U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:30 AM

649 posts, read 3,334,275 times

Advertisements

I need some help in figuring out how to get rid of a whole lot of stuff. We're moving to Hawaii in July and we have a house FULL of 20 years' worth of accumulated junk, treasures, antiques, etc. We need to get rid of most of it, but many of the items are valuable, so I hate to just give them away or dumpster them. Yet, selling everything on eBay or Craigs List seems like it will take too much time, and often things don't sell.

I live in a small town, and I don't think there is any business around here that could help with this sort of thing. I plan to have three yard sales, at the end of April, May and June, and get rid of what I can that way. I can "freecycle" some stuff, give some to the Salvation Army. But, what is the best way to sell stuff like antique sewing machines, a rollaway bed, a large (8') snake, an antique organ (heavy!) that is in the middle of being restored, etc.??

Any ideas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 10:35 AM

21,956 posts, read 22,834,141 times
You could try Ebay but you'd probably have to request local pick-up. But there are so many people on ebay that you'd be suprised at how many people would drive to your place, if they lived within a fairly close distance, to find an item they just have to have!! Also try to free ads in your local newspaper. There are other sites for selling antiques online that could also be of some help.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,746,432 times
Can you have someone store them and divide half of the proceeds when sold?

Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,086,471 times
you might look to see if there is a local auction house. they often take items on consignment for auctions. you usually just get whatever the item goes for after they take a percentage. At least you would get some cash, and have it all done quickly. you might also check at a local antique shop and see if they take items on consignment.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:07 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,072,543 times
Ithica cant be that small if I have heard of it!!
You might try Craigs list or definitely some sort of Auction house or even have an estate sale if you have that much.

People will travel for estate sales and antiques.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:52 PM

8,829 posts, read 6,882,391 times
ads in the paper can pay off too, do you have some sort of free 'advertiser' I know they have them in Pa at gasstations... Or put a note in grocery stores maybe? It's gonna take a while to sell everything and some things you may have to give away or leave with friends or family. After those yardsales you'll have a better idea of what you're stuck with.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:14 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,194,675 times
Donate what you can to a non profit group, we have big brothers/big sisters. Write off your donation on your taxes at least you will make something off of it. I have a non profit group come to my house every other month to pick up goods. It's worked for me, should work for you. I also listed items of craigslist (free you haul off) that was very successful, plus it helped out college kids trying to funrish their apartment

Old 03-13-2008, 09:51 PM

7,364 posts, read 18,355,315 times
I found people that I thought could use what I was giving away and told them to come get it and for the stuff they didn't want, Hospice came to pick it up.
You'll be really lucky if you can find someone that wants an old sewing machine and organ. If you have any antique stores in your area, call someone to see if they can come out and pick them up.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:28 AM

150 posts, read 694,833 times
I can't say enough good things about Craigs List. My father in law passed away a few months ago and we sold ALL his furniture just from that one free ad. Let me tell you he had some old nasty things but I guess there is someone out there who will buy anything. I plan on putting several more things on there including a antique bedroom set. Go for it!!

Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 PM

114 posts, read 798,145 times
Absolutely do Craig's. Take a few hours to take pics of everything and post them up. Refresh your ad every few days as well. You won't sell anything there if there aren't pics. And tell people to make you a reasonable offer. If you still have a lot a month before the move, stick the posting on the "free" section. And when its getting too close for comfort, donate it all. At the very least you'll have a tax write off. I wouldn't do ebay as THAT is way too time intensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues