U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 09:30 AM

306 posts, read 216,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
My second driver grew up in Chicago. She is not afraid.
Maybe she should be. I'm also a Chicago native driving a Subaru *with* snow tires. I love driving when there's 6+ inches of snow/slush on the ground and am usually yelling at cars to get out of my way. But that's driving on roads where I know where every single pothole is.

I'd be very afraid on unknown roads where a simple mistake could be very costly. I'm not saying don't take the trip, but I would wouldn't take it too lightly and be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 02:45 PM

246 posts, read 165,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Maybe she should be. I'm also a Chicago native driving a Subaru *with* snow tires. I love driving when there's 6+ inches of snow/slush on the ground and am usually yelling at cars to get out of my way. But that's driving on roads where I know where every single pothole is.

I'd be very afraid on unknown roads where a simple mistake could be very costly. I'm not saying don't take the trip, but I would wouldn't take it too lightly and be prepared.
It's interstates virtually all the way. They are as "known" as unknown roads can be.

I'm not taking it lightly, and we will certainly be as prepared as much as possible.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:33 PM

306 posts, read 216,917 times
Quote:
It's interstates virtually all the way. They are as "known" as unknown roads can be.

I'm not taking it lightly, and we will certainly be as prepared as much as possible.
Have a safe trip!

Old 12-14-2017, 03:43 PM

1,099 posts, read 395,086 times
If it snows bad [Blizzard ] the major roads speed limit drops to 40 mph or even closes.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:44 PM

246 posts, read 165,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
If it snows bad [Blizzard ] the major roads speed limit drops to 40 mph or even closes.
In a blizzard I will be in a motel drinking hot toddies and watching tv.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:41 PM

2,205 posts, read 969,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Unless they are studded, snow tires are just not that much different than all-weather tires. And all you have to do is drive more slowly.

If you hit really bad ice, it won't matter what kind of tires you have.
Wow - this is so far from the truth. Most of my driving experience in winter is in Alaska, Minnesota, and Iceland. Winter tires, such as Blizzaks or Continental Winter Contacts, are specifically designed to stick to ice in cold weather. All weather tires are most definitely not. I can drive and stop on ice using a winter tire that I can barely walk on. An all season tire will results in you sliding and sliding and sliding and sliding....

Studs work well in Alaska simply because there are many areas where roads are left snow and ice covered. They plow off the loose stuff but leave a layer of ice for the studs to grip but protect the road. However, even in Alaska you see this less and less and winter tires become more common.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:18 PM

4,797 posts, read 3,205,499 times
I spent the first 28 years of my life in MA (12 as a driver) and I never owned a set of snow tires in my life. Good all seasons and common sense is all I ever needed. Ironically now that I live in Los Angeles I need chains if I want to go anywhere in the mountains during the winter

Old 12-15-2017, 01:03 AM

7,136 posts, read 4,061,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I love hearing Southerners give winter driving advice. 20 years ago this winter I was in Alabama over a winter's weekend. They got 1 inch of snow and the entire state literally shut down. Of course I didn't realize this because 1) I don't watch TV and 2) the roads looked great. Anyway, I was pulled over by an absolutely terrified sheriff's deputy who told me I was risking both my life and everyone else's by driving on the roads. Seemed weird because it was early on a Sunday and literally no one was on the road. I told him I was from Alaska, he shook his head, and got back in his car. I don't think I saw him driving over 5 miles an hour as he left me.

If you were originally from a northern state I'd say get the winter tires and drive straight to MA. Not that bad no matter what the weather. However, if you don't know how to drive in winter weather then I would stay south as long as possible. Not a guarantee though as the southern route is often snowy and icy as well.
I too am amazed at some of the advice given. I just drove my Jeep Wrangler from Arizona to Alaska a month ago. Besides taking a sleeping bag and some warm boots all I did to prep my Jeep was to change the oil and diff fluids, added a few extra psi to my tires to compensate for the change in altitude and temperature and I drained the windshield washer tank and filled it with minus 20 degree washer fluid. And I purged the lines of the 32 degree fluid. That's it. The OP is driving the interstate system. Absent a giant storm, it's going to be a cake walk. The only recommendation is to change out his washer fluid and change the oil before he leaves. It's going to be 2018, not 1848.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:06 AM

69,003 posts, read 51,154,580 times
Quote:
My question is about snow tires. Something I have not had to deal with seeing as it never snows here. I will be driving with someone raised in Chicago though. Should I buy snow tires here in CA, and get them put on when it's forecast to be bad weather? Put them on before I leave? Does my trailer also need snow tires? . .

Lots of replies I haven't gone through but when would you be leaving? Best thing to do is keep track of my posts, I'm on top of weather and all snow storms coming across the country.. (mostly focused in Northeast though)

Snow tires are a must in winter where it snows, but you don't need snow tires unless it snows. Roads get cleared pretty good and they are just wet after some hours or next day.. Keep in mind snow tires wear out faster on pavement.. So I would say its a waste to put them on there and travel all those miles across with them..

My advice...... Pick a day to travel where there's no snow happening along your route. Then put them on when you're in MA.

If your current tires are worn down, that will make it harder in snow. I'd keep both eyes open for any snow falling along your way. You'll be fine. Don't panic.

Not sure about the trailer needing them but I'd hate for the thing to be sliding around left to right? Maybe not.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:37 AM

11,505 posts, read 13,576,703 times
Keep track of your posts?!? What are you the C-D weather man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I love hearing Southerners give winter driving advice.
My god, right?

What is wrong with you people? You know...some times we actually go a whole week without snow. Some times... gasp... it gets into the low 40's even 50's! The sun actually comes out in Winter, too! Some times... it just snows a little. Snow storms that make really dangerous and scary driving conditions happen 3 times a year maybe. 4 or 5 in a really bad year. 1 or 2 in a good year (like the last 2).
To assume it's going to be a named winter storm (omg, do we really name winter storms now?) is just ridiculous.

OP, just have good tires. Watch the weather. Adjust your route when the time comes, if the weather turns bad. If not, enjoy the midwest and safe travels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues