post
We had a three year plan but most of what we did took place in the last 9 months. Our first hurdle was find a job. Once that was done, we then had a specific deadline. I secured my job 9 months out, hubby got his job and then had to turn around and leave ahead of us. We left the house on the market because we had enough with our two salaries to afford two households. The bulk of that '3 yrs' was my returning to college to earn a degree and a career because we knew it would be necessary to make the move happen.

You need to decide if you wait and move until the house sells. In which case, you will be stuck not looking for a job until you are free to move. Or, put the house on the market shortly before your start dates and be prepared to leave it on the market and have to move ahead of it selling.
Thanks for your response. I work from home so my job will continue, I'm allowed 30 days to relocate. We wouldn't be able to afford two mortgages and I worry about him being able to find a job since he has no college degree. He has spoken with recruiters but it's a bit away from the time we want to move. The real estate market I was told is competitive in AZ vs my current township.The house on the next street over hasn't sold and it's been on the market for over 2 years. Also homes in the are priced around 40-50% lower, so qualifying for the minimum average price presents its own concerns.

My family has rentals we could deal with if the house sold a few months ahead of schedule but that's one option. I am realistic on the approach and hope it's achievable. We found a relocation counselor that is supposed to help with the process and extend connections for assistance.

Congratulations on returning to enhance your degree.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:47 AM

227 posts, read 164,958 times
The market where our home is listed is also very sluggish and slow. We've listed our home for just $1k over what we paid 8 years ago because it's stagnant. The appraisal came in at just 5-10k over that but we know how bad the market is so after talking to our agent we decided to keep it on the lower end. We'll probably be in this boat for at least a year and it hurts but we weren't willing to pause our life while waiting for that house to sell.

In your shoes, I'd be inclined to get the home on the market asap. If you've got rental options, it's your best bet. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbearcountry View Post
The market where our home is listed is also very sluggish and slow. We've listed our home for just $1k over what we paid 8 years ago because it's stagnant. The appraisal came in at just 5-10k over that but we know how bad the market is so after talking to our agent we decided to keep it on the lower end. We'll probably be in this boat for at least a year and it hurts but we weren't willing to pause our life while waiting for that house to sell.

In your shoes, I'd be inclined to get the home on the market asap. If you've got rental options, it's your best bet. Good luck!
Thanks for all the advice, I agree I'm ready to start getting the house painted and ready to list. Hoping the rental potential will interest family or double lot will attract first time buyers

Old 08-07-2017, 03:59 PM

859 posts, read 472,387 times
Suggest you reconsider moving in spring/early summer. That's when most moves occur and all moving companies double or treble their prices.

As you research moving companies or other moving methods (U-Haul, PODS, etc.), check to see when their prime seasons are. When you choose the moving method, stay outside that prime season so it won't be so horribly expensive.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:17 AM

10,522 posts, read 8,773,196 times
When I moved my family from WA to CO, we rented a small home for a year while we looked for a place to buy. This enabled us to get more familiar with the housing market and take our time to pick out the best option, which changed over time. When we made the final move to our dream home about a year later, it all paid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or