Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 12:03 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,873,616 times

Advertisements

Not all Penske trucks are diesel. Ours was not (16'). 2008, NYC - OR!! Honestly don't think it matters anymore, diesel prices are no longer half or less what regular unleaded costs. That hasn't been the case for years if not decades. Would not use U-Haul again for any reason. Not even at gunpoint. IF Budget guaranteed a newish truck (<10,000mi.). I 'might' risk it. Last project (AZ to OR) Budget was the only option and the truck (brand new) was excellent. Have never had a bad experience with Penske. Worth paying more for IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 12:54 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,147,674 times
------warning--------
I heard somewhere that some moving trucks are infested with bed bugs. Don't know what the solution for that problem. Maybe a bug bomb an hour before you load it and a fan to air it out afterwards.

Don't have any real suggestions. My last move was from a two bedroom apartment across country. Luckily uhaul was out of the smaller sized and got upgraded to a larger one with a built in ramp(maybe they all have these) We greatly underestimated the amount of stuff and lucked out having the larger truck.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:09 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,041,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Penske. Be sure to call, they usually offer discounts on the phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelight21 View Post
Yes, it's more. The only thing is I'm eligible for is a 10% discount. The NY metro area is excluded from the extra 20% discount. How are Uhaul's service and truck conditions?
I would go with kab0906's advice and look into Penske.

The Penske fleet seems to be noticeably younger. They offer diesel and while the price of diesel vs. gas is debatable, the diesel has far less trouble with more weight and inclines.

I've used Uhaul, Budget and Penske for my many Army moves. My longest move was 1,700 miles and I used Penske. I'm really glad I did, too as the truck was in great shape, much newer than what I could've gotten from Uhaul. It was diesel and had no issues with the weight I was moving: 2,200 square foot house while towing a car hauler with crossover. Didn't feel sluggish at all.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:36 PM

626 posts, read 620,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
UHaul or Budget ?

Only Penske if you value your belongings. Their trucks are very clean and in excellent condition, bug free, and you get what you pay for. They will also rent you a flatbed and attach it to the truck to carry your car if you like.
I second this as well. I used a large Penske truck and car flatbed for a move from NC to CA. It was great and I actually got a accordion file container returned back to me that I accidentally left in the truck when I returned it. They mailed it to my house in CA from someone who moved to Penn.
The truck was almost new and it was diesel. The only bad thing was the governor was set at 70mph.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:58 AM

33 posts, read 21,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
UHaul or Budget ?

Only Penske if you value your belongings. Their trucks are very clean and in excellent condition, bug free, and you get what you pay for. They will also rent you a flatbed and attach it to the truck to carry your car if you like.
+1 for Penske. Can't go wrong... though I've never had a bad experience with budget either. Stay far far away from Uhaul, unless you are hauling trash and are flexible about dates.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,963,198 times
Penske, without a doubt. Try using NJ as your point of origin, and the daily rate might be much lower. You will get dinged for a trip across the GW of course, but ir was well worth it when I did it.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:09 PM

15 posts, read 13,197 times
Trying to plan out my trip and need some information on MPG for fuel.

Renting a 26' foot Penske truck in August to move from Florida to Prescott, AZ. I will be towing my car on a trailer behind it. They mainly have diesel but I could get a gas engine (prefer diesel). I plan to drive about 55 MPH in the right lane with a light foot. Heard 8-10 MPG without trailer.

Anyone have actual experience that can tell me what MPG they got? Thank you.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:30 PM

3,845 posts, read 7,918,566 times
we went with Penske from Fl-Nc.. Used a coupon code (its still on here in my past posts from around last year i believe it was 001) and got a 16ft truck for $200 for 3 days. The truck was brand spankin new... it had 200 miles on. Hubs got 75 mph on it and was smooth sailing.. We had a really good experience with them. Will use again.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:33 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,190,666 times
From my experience, you cannot tow with U'haul's smallest truck, nor can you use them for distance moves. I go with Budget because they are half the cost of U'haul.

I had a similar experience with Budget while doing my Dallas to Chicago move last year. Once we got to St. Louis, we decided it made sense to take the car off the dolly and drive it the rest of the way in. I called Budget customer service to ask them if I could do this without penalty and they said yes. When I made it to Chicago, the final drop-off location tried to charge me for dropping it in St. Louis. I had to explain that customer service told me this was fine to do and I wouldn't have taken it to another location without asking first. I had to fuss with them until they waived the fee.

You just can't beat Budget's prices so I would still go with them. I would just try my best to follow their rules. If there are any issues getting the truck and dolly to the final drop-off location, I would try to contact them directly instead of calling customer service or another location.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:34 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,190,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
we went with Penske from Fl-Nc.. Used a coupon code (its still on here in my past posts from around last year i believe it was 001) and got a 16ft truck for $200 for 3 days. The truck was brand spankin new... it had 200 miles on. Hubs got 75 mph on it and was smooth sailing.. We had a really good experience with them. Will use again.
That's a steal! How did you get such a discounted coupon? Did you have to book online?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues