U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 PM

103 posts, read 66,261 times

Advertisements

My Fiance and I had starting talking about moving right after we met, about a year or so ago we decided we are going to uproot and move the family across the country. It will be Spring/ Early Summer 2019. We have visited the area a few times and fell in love.

Where do we even start!?
Things that we have decided on is selling the current home we live in and buying a house. Tips on any part of the process helpful! [ we threw the idea about renting back and forth a few times, but packing..then moving again without help doesn't sound appealing and we plan on traveling back at least 2-3 more times before we move to verify a few areas of the city we plan to target to relocate ] Secondly, I work from home so will not be needing Employment. My Fiance will be looking for work. We don't want to move until he secures employment. Any advice on this process and employers taking the move seriously? Third, Any other important steps we should take now?

Background:

Moving from Michigan to Tucson, Arizona.
2 children Elementary Age.
No pets.
He works in Sales currently [Real Estate and Construction background].
I work under an Insurance Company.

Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 09:04 AM

5,045 posts, read 5,964,254 times
The first thing you might consider is how marketable your house is and start taking steps to make it appealing to a buyer without over-improving. Many neighborhoods in Michigan are a hard sell, so be realistic. It took my relatives in Southfield almost 3 years to sell their house, and they took a huge loss on it. If you are somewhere people want to buy, like parts of Ann Arbor, it won't be as much of a problem.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
The first thing you might consider is how marketable your house is and start taking steps to make it appealing to a buyer without over-improving. Many neighborhoods in Michigan are a hard sell, so be realistic. It took my relatives in Southfield almost 3 years to sell their house, and they took a huge loss on it. If you are somewhere people want to buy, like parts of Ann Arbor, it won't be as much of a problem.

Thank you for the reply. I am trying to be! We live in a very small town but home values are low. Hoping to market for first time buyers.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:06 PM

73 posts, read 55,204 times
If you're looking at being withtin Tucson, AZ in two years, Start downsizing now. You don't need to make a project out of it quite yet, but if you come across something that you don't need in your house, Just throw it away.

Your husband should start scoping out some job prospects now as well. Browsing some of the companies that he would like to apply for, or even possibly starting a new career line all together. A lot can change in 2 years. Again, you wont need to make a project out of this, but checking the areas, cost of living, school districts, ect. You'll want to start writing a list of possible areas you're interested in.

All in all, It's a bit early to start planning, as your plan will likely change a few times between now and then.

You'll want to reach out to a Realtor in about a years time to begin the process to put your house in the market. With your husbands background in realty, this should be a piece of cake.

in 3-6 months, you'll want to reach out to a few Movers in your Area. Here's a list of movers in your area

Corrigan Moving Systems - United Van Lines
University Moving & Storage - northAmerican Van Lines
Rose Moving & Storage - Allied Van Lines
DMS Moving Systems - Atlas Van Lines (Personal Preference - Good honest folks here)

Entertain a few quotes. These will be valid for 30-90 days depending on the mover. If you're looking at moving within the winter time, you'll need 3-4 weeks of lead time to schedule dates of your preference. If you're moving in the Summer (Assuming this is your preference with having children), you'll want to have 4-6 weeks of lead time. Summers get pretty busy.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanATVL View Post
If you're looking at being withtin Tucson, AZ in two years, Start downsizing now. You don't need to make a project out of it quite yet, but if you come across something that you don't need in your house, Just throw it away.

Your husband should start scoping out some job prospects now as well. Browsing some of the companies that he would like to apply for, or even possibly starting a new career line all together. A lot can change in 2 years. Again, you wont need to make a project out of this, but checking the areas, cost of living, school districts, ect. You'll want to start writing a list of possible areas you're interested in.

All in all, It's a bit early to start planning, as your plan will likely change a few times between now and then.

You'll want to reach out to a Realtor in about a years time to begin the process to put your house in the market. With your husbands background in realty, this should be a piece of cake.

in 3-6 months, you'll want to reach out to a few Movers in your Area. Here's a list of movers in your area

Corrigan Moving Systems - United Van Lines
University Moving & Storage - northAmerican Van Lines
Rose Moving & Storage - Allied Van Lines
DMS Moving Systems - Atlas Van Lines (Personal Preference - Good honest folks here)

Entertain a few quotes. These will be valid for 30-90 days depending on the mover. If you're looking at moving within the winter time, you'll need 3-4 weeks of lead time to schedule dates of your preference. If you're moving in the Summer (Assuming this is your preference with having children), you'll want to have 4-6 weeks of lead time. Summers get pretty busy.

Thank you for the information, I will definitely entertain a quote for future budgeting, I havent thought about hiring a company or attempting ourselves.

We have a list of narrowed down neighborhoods for the next trip out; hoping to spend a little more time this trip.

It is early to plan but I want to make sure the T's are crossed and I's dotted.

I am worried most about the house NOT selling, or not at least "breaking even" with a sale!

Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 PM

24,750 posts, read 23,712,888 times
Definitely start getting rid of things. It's easy to do it piece by piece--especially when you remember that you're going to pay to move it. I kept a bag for clothing in my closet, and a box in the dining room for donations. Junk went right to the trash.

I've learned that breaking even is a good thing. I didn't happen on the last sale.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
I am worried most about the house NOT selling, or not at least "breaking even" with a sale!
This is where you may have to make some hard choices. Back in the early 1980s when GM pulled out of Lansing, Jackson, and Flint, many families had to make a decision about staying or taking a loss on their homes and relocating to AZ or TX. In general, the families that took the loss and moved managed to recover. Very few of the people who stayed in Michigan that I knew were able to recover, and several lost their homes.

Granted the economy is a little better now, but that's one thing you have to weigh.

And by the way, I'm among those who left. It was the right decision for me. I was stringing together 3 minimum wage jobs and even that barely kept my head above water, plus I had a college degree!

No one should have to live like that.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:48 AM

609 posts, read 243,216 times
I started with about a 2-year timeline as well. Began decuttering/donating a box of stuff to thrift stores on a weekly basis and limiting what came into the house as well. Have also begun selling some clothes and books at Plato's Closet and half price books. Not a lot of money, but that's a benefit of starting early if you can.....have time to take a box/bag of clothes/books every week. Also since retiring as of June, now have time for scheduling all the work that needs to be done on the house...painting, repairs, landscaping etc. Where I am (Seattle area) a lot of painters/installers etc are booked way out, so trying to get everything wrapped up by 3 months prior to listing the house - which will hopefully be next spring. I think although it may seem like a long timeline, if you have lots to do on the house and years of accumulated stuff, it can eliminate a lot of stress to give yourself a long timeline.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:56 PM

I should've started earlier than I did: I gave myself a year and 16 months would've been better when I moved from Ohio to Iowa.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 PM

722 posts, read 505,617 times
OP, I was like you, I started early, probably around a year and a half before move. I did a lot of decluttering and also packing up family heirlooms. I could not believe how much our family of 4 accumulated in 15 years! I took it room by room and took lots of breaks.
I also really started researching specific neighborhoods in our new city. I was on CD a lot asking tons of questions. It seemed like forever Until the last month, then it goes like a whirlwind. You gotta just hang on at that point and know you purged, packed and researched appropriately.
You can do it!
Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or