Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:39 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has ever used the POD system for moving? It sounds like a sensible way to go - you get the PODs delivered ahead of time, take your time packing. Then the company will pick up the PODs and either deliver them to your destination or store them for a fee. We're considering having them stored and subletting a furnished apt until our house is ready. Would appreciate any feedback. It is definitely less expensive than using a traditional moving company. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 04:46 AM

305 posts, read 1,807,922 times
My son used PODS when they moved from NH to NC. They also stored them with the company until their house was ready. He told me that it went very smoothly. A lot more smoothly than when they had a national mover do their move from FL to NH 10 years ago! He said the pod was the perfect size (for a 2br/2ba home). They kept the pod and filled it up for three days (they both were working so could only pack it at night). Then, they came and took it away. There was a 10-day gap between the time they took the pod and the date they actually moved to NC. All they had to do was call the company and tell them what time to bring it. They unpacked it within a day (they hired some guys from a temp agency) and it was taken away.

They paid $3,400 for the national mover when they moved from FL to NH. For the PODS, they only paid $1,540 - which included everything including the POD people to hold it for a few days until they got to NC.

We're moving to NC next year. We'll be using the PODS as well.

The key to the PODS, he told me, was to make sure everything was packed in tight so that there's no movement.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:43 AM

114 posts, read 818,799 times
You may want to use the search function on this particular forum for "PODS". After reading the threads, I ended up deciding against them. They are terribly expensive. I've seen a lot of recs for ABF.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:02 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I used them to move from FL to SC. After doing much research and number crunching it was the most cost effective route for me.

They were great to work with across the board. When our closing was delayed the stored the unit for us and delivered it the morning after closing.

I moved a 3 bedroom house easily, including washer/dryer, freezer, and whatever all of that crap was that took up so much space in the garage that my car never even thought about going inside.

I recommend PODS and would use them again.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:52 AM

35 posts, read 112,464 times
I used PODS for a recent move from NC to NE. Not a good experience. Overpriced and no customer service. I'm trying to file a claim b/c the POD was damaged and leaked water/snow on some of my belongings. But you can't file a claim unless you speak with someone and you can't speak to those someones when you call. They have to call you back. And after 8 weeks, I've yet to get a call back. Go with ABF U-pack if they are in your area. Much cheaper and more frequently recommended.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:55 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I used ABF and saved a bundle. ABF had some of the nicest people I had ever dealt with.
I moved from SC to PA. A mover gave me an estimate of $8300. I moved with ABF for $1100. I will continue to use ABF whenever possible.
Don

Old 03-09-2008, 01:51 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I used PODS for my move from FL back to GA. It was pretty easy and fairly low stress. ABF doesn't do short distance moves, so you need to do your homework first.

I had trouble fitting all of my belongings into one container, small 3 BR home, but maybe I have a lot of large furniture. I had to donate a number of less necessary items to charity and then stuff my pickup truck, too.

You also need to make sure that there is ample room for them to deliver the container. That by far was the most difficult part of the project. You have to have 13' overhead clearance and a roughly 20' x 20' level, and preferably paved, surface for them to place the container on. I had to take down a section of fence at my former home for them to have access because of the large overhanging limbs in my drive.

Even with all of that, since I was doing the move solo and couldn't find anyone to help me drive a big U-Haul, the simplicity of the endeavor outweighed any extra financial expense and effort.

They warehoused my container for three months and delivered it to my new house once I got settled again. Very courteous, friendly staff on both ends of the deal.

Yes, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:43 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
I know someone that used them to move from Alabama to South Carolina and they lost her POD. And because they are franchise owned they kept blaming it on the other franchisee. It took a month to find their POD. Needless to say they took legal action.

I'd consider them for a move within the same area but definitely not from one franchisee area to another. Sure that was one incident but it was a very serious incident and the reaction of the company and both franchisee owners screams problems to me.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:26 PM

100 posts, read 352,123 times
We used a company called Smart Move. They use UPS freight to drop off and move the pods. They can store your stuff for up to 30 days at no charge at any UPS freight depot. They are GPS tracked like a UPS package so you can keep track of where your stuff is.

The thing I liked best was that you lock your own pods and keep the keys. You don't have to worry about any of your boxes getting misplaced moving from truck to warehouse and back again.

The only thing I did not like is that you have to be very careful to make sure that your wood furniture has enough pads around it. The vibration can cause marks.

The crew that loaded us in Jax was not very good at that. My husband had to redo most of it to make sure our furniture was protected. The crew on the other end was fabulous. They were very careful with unloaded and were very nice.

I would do a pod move again. I have been told the Pack Rats is pretty good also since they use alittle bit larger pods it is easier to load.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:44 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Thanks to all who provided such valuable information! This was a huge help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues