Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 16,490 times

Advertisements

I recently reserved a 22 ft truck from penske to move from wyoming to new hampshire I was quoted 8 gallons a mile also but does anyone know if that gas mileage is based on an empty truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 PM

319 posts, read 1,911,164 times
Penske's website says 8-12 mpg (the 22 ft truck is diesel, and right now diesel costs a lot more than gas). I believe 8 mpg could be expected with a fuller truck and towing a car, while the 12mpg may be closer to empty. There are other factors though such as winds, and how well the truck is running (I've heard great things about Penske's maintenance though).

Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,960 times
Did you get a quote from Budget's website?
When I compared the total cost of a Budget against the total cost of the Penske, I ended up choosing the Budget - an enormous 24 footer with gas engine. I stuffed it full even though I thought it was probably too big when I reserved it. The Budget website lets you play around with the dates, pickup & dropoff locations, etc. to get the best rates and discounts.

You just have to factor the MPG against the differences in cost between diesel (over $4) and gas.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 155,437 times
Sorry Tortoisegirl, my mistake and thank you for replying. I meant to say that all my stuff would fit in a 12ft (not 16) and that I have to get a 16ft (not 22) to haul my car. Sorry for the mix up there.. but now I just found out that the 18" wheels that I have will be too large for the straps according to the Penske video on their car carriers. If thats true.. it looks like Im having my car transported because I dont want my car touching the ground until its in Vegas. Any ideas on the mpg of the 12fter with only 1pc of furniture and a heavy tv and the rest of the load is light? Plz say its 10mpg or more..lol.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 PM

319 posts, read 1,911,164 times
The 12 ft truck has a supposed range of 6-10 mpg (same as 16 ft truck). Have you called Penske to see if they have any other options for you for the auto transport? Maybe you can buy your own straps or something...who knows. There might be instances that 18" wheels are workable, as the upper limit they set is 17". Thanks for that tip by the way, I just double checked our car will work with the trailer! We're about a hundred pounds over the limit, but figure it's within the safety factor.

Also, if your $500 quote stands for shipping your car (I know prices for that have gone up drastically), that is a rather good deal. I got quotes for shipping mine less than 1,500 miles, and it was $800+. There may be other moving options for you as well with not much stuff. I know some people have calculated that even shipping their items through the postal service is cheaper than moving, or getting rid of things and buying new.

Could your car tow a trailer? I wouldn't normally recommend U-haul, but their trailer rentals are decent if your car could take it.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:39 PM

Well.. my cheapest transport quote is $795. Which I think is great compared to others I've gotten. I'll call Penske tomorrow or even drive up there so they can look at my wheels. After calculating both options with a mpg of 10 on the 12ft Penske... Im paying about $460 more transporting it. I'm kinda lookin' forward to driving without the hassle of worrying about my ride behind me bobbing and weaving for 1881 miles. Pros and cons I guess. There is another factor... I leave in 9 days.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:09 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I would shop around some more...UHAUL gave me a much cheeper quote than most others for a 400 mile move....

Old 04-07-2008, 12:44 AM

Heh.. 400 miles is all the distance I'd trust a UHAUL truck. Not my 1881 mi. venture.

Last edited by JDS1; 04-07-2008 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: Wanted to shorten

Old 04-07-2008, 09:09 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
Are those 18" tires/wheels original or did you upgrade after you purchased teh car? If upgrades maybe you can find some "beater" wheels/tires (like people use up north) to change out for the towing dolly.

BTW, I've heard more than one horror story from folks who had cars transported. These were often Porsches, Miatas and others that were purchased out of town and shipped to the new owner. Be careful.

For $900 transport I'd be tempted to drive it myself and fly Southwest back home and get the rest of my stuff.

Although for that small a load the cost of a professional moving company to move the big stuff and then driving your car yourself might not be any more than U-Hauling, Penskeing etc.

We're in the process of a 1000 mile move and we had calculated about $1600 for truck rental, fuel, two nights on the road, hiring some casual labor at each end (we're in our 60's). The quotes we're getting are running about $3200-$3600. That's from the national well-known moving companies. For that difference I'll pay it.

golfgod

Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Hey Tortoisegirl... the 18" wheels fit just fine after all. They say as long as you dont change the diameter. I went to Penske and they were really helpful and even let me drive my car on the carrier to see how my car looks and sits with it hooked up to the truck. Im definately towing my car after that and how my previous transport quote went up as well. Much rather take my time and have my vehicle with me than pay more for transporting it and possiblities of damage or them arriving late or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues