U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:29 AM

3,971 posts, read 1,697,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
One reminder is, if you're going to donate it to Purple Heart or Habitat or some other place that will pick it up, you need to give them advance notice. I found this out the hard way when I had sold most of my furniture on Craigslist and then was trying to donate the rest. Unfortunately, many places were booked way out.

I ended up putting the stuff in the "free" section of Craigslist and luckily, someone came and got it. People usually like free stuff, no matter what condition it's in.

I wouldn't take a chance putting it curbside in case no one takes it, then you might be stuck with it by your moving deadline.
I actually had same-day pickup when I called Habitat around a year ago to pick up some stuff. You really donít know. I think it depends on the time of year and how many people are moving/donating stuff. Winter is not as popular a time for moves/donations. I donated something with Salvation Army in the summer a few years ago and had to give quite a bit more notice for that.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,663,625 times
I had to do this when I sold my house.

I did a bit of everything. Some things were posted on Craigslist with a price tag, and some things were listed for free. I had takers for pretty much everything I listed. Everything else, I called a charity organization for pick up, and what they didn't accept, a "junk hauler" was paid to haul it all away.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:18 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,063,865 times
Salvation Army and others can be picky. They don't want anyone's "junk" if they can't sell it. My local furniture thrift store pays $70,000 a year in disposal costs, and they are picky about what they take. (no mattresses, etc). But still people will dump stuff when they are closed.

I would try Freecycle or CL.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 AM

4,234 posts, read 7,265,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
Hi,
I have a room full of old, used furniture that I need to get rid of. None of it is particularly valuable, however I'm uncertain about what to do with it all. I definitely need to hire someone to come in and move it all out of the room, but I'm not sure what to do with it all after that point. Trash it? Goodwill? Sell it? Who do I hire to come in and move it all out for me? Private moving company? An individual? ... any ideas would be helpful. Thanks
Thanks to a national infestation of bedbugs you should probably burn it. Look at the FREE section of your Craig's List to get an idea of its worth.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:37 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,987,396 times
Habitat for humanity took a lot of stuff for us.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:55 PM

9,155 posts, read 8,666,394 times
Contact your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore: https://www.habitat.org/restores

Old 01-11-2018, 12:42 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,924,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I usually call habitat for humanity and give it to them they come with a truck and haul it away as well . that way you are not stuck with it at moving time or deadline . end of story .
I don't know about your Habitat, but the one I called was picky. They wouldn't take some of my stuff -- for example, an almost-new TV console that had some scratches from my dog jumping at the TV but could be easily fixed by someone that knew what they were doing.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:05 AM

911 posts, read 530,471 times
Donating furniture when you are moving can be a hassle. I had a kitchen table , desk, large dresser, and a huge sofa and loveseat that had to go. I knew i could not sell them, or if I did I'd get a paltry amount. So I put it "free" on Craigslist. I ended up with a group of guys who had just graduated college and needed furniture. The couches were in our garage but we did let them come in the house to dismantle and haul the table away. I posted the ad in the morning and by late afternoon it was all gone.

If you sell any of your furniture, even for a small amount, it takes much more work than giving it away.People become fussy when money is involved. I have done this now many times and I am amazed how quickly my inbox becomes full once I post my free Craigslist ad.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:39 AM

1,527 posts, read 633,930 times
Or you can bypass all that and get a dumpster.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:06 AM

12,913 posts, read 8,744,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Put an ad on Craigslist for "FREE STUFF" (since you said it's not worth much/anything), and it'll be gone in a matter of days - if not hours! I've done that with every move, after selling anything that did have value, and people were thrilled to get what they did. There are literally people who scour Craigslist daily for free stuff, so it won't take long for them to respond. Just make sure to add "MUST pick up and transport yourself," or they might expect you to help.

And when it comes to the end, where you just want to get the stuff out, put it at the curb with a "FREE" sign. If you need help physically moving it out there, find a strong young neighbor willing to do it for beer, or look outside your local Home Depot for a day worker. I know the latter will make some people here gasp, but it's worked for me in many past experiences. In fact, some of the best help I've gotten has been from Home Depot (or similar) day workers. Helps that I speak Spanish too, LOL.
Not a good idea, that's an open invitation to criminals like burglars. You're posting your address to the open public and many criminals and druggies look for homes that are abandoned or people moving to break in.

Plus without any form of crowd control, you have no clue how many people would show up and it is illegal in many towns to have this sort of open invitation which could cause dangerous situations such as your street suddenly having 10+ trucks showing up to get free stuff. Never underestimate the power of social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues