U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2017, 11:58 PM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
4,873 posts, read 2,241,000 times
Reputation: 16441

Advertisements

The only way I'd do this? Is if I got to be the guy driving the truck.

 
Old 09-15-2017, 04:45 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,667 posts, read 8,958,791 times
Reputation: 10958
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Good Lord, this is the second time???

Time to grow up, OP.
Definitely time to grow up. Especially if you have kids.
 
Old 09-15-2017, 05:12 AM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,547 posts, read 17,478,501 times
Reputation: 16765
My first fiance and I ended up moving in with his mom when our apartment had to have structual repairs, and everyone had to leave. We and a car full of stuff showed up to stay with her until something settled. She had a two bedroom small house, and she had one and his sister the other. We tried to keep our stuff from being too much of a mess, but his sister put us to shame in the mess department (periodically he'd go in her room when she wasn't there and would retrieve all the dishes and silverware she'd not bothered to bring back into the kitchen. Actually while his mom liked neatness, she was pretty messy herself. But his sister liked being the drama queen and would yell about whatever for a while, and then slam her door and not come out once she turned on the music.

He and I had the couch, which was pretty big and comfortable, and his mom her room. Otherwise it was mostly creative disorder.

With so many people so close, his sister had to do the drama queen every few days, and we'd get in an argument, and he'd take off in a walk to cool off. Then he'd come back and apologise and his mom would come out of her room and we'd watch some tv. It was... interesting. But I have reasons now for prefering the only roommates be four legged.

He still goes out every weekend to check on his mom. His sister lives near but seems to be 'busy' a lot so he takes the bus. She and I never exactly hit it off though I really liked his mom. Now, my dad was willing to have me stay after mom died, but he and I got along just about as well as my ex and his sister. Just because they're family doesn't mean you can live together.

I really tried to stay at the house with Dad after Mom died. But Dad and I were so very much alike, and buttons got easily pushed, and I couldn't wait to get out of the house and have some quiet. I didn't love Dad any less, but we just couldn't cohabit the same space without fireworks. He also didn't like some of my clothes, my boyfriend, my friends, and so on. And I wasn't a kid anymore and when I got stressed out at work, needed space and quiet or music or whatever behind a closed door.

When there comes a time when kids move on you can work around the problems for only so long and its better to give each other some space. You can visit that way and then go home and everyone is feeling better.
 
Old 09-15-2017, 06:52 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
10,222 posts, read 4,789,512 times
Reputation: 21518
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Maybe 1% of the people that moved where I did move in 3 years. Some people here buy online without ever setting foot in the state, and they are still here.

It sounds like you didn't know what you were looking for. Again you give no examples on how it was different than you thought it would be let alone 1000.

I have done this. I haven't had one surprise. When I got here I spent 2 days driving around to double check. I really doubt you researched thoroughly. Don't ever insult me because you couldn't figure it out or probably didn't even know what you wanted!

Your last sentence comes across as rude, just wanted to point that out. We don't like rudeness here on C-D.
 
Old 09-15-2017, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,843 posts, read 1,380,561 times
Reputation: 9961
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Maybe 1% of the people that moved where I did move in 3 years. Some people here buy online without ever setting foot in the state, and they are still here.

It sounds like you didn't know what you were looking for. Again you give no examples on how it was different than you thought it would be let alone 1000.

I have done this. I haven't had one surprise. When I got here I spent 2 days driving around to double check. I really doubt you researched thoroughly. Don't ever insult me because you couldn't figure it out or probably didn't even know what you wanted!
LOL sensitive are we. exactly how did I insult you?? Oh wait I disagreed with your point. there is a reason your sentences start with "I". it's because they are your "experiences".

They are not "my experiences". I'm slap happy you haven't had one surprised. Excuse me if I mistakenly thought I was allowed to post my own perspective and experience.

continue on.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 09-15-2017 at 09:12 AM..
 
Old 09-15-2017, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,843 posts, read 1,380,561 times
Reputation: 9961
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Your last sentence comes across as rude, just wanted to point that out. We don't like rudeness here on C-D.
It's all good chiluvr1228. I've come to realize that some people really don't like it if you do not goose step lock and key with them.

What's really interesting is that in her/his first post she said she didn't agree with folks who rented for a year. LOL I guess it's perfectly ok for her to not agree with others but we're all supposed to agree with his/her post.


It's all good.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 09-15-2017 at 09:16 AM..
 
Old 09-15-2017, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,304 posts, read 10,709,300 times
Reputation: 20540
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomWifeNurse23 View Post
We recently moved away from our hometown in NY to a beautiful new neighborhood in NC. It was a great move for us. Fresh and new, and I was able to transfer my job here. We are renting since we are new to the area, but really have thought about buying a house. There is no way we'd be able to save up a decent down payment on a house here with all of our bills including the $17k we will have paid in rent at the end of our lease. We are thinking about moving our entire family (2 adults 3 kids) back to NY at the end of our lease into my parents house for a year to be able to save up to buy a house. My parents already agreed to it (it was their idea actually) and they have plenty of space for us in their 4 bedroom house. I would most likely be able to transfer my job, or find a new one quickly as nurses are high in demand. My husband is a truck driver, so he can go anywhere. I am just looking for opinions/advice from anyone who has ever done this. I am on the fence about how I feel having all of my personal things in storage, and living with my parents for so long. The kids would be going back to the same school they came from, so I'm not concerned about them adjusting. For anyone wondering, we moved on a whim for a change that turned out great. We don't hate where we live now, just never really knew how much money we actually put into renting! Thanks for any help!
This has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've read in a long time. Moving is expensive. You need to find a job and stick with it! No company is going to keep transferring you every year just because you want to keep moving around.

