U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 03:44 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,807,455 times

Advertisements

I ran into 'some guy' with a business card who said he could do my move out of storage unit into my out of state apartment. Great price, he needs the work, I need the lesser rate and I can't do the lifting I used to do.

I looked up the guys business card to see if his business was registered and I can't find it. NYSDOT and USDOT I believe require him to be registered, and he verbally gave me a quote and said yes when I asked if he was insured. I'm thinking he's not. I'm thinking he is underground economy trying to eek out a living but lying to me about terms because he's vulnerable if he said otherwise.

Any way for me to check this out more without throwing this guy to the government hounds?

Think it's foolish taking a chance on him?

I don't own antiques or anything, my computers & personal files are coming in my vehicle and I'd likely have to resort to renting a ryder/penske truck and hiring people on both ends to load/unload. My last experience with a proffessional mover was $860 ($220 over quoted price) to move a pre packed no appliance 1br apartment 3 miles away to a storage unit.

Part of me is thinking- If I'm going to get screwed, why should I pay more for the privilege when the gov't is nowhere to be found when you've got a problem with the pro's? Insured feels like false security. I mean, what's the real likelihood that the truck would go careening off a cliff rending my possessions to ashes? Am I way off base on this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 05:03 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,635,017 times
Just based on what you've said, I would say no. Does he insure everything he moves? Any broken items during transport completely resotored or replaced? There is a whole lot more to it than just moving out of the storage unit and into the apartment - there is the road travel between. Does he have padding and ties in his truck or is he just using a pickup truck and a buddy helping him? Do you want this uninsured, unbonded and unlicensed person knowing what you have, what and how you paid him and what you owe him at the other end?

It's your stuff, so only you know what it's worth to you. For my money, I'd hire people that have a license number and are bonded. Who pays if this guy injures his back while trying to move some of your furntiure? That's mostly what the insurance is all about. If you want your things insured, they have to pack everything so they know all the flaws of every piece before it went in a box. Too many people were claiming damage in transport when it was damaged to begin with. You know what they say... one bad apple.

But after having done it in the past three years I wish I had just sold everything, taken what I could transport in my car with me and then started from scratch at the destination. And yes, I used a licensed and fully insured national company.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:53 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,915,856 times
Here you go:

Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams

Old 03-15-2008, 03:15 PM

7,282 posts, read 17,212,545 times
Ask for references from other people, otherwise I wouldn't deal with him.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:33 PM

2,943 posts, read 7,303,532 times
Hey thanks Catnap, that website just kept me from making a HUGE mistake.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:09 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,915,856 times
Your welcome.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:52 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,807,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
thank you so much for that link. I had a feeling I was on my own with false senses of security.
FYI- to all who responded to this query- the man with the card quoted me $2500. Another registered business, with insurance, quoted me $3900, plus additional fees for real insurance. Should I be satisfied with being reimbursed 60 cents a pound for damage to items (watercolor art doesn't weigh a pound), it's inclusive. Should I be unsatisfied, the optional rate is $8 per $100 of value to my property (which cancels out the 60 cents a pound inclusive). Thing is, my stuff is already packed in boxes in a storage unit ready to load, so they likely won't honor any claim I would put in calling it prior damage.

Hindsight I wish I had a garage sale years ago before I put the stuff in storage, but in for a penny, in for a pound at this point.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:16 PM

1,943 posts, read 7,772,864 times
Too many moving scams. I got screwed by one company. I would only do recommendations. Check Angie's List too.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:58 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,650,152 times
Harborlady: I spent 18 years in the moving story so I'm more than qualified to answer your questions.

First off, you were smart to dump the guy with the business card. Memo to all: NEVER take a verbal quote. It means NOTHING and you will end up paying way more than the quote. A verbal quote has no authority.

Also, it's best to go with a mover with a name--Atlas, Allied, Graebel, North American, United, Mayflower, Bekins, Wheaton. These are the people who are the best. Will some of them screw up? Sure. Just like Microsoft and GM screw up.

As for the liability protection, remember it's not "insurance". Carriers are not allowed by law to provide you with "insurance". Sounds like you're moving just boxes. If that's the case and you've already packed them, don't buy the liability protection. For items that you've packed there is a limit to even the top level protection--there must be outside signs of visible damage. The carrier will not cover items you packed--who's to say the glasses that broke weren't packed improperly?

If you had nice furniture, antiques, artwork, I'd definitely say go for it. It's worth the peace of mind. But for a bunch of boxes, best not to do it. If they drop a box during unloading, MAKE SURE IT'S DOCUMENTED so if something inside is broken, you have some recourse. Although, at .60/lb you won't get a lot back.

I hope I've helped. Feel free to send me a note if you have more questions. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 23,695 times
The guy very well may be a good guy who wont try to ********* over, but when a company has no one to answer to like a van line or state associations, BBB ect. there is nothing to stop them from screwing you over. If the truck doesnt run off the road it still could arrive with alot ofdamage to your furniture. I guess you have to weigh if its worth the risk. In order to get good insurance from a real moving company they should be affiliated with a Van Line. You would be arguing with a big insurance company if anything did happen but the chances of them paying up for a mishap is better I think. Allied Van Lines, North American Van Lines and United Van Lines are some of the largest. You could research there agents in your area. It is expensive though. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues