U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:36 AM

43 posts, read 243,375 times

Advertisements

Our Texas license plate will be up for renewal soon, but by then we will be living in a hotel in the Portland/Vancouver area, waiting to close on our house. How do you handle that situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 06:49 AM

290 posts, read 665,918 times
Me personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Others here may disagree. Generally speaking you have a time frame that each state allows you for registering cars. You will be essentially be homeless. Good luck trying to register a car without an address! Also, most cops typically do not car about out-of-state registrations and inspections.

If somehow you still manage to get pulled over and ticketed, chalk it up to bad luck...pay the fine and move on. It might end up being less than the Texas registration?

Old 09-15-2017, 07:14 AM

4,924 posts, read 3,398,732 times
My Minnesota tabs were due July 31. Even though I was fairly certain I would be moving by September (which I did), I went ahead & paid for those tabs & then again here in Arizona when I registered my car here.

Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Moving is stressful enough, why put more stress on yourself? Worrying about getting a ticket - which may or may not cost more in the long run, just isn't worth it.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:40 AM

420 posts, read 291,543 times
I would go ahead and renew early. That way you aren't violating any law and don't have to change right away in the new state. You will be out the money for the two step but you can drive on those plates in the new state so no big deal.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:08 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,495,809 times
I drove my parents' car in a different state once and realized the registration had expired. I was a little nervous about getting pulled over, but nothing happened. I think it's unlikely you get noticed, but it's still "wrong." I see some people with 6-month old tags, so it's definitely something you can get away with.

It's more of a money thing. When I transferred my car to a different state, I didn't even show them the old registration, just the old title. I don't think it had a (current) expiration date. A lot of time with registration renewals, they specifically say you pay an additional fee for late registrations. $$$

Quote:
Moving is stressful enough, why put more stress on yourself? Worrying about getting a ticket - which may or may not cost more in the long run, just isn't worth it.
I once drove across the country and had my car so full I would have had to unpack the front seat to open the glove box and get out my registration/insurance (forgot to take it out before packing!). Made sure I drove the speed limit!

Old 09-15-2017, 08:11 PM

219 posts, read 108,798 times
I would flip a coin and either renew early or just say F it and roll. I can't imagine texas registration being that expensive. It would be a small price to pay for peace of mind from bored cops.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:14 PM

10,303 posts, read 14,164,636 times
Eh, I got a ticket it for doing just that. Told the cop I was in between residences and living out of hotel with no permanent address and no way to get tags in my new county and the old had expired, no sympathy at all. Yeah, not fun, and an unnecessary added cost and hassle. Renew before you go and hope they prorate the tags in your new state.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:21 PM

609 posts, read 362,510 times
I had the same situation last year. I renewed my tags in the state I was moving away from. As soon as I was settled and had an address, I registered in the new state and mailed my old tags back, and got a refund.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:59 AM

13,027 posts, read 17,599,481 times
You can renew on line and Texas tags are inexpensive. A misdemeanor may not be pretty on a background check and that is what driving without tags can get you.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:27 AM

384 posts, read 212,013 times
If its cheaper than a traffic ticket I would renew before I moved. I just moved and renewed even though it was for only a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or