U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 11:29 AM

751 posts, read 859,388 times

Advertisements

I think we made some rash and stupid decisions. We are moving across country next week and bought new furniture to take with us as the furniture selection on the other end seemed slim. Probably first mistake.

We then began to pack our new furniture which some of it came unboxed, into our Upack containers.

Guess what? Some of it, even with our best packing efforts got scratched.

Now we're kicking ourselves for buying the furniture and not being more careful. Not our best decisions. Lots of "should of" statements which at this point doesn't help.

And me with my OCD, doesn't help the cause either

I hate moving...

It's not expensive stuff and we'll just need to get over it and make repairs on the other end. But still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 12:06 PM

3,987 posts, read 7,260,117 times
Old English scratch cover will conceal a multitude of sins. Donít beat yourself up. You just paid some tuition in the school of hard knocks.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:14 PM

I appreciate that...

Old 12-10-2017, 09:37 AM

7,658 posts, read 8,947,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
I think we made some rash and stupid decisions. We are moving across country next week and bought new furniture to take with us as the furniture selection on the other end seemed slim. Probably first mistake.

We then began to pack our new furniture which some of it came unboxed, into our Upack containers.

Now we're kicking ourselves for buying the furniture and not being more careful. Not our best decisions. Lots of "should of" statements which at this point doesn't help.

I hate moving...

It's not expensive stuff and we'll just need to get over it and make repairs on the other end. But still...
First World problems...

Old 12-10-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
First World problems...
No, actually moving and anxiety problems but thanks for your contribution to my thread.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:27 AM

7,658 posts, read 8,947,264 times
Quote:
No, actually moving and anxiety problems but thanks for your contribution to my thread.
It's new furniture. It's a First World problem. Regarding the anxiety, you need to talk to a professional and not ask for advice here.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:51 AM

If you bothered to read my post you would have seen that I didn't ask for advice. Please move on with your constructive statements.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:57 PM

2,962 posts, read 2,729,289 times
PSA
Having packed and moved myself a couple times this is for future reference.

As jeans become old do not throw them out. Save the denim and cut into leg strips. When moving pack all your furniture by draping in denim / moving blankets and then shrink wrap with those rolls of stretch wrap. These can be purchased at moving packing supply companies. It makes the wrapped furniture tacky so it does not slide around as much when strapped into moving vehicle.

Sometimes things break free so wedge all your soft items between (mattress. sofa cushions etc..)

Old 12-10-2017, 01:58 PM

Good idea, thanks!

Old 12-10-2017, 02:23 PM

6,779 posts, read 2,755,908 times
Quote:

I hate moving...

Your furniture was destined to get dinged and scratched over time anyway. Now the "new" is worn off so the next scratches it gets won't hurt as much. It now has "patina" Really, there are lots of products available that can hide or repair such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or