Moving your entire family into your parents house is a HORRIBLE idea! After a few weeks, you'll be driving each other mad and you'll be moving out.

Your kids need stability! You've already uprooted them once and move them like 750 miles away. Now you want to do it 2 more times? Seriously? They need to stay in school and not keep moving to different states where education is different.

This is pure madness. You knew what your rent was going to be when you signed your lease. If you don't like how much it costs, that's on you. When your lease is up for renewal, look for a place that costs less. Moving multiple times will not help you!
 
Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,025 posts, read 69,950,573 times
Reputation: 75799
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Failed Move. Want To Try Again. Need Advice.

From a previous thread, it appears that you moved from NY to NC, back to NY because of the culture shock, and now you're back in NC? Take into account that all these moves are taking away money that you could be saving for a down payment.

I think you should just downsize to a cheaper place, and start saving as much money as you can.
OP, in view of your earlier thread, your current one makes no sense. Read what you wrote two years ago, about moving your kids to NC, and your own reaction to it. You said it was much to hot May through September (as if NY isn't hot, but I guess May and Sept. are transitional months, so, maybe not as bad as further south).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomWifeNurse23;
We stayed in NC because I had landed a federal job, and we liked our neighborhood. My kids on the other hand were absolutely miserable. It was so hot from May thru September, we couldn't even enjoy time outside. They were homesick , and it began to rub off on my husband, and I. Both of our families all live in New York. We decided to move back home for the sake of our children's happiness. We've been back in NY for 9 months now, and I'm beginning to grow tired of it. All the reasons we left are just like slapping me in the face. My dilemma is, because my kids (11, 8, 3) were SO unhappy with our last move, my 11 year old son is very against us moving. He says he wants to stay near family, and his friends. He even begged me to live with grandma if we decided to move. What do I do? I'm torn. Pro/con lists are useless, as they usually come out pretty even. Any advice is appreciated!
Why does your current opening post sound like your kids are suddenly happy in NC? Why do you now love it, whereas during your first experiment in residency there, you weren't happy? What has changed? Is this really the same person posting this time, as last time, or is someone impersonating you? lol
 
Old 09-15-2017, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
26,436 posts, read 62,677,450 times
Reputation: 30234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've read in a long time. Moving is expensive. You need to find a job and stick with it! No company is going to keep transferring you every year just because you want to keep moving around.

Moving your entire family into your parents house is a HORRIBLE idea! After a few weeks, you'll be driving each other mad and you'll be moving out.

Your kids need stability! You've already uprooted them once and move them like 750 miles away. Now you want to do it 2 more times? Seriously? They need to stay in school and not keep moving to different states where education is different.

This is pure madness. You knew what your rent was going to be when you signed your lease. If you don't like how much it costs, that's on you. When your lease is up for renewal, look for a place that costs less. Moving multiple times will not help you!
We did not have any issues when we lived with my parents for a month or two. Not even with seven of us. they were happy to have us. We enjoyed spending time with them and we could leave the kids with them when we went to work on the house. It was not perfect, but it was pleasant.

The second point is a good one. Kids need stability. They need to hang out with and develop their friend group. We had some advantages to deal with this, with 5 kids they are their own friend group to some extent; it was summer; we were out at our house working to get the C of O every day, the Kids could come with us and hang out with their local friends all day. However as time wore on and the start of school grew closer, we got desperate to get in.

The moving back and forth thing is a bit problematic, but moving in with parents for a while is not a big problem. At least not all the time. For us it worked out very well. Everyone enjoyed it.

The only reason we are keeping the big house we no longer need is the possibility that one of the kids will need to come back and live with us with or without their family if they have one and the hope that one of the kids will move inn with their family and eventually take the house over (we can live in the carriage house, or just find a smaller place nearby). There is also some appeal to us in that any grandkids will love our house. It is a play heaven for younger kids. That alone though is probably not enough to stay in it.
 
Old 09-15-2017, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
15,693 posts, read 26,672,250 times
Reputation: 20272
My thoughts:

I live in a high cost of living area. I have seen both parents and grandparents have adult children, including married adult children with kids, move in and save for a place of their own. I think it works best when everyone knows the timeline. If it is going to be a year then everyone should understand that a year it is.

My sister and her husband were living with her inlaws when they got married. Her husband is the baby of the family. His parents have a large home with 4 bedrooms. They travel a lot and thought it would be a good idea to have there son and my sister at the home. As soon as my sister and her husband saved for a condo the parents asked them to rent out the condo and keep living at the home. Since they have been married they have acquired homes, condos, small apartment buildings in California, Arizona, and Arkansas. When they moved to Arizona the parents rented out the home and moved with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top