Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 03:08 PM

505 posts, read 579,379 times

Advertisements

I've read a few posters on CD mention that other factors in a city trump the weather. Currently, I'm leaning towards moving back to the midwest (Chicago) or east (Pittsburgh, Boston). I dislike snow, but there would be more perceived positives to those environments than where I currently live (in Las Vegas, NV). I've also lived in Florida, Texas, Illinois, Colorado and Italy.

My top criteria is:

1. excellent doctors/jobs
2. the people, strong sense of community
3. live music, culture, museums, public events, plays and shows
4. scenery/weather - I need parks and I love trees!

Just don't know if the terrible weather would make me unhappy or I'd just adapt.

Anyone relate or have any advice? Thanks.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:10 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,396,057 times
I left the NE after 10 years because of the weather. I’m from the south, so I wanted to get back to milder weather, with little to no snow. I’m not to fond of cold and snow when I have to go out in it. I like snow when I can watch it fall outside from my window, but having to go out when it iced over...no. Terrible memories of painful falls on the ice.

I was living in the NE before work from home became popular. When it snowed, the employer would give you one day, any other day you had to use your PTO. And really, it was frowned upon if you didn’t come to work after the one day given by the employer. Which meant I had to leave my warm, cozy house and pray I didn’t get into an accident. Not to mention dress my then toddler and carry him in the cold and snow to daycare. It was miserable. I was miserable.

My child’s all grown up; therefore, if the right opportunity came along, and the job allowed remote work, I would consider moving back NE. As long as I’m not expected to go to work in snowy weather, I would consider a move.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:09 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,869,742 times
There are other factors that trump the weather but keep in mind that you will be going back and forth in the weather to work and even if you have a short commute, you will be in the weather on your off time

I was offered a golden opportunity job in Kentucky while I was living in Upstate NY. This was a hard decision for me because I absolutely love Upstate NY and yes, the weather too. The job in Kentucky was just too good to refuse as it was a fast-track job to a manager role and had good potential to a director role within a few years. I took the job and went to Kentucky.

The move in terms of career turned out to be a smart one; I moved into a managerial role within a year. The bad part for me was the climate. We had moved there in February and I was amazed that all I needed was a hoodie. I was dismayed on my birthday (mid March) when it hit 85 degrees and grumbled about missing the snowmobiling trips I generally did on my birthdays.

I just couldn't get into the constant sunny skies, almost year-round summer, and lack of snow. I actually gained weight in the summer and lost it in the fall/winter when I lived there because in the summer I went to work and then just went and sat in the house because it was too hot to do anything. I thought that the natives were crazy because they were outside walking around in 95 F + heat, lol. They thought I was insane because I hid in the house all summer and then walked around in the dead of winter and got happy about cloudy days.

It got worse after about 6 years because the company ended up folding and I had to take the first thing that came along which was a job in Tennessee.

It took another year, but I finally got a job in my target location back up in the snowbelt area and I'm very happy here

There are other factors that might have kept me down there but they would have had to have been VERY compelling.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:51 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,544,022 times
Depends on the period of my life. I'm close to retirement. I alwsys knew I wanted to retire early (before 60) so for me the ability to make a decent salary was important. Now weather is a major criteria

Old 11-25-2017, 07:02 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,967,534 times
Weather becomes more important when safety issues are involved. If you are older, easily off balance and don't react as quickly as you once did, walking on ice becomes treacherous. Yes you might fall into snow and laugh it off, but for some the likelihood of a broken keister is high--not good for old folks.

Same with high heat. There are those who get dizzy or can't breathe easily in high heat or humidity. They need to stay away from either hot or high humidity areas.

But other than that, the not-totally-perfect areas are usually less crowded and people have more to talk about than to gossip about. Add in some great health care and entertainment venues, and some well build housing and good schools, and you have a pretty nice place to live.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,938,437 times
After living in Minnesota for 15 years, the answer is yes. I will never again live anyplace where winter is 6 months long!

Old 11-25-2017, 05:06 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,903,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
I've read a few posters on CD mention that other factors in a city trump the weather. Currently, I'm leaning towards moving back to the midwest (Chicago) or east (Pittsburgh, Boston). I dislike snow, but there would be more perceived positives to those environments than where I currently live (in Las Vegas, NV). I've also lived in Florida, Texas, Illinois, Colorado and Italy.

My top criteria is:

1. excellent doctors/jobs
2. the people, strong sense of community
3. live music, culture, museums, public events, plays and shows
4. scenery/weather - I need parks and I love trees!

Just don't know if the terrible weather would make me unhappy or I'd just adapt.

Anyone relate or have any advice? Thanks.

Weather was a huge factor in my decision to move back east; actually, it was probably the only reason. I once lived in Las Vegas too for 9 years and eventually I just couldn't take it anymore. For me weather has a huge impact on my mood so I should have known that I wouldn't be able to take it for too long where it's bright and sunny all the time. At the time of the move to Las Vegas (young, just out of college, not in a stable career at that time), that was the plan for me, that I (we actually) would be going out there temporarily and eventually moving back. But things happened and one thing after another I found myself in a great job that I couldn't give up easily.

(Side note: the awesome job I had at the time allowed me to take vacations pretty much whenever I wanted, and I went out east 4 times a year. That didn't help. The problem with needing a specific kind of weather is that you can't control it. Toward the end of my stay in LV whenever I went out east it would be bright and sunny most of the time. That's when I really got depressed).

I think it just depends on if you are a person affected in a large way by the weather. I am. Probably for some people it doesn't affect them in such a significant way.

This will be the first time (possibly) for me in 10 years to deal with any snow/cold issues (last year we really didn't get a winter here in south-central PA). I never could deal with cold very well, so that is the main issue in weather now for me. Last year I loved it, but it was more like a North Carolina winter (where I lived for two years). So I'm not sure how much your need for parks and trees will be more significant than your dislike for snow. That is one thing to consider in weather. Most of the time, you're always going to have some kind of downside with weather; it's just a question of whether it is the right combination for you.

Best wishes on your possible move!

Old 11-26-2017, 08:51 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,684,377 times
Last year we moved from Illinois to Indiana. I hate the winters, but it allowed my husband to still work in Illinois for his current job while being able to reap the benefits of Indiana's lower cost of living compared to Illinois. For us the following factors would rank as:

1. Cost of living (housing, property taxes, etc)
2. Jobs
3. Good schools and community
4. Close to a major city
5. Weather

Old 11-26-2017, 09:28 PM

10,269 posts, read 13,789,503 times
Salary and cost of living are by far most important to me, I don't need to be rich (and most certainly and not) but if I'm struggling or just getting by, nothing else will matter. I need to live comfortably.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:43 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,201,657 times
I feel like I am rather like some monkeys; unable to stay healthy in weather much less less then 70 degrees. I keep my house 82 degrees in winter and as high as it gets in summer. If I stay with someone overnight and the temperature is less than 80 degrees, I might not notice the cold, but wake up very sick. I have been near death many times just not thinking about what the temperature is.

Most of my physicians know about this but have no idea why this happens, It seemed less so when I was under forty and since then, it keeps getting worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues