U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:43 AM

434 posts, read 302,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I actually gained weight in the summer and lost it in the fall/winter when I lived there because in the summer I went to work and then just went and sat in the house because it was too hot to do anything.
I SO relate to this. The unbearable heat here keeps me prisoner inside. It's also given my mom a heart attack. We're all looking to bail on Vegas ASAP.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:51 AM

698 posts, read 419,760 times
In the Mid-Atlantic areas, it can get really hot and really cold, but not very often or for very long. Low risk for natural disaster type stuff as well. Mostly, it's just four-season temperate.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:36 AM

6,620 posts, read 3,687,027 times
Priorities change -- as a retired person, I never want to shovel snow again or cut the grass. I picked a near perfect four-season spot. When I was younger there were other priorities like good schools and jobs in my field and COL...but weather/climate was still in the mix...just not at the top. I live in the desert outside Albuquerque and haven't heard a lawnmower in four years (yes!) and what snow we get is gone in a few hours.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:59 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,206,024 times
I craved living near the beach - for years that's all I talked about. Well, got the chance and couldn't wait to get away from there. After the first year never really went to the beach - once or twice a month - not like I thought I would - work demands, life demands just changed that. then the constant humidity started taking a toll on me. Miserable year round - the winters had a cold dampness and from March through October the heat, humidity, bugs, killed me. I made it almost 5 years and honestly haven't thought about it since. I will admit I'm not liking Charlotte again. Lived here 8 years before moving to the beach and very soon - I'm outta here!!...

Old 11-28-2017, 11:42 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,190,490 times
Weather was my PRIMARY consideration when relocating. But I am very sensitive to lack of sunlight. Some folks mood's are not impacted in the least by weather. I am. So, I would never again live in an area that is overcast and cloudy a good part of the year. Regardless of the temperatures, I need blue skies and sunny days.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:29 PM

7,205 posts, read 2,964,860 times
Interesting how different people's priorities are, even considering the "basics" like work, affordability or family.

Weather was just about at the top of my list of priorities. I love rain, snow, wind, and cold and detest heat (and I consider 75 much too hot). My job searches are influenced heavily by the weather. If summers get hot, forget it.

The happiest I've ever been anywhere is Alaska. The lack of daylight in winter has never bothered me. The 18+ hour summer days get to me a little as there isn't as much night to cool things off. Up in Interior AK the summer days can get pretty warm and then the sun hardly sets....it can reach the 80s and stay there until the weather changes.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:40 PM

26,610 posts, read 63,057,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
After living in Minnesota for 15 years, the answer is yes. I will never again live anyplace where winter is 6 months long!
I said that when I moved from Michigan to California. After 18 years I was desperate to get back to Michigan. Came back and found I did not hate winter after all. I only hate it from February 27 through March 18.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:53 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,945,248 times
Yes. I cannot go to Phoenix because it is too hot and other reasons.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 AM

898 posts, read 446,438 times
Weather was one of the top priorities (behind cost of living and scenery) for my family moving, but for the opposite reason that most people move. We wanted to leave the bland, mild climate of coastal southern California to somewhere with actual weather. We knew we disliked heat of any kind (dry or humid) and we knew we loved any and all precipitation (rain, snow, hail, you name it). Duluth was the perfect place for us. Thus far, it is great. I feel like I hold my own in the cold better than some of the natives so I must be doing something right.

It has taken some adjustment mostly for my wife and niece since they have lived a much larger percentage of their life in a mild climate, and I have live/worked in North Dakota and Colorado before.

I have noticed that my perception to the weather is mostly mental. If I WANT to find something wrong with the weather, I WILL find it.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:50 AM

434 posts, read 302,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Weather was one of the top priorities (behind cost of living and scenery) for my family moving, but for the opposite reason that most people move. We wanted to leave the bland, mild climate of coastal southern California to somewhere with actual weather. We knew we disliked heat of any kind (dry or humid) and we knew we loved any and all precipitation (rain, snow, hail, you name it). Duluth was the perfect place for us. Thus far, it is great. I feel like I hold my own in the cold better than some of the natives so I must be doing something right.

It has taken some adjustment mostly for my wife and niece since they have lived a much larger percentage of their life in a mild climate, and I have live/worked in North Dakota and Colorado before.

I have noticed that my perception to the weather is mostly mental. If I WANT to find something wrong with the weather, I WILL find it.
Thanks for sharing this perspective. Recently had to help with a family situation back in Denver. While I have no desire to live there again, it made me miss cooler weather. I'm actually missing wearing jeans/hoodie, instead of flip flops. In Vegas I'm always trying to hide from the sun to prevent sun damage and I miss a good, booming thunderstorm! Also, Christmas just seems prettier in a colder climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or