Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:05 AM

10 posts, read 31,993 times

Advertisements

I moved 6 months ago and again April 1st.
The Mayflower mover that moved me in October delivered my items in good order, but there were two obvious items that were missing. A Harmon Kardon speaker and Craftsman tool kit. I called right away and they reimbursed me for these items (made me angry, but they could be replaced). Now that I have moved again to where my items are all accessible I have noticed another older item that is gone. It was stolen out of one of my bins! It was an old piggy bank tin with some change in it. It was from my childhood and cannot be replaced. I am also missing a few other things, but those can be replaced.
I feel violated and so, so angry. These items missing mean that someone opened my bins and took things out of them. I was quite sick at the time of the move so I did the best that I could in securing things. Obviously not quite enough. The company is no longer in business from what I can tell online. None of their numbers work.

As a background, I have moved 5x in 4 years, then had a 5yr break, moved again last April. In April Don Farr destroyed and damaged most all of my furniture, which are mostly antiques from the 1800s. I have been fighting with them for a year now to be reimbursed. It has been a traumatic nightmare to see my irreplaceable antiques damaged. The BBB is involved now and the company sent a measly $1400.00 check for over 3k worth of damage and loss.
None of these companies, except for Don Farr, moved my belongings off of one truck to another. I won't allow that any longer due to the extensive damage that they caused. Period.

I moved my most breakable, smaller items with me in the vehicle. I just could not stuff anything else in! I have pets that had to come with me, too, so there was limited room during my trips even with hauling a trailer.

I am now not trusting of any company, although the Atlas company that moved me this past month did a wonderful job. I stuck by them as they worked, though, so that may be the difference.

Has anyone had irreplaceable things stolen by movers? How do you get over the trauma?

Old 04-11-2017, 08:20 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
I'm so sorry that this happened to you! It's going to hurt for a long time, I'm sure.

My Boise speakers went for a walk when I was moving into an apartment in my 20s. Since then, I trust NO ONE on moving day.

During the last move, I put my extra cash, IDs not currently in use, small electronics (cameras, IPod, etc) and other can't lose items in a toolbox that fit under the seat of my car, then I put my purse on the seat and covered it with a blanket. Lastly, I locked the car. Everything else was bulky and not attractive to criminals.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:27 AM

10 posts, read 31,993 times
Thank you for the reply.
I honestly forgot about the little box of change as I long ago had misplaced the key and just kept it in a curio for display purposes. It was packed away so they had to go into my bins to find it. I find that disturbing. The bins had a lot of unattractive stuff in them along with this and of course, that is all still here.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:41 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
I had over ten thousand in losses when I moved from PA to AZ. The driver stole everything he wanted. And he 'got lost' and would not communicate with his employer for two extra weeks...probably when he was stealing my stuff. He said he stopped in TX to visit family. Probably gave them some pretty good gifts too! MY STUFF. And my work paid them to pack so they knew what was in the boxes.

But they did give me a check for $10k without any argument--total boxes and items were missing and I followed the check off list of stuff very carefully and had the claim before he left. I would not sign that he dropped off the stuff with soooo much missing, just called his company.

When I moved from AZ to CA, I actually called to cops when they were packing my stuff. They put stuff in their backpacks as they went. Put a couch in their pick up truck as they thought I did not notice. SCUM. Mayflower's manager came out to supervise and they sent a new group to pack after the cops came and made them empty their backpacks. Guess they did not like that I called to cops and it would be in the newspaper. But then again, they should not hire druggie crooks!

And it leaves a feeling of violation and lack of trust. Now I pack myself and use packrat or Penski.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:41 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Yeah best way to move is to sell everything that isn't replaceable and just buy new. Ship what is irreplaceable and won't fit in your vehicle.

Antique furniture is not something to own when moving so frequently.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:31 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
OP, very sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, it can happen even on LOCAL moves. I hired a local company to move a lot of my stuff when I moved a few miles away back in 2012. I was in the (new) house unpacking and went out to check on things ... found one of the movers going through my LPs in a plastic bin commenting on how great they were. Seriously? Why are you going through my stuff???

It sucks that you can't always trust people.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:39 PM

586 posts, read 554,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I had over ten thousand in losses when I moved from PA to AZ. The driver stole everything he wanted. And he 'got lost' and would not communicate with his employer for two extra weeks...probably when he was stealing my stuff. He said he stopped in TX to visit family. Probably gave them some pretty good gifts too! MY STUFF. And my work paid them to pack so they knew what was in the boxes.

But they did give me a check for $10k without any argument--total boxes and items were missing and I followed the check off list of stuff very carefully and had the claim before he left. I would not sign that he dropped off the stuff with soooo much missing, just called his company.

When I moved from AZ to CA, I actually called to cops when they were packing my stuff. They put stuff in their backpacks as they went. Put a couch in their pick up truck as they thought I did not notice. SCUM. Mayflower's manager came out to supervise and they sent a new group to pack after the cops came and made them empty their backpacks. Guess they did not like that I called to cops and it would be in the newspaper. But then again, they should not hire druggie crooks!

And it leaves a feeling of violation and lack of trust. Now I pack myself and use packrat or Penski.
Wow. I've only used pro movers twice but it turned out fine both times. The second move they literally wrapped an onion in paper, tagged it and put it with the rest of the kitchen stuff and we found it later.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:50 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
Wow. I've only used pro movers twice but it turned out fine both times. The second move they literally wrapped an onion in paper, tagged it and put it with the rest of the kitchen stuff and we found it later.
Funny, that reminds me of my move from Germany, back to the States... I found a plastic cup, full of twist ties wrapped in paper, like it was gift wrapped at Tiffany's. Other things like that too. Now my Mum's recent move from PA-to-AZ via Mayflower, not so great. "Missing" boxes too, and funny how pillows never come up "missing", but small items of value do.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:14 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I was missing my personal tiny beer mug forever. A present of my father who had it made for me with Bavarian chevrons, pewter lid and perfect for a US can of beer. After quietly accusing the world regularly we had a revelation. Lampshades which did not get unpacked when we moved to TX seven years ago (no paper boxes!) were to go to the donation pile. SO opened the boys and there sat my mug nicely covered by lots of bubble wrap.

We have also thrown a house full of crystal ceiling lamps away while storing the trash

Old 04-17-2017, 04:08 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
After one move, I discovered that the things from my dresser were missing. Most of it was underwear--panties, bras, hose, slips, nightwear. I really don't want to think about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues