Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:05 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times

Advertisements

An ad in the free section of craigslist will have that stuff gone in a couple hours. After letting people pick through the non-garbage, you can then find someone who will haul whatever is left to the dump.

Those junk removal businesses are GREAT if you're in a huge hurry, but if you have time, craiglist is probably the better choice to keep costs down.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:21 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,932,938 times
We have a big snow storm today and Salvation Army cancelled the pickup. The earliest time rescheduled time is at the end of the month.

There are no other organizations do home pickup in our area.

It's not easy to put things out on the curb or next to the driveway with a Free sign in the winter in the northeast. Where do you put things out with big snow banks and how to protect them from snow, rain etc.

Many of the pieces which we want to give away are very heavy. We will have to hire someone to haul them out of the house. I just cleared out one side of the garage to keep items there.

I don't want to put ads in freecycle or craigslist stating that we are moving out soon and give out our address.

Yes, it's easy just to call a junk hauler but items which I want to give away are not junks. They can be used by others for years so why wasting stuff and adding to the landfill? Over the last year or so, we have already hauled carloads of junks to the dump. We also discarded all the not too valuable items in a big dumpster last July when we rented one for the house roofing work.

I put my first free item craigslist on New Year giving away a dog igloo. A kind man answered right away and came to pick it up to give to an elderly neighbor with many dogs outside with no shelter. He also picked up other items for dogs since we lost our dog last summer. I emailed him today asking whether he want to get some furniture and household items for people in need. I hope that he can find a good home for many items.

For the items that he can not find users, I will put ads on freecycle and craiglist and nextdoor few items at a time. I'd rather have individuals contact me than an open invitation for people to come to my house.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
There are companies that do estate sales and auctions. They sell all they can and keep a percentage. Ideally, they do all the hauling and remove the trash at the end.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:21 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,906 times
I can't believe this hasn't been suggested yet. Whoever your guys are that pick up your trash would be happy to take your stuff over the course of a few pickups. $20-30 every pickup till it's gone. That's what I've done on occasion.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:04 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,189 times
I've moved several times in the recent past and by far the easiest way to get rid of things is to post it free on Craigslist. I gave away: two giant couches, kitchen table set with six chairs, rugs, lamps, coffee table, several beds, desk, two china hutches as well as tons of kids' toys. Thrift stores around here do not accept toys and it killed me to throw away some really good things. When I post on CL I respond via email and only give the person coming to get the item my cell number. Often items are gone within an hour and everyone has been more than appreciative. Last time there were some guys who were new college grads and needed stuff for their apartment. It actually warmed my heart that they were being financially smart and that my stuff would help them outfit their place for free.

You can haul smaller items like housewares or clothes to Salvation Army or Goodwill. Now if you have stuff that is broken or stained or dirty that is garbage that needs to be discarded as it's bad to make charities dispose of your stuff. Around here you can go to the dumps ($40 per load) or you can call a place like 800 Got junk for larger amounts.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:09 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
If you have a way to close off the rest of your house so people can't get in or see what you have, you simply put an ad (where ever you prefer to advertise) that says "free garage sale, every thing is free" give the time and date and then stand back.

I bought a house where the crazy doper seller just walked away and left everything. I did the free garage sale and I couldn't believe what people will take: broken furniture, filthy carpeting, broken boards and bricks, and a shower curtain that was black with mold. There was a cobbled together platform made out of rotting wood and someone carefully disassembled that and took it away.

Dont tell anyone you are moving, just tell them you are sick of looking at it.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:29 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Most inexpensive way....
Sell it.
Have a garage sell

Old 01-18-2018, 04:53 AM

723 posts, read 570,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
1-800-Got Junk will get rid of it all for you.
They will, but at least around here, they are ridiculously expensive.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:23 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
They will, but at least around here, they are ridiculously expensive.
Yes they are. I put all my crap out in the alley behind our apartments. It was gone within an hour. I once put an old reclining sofa, only the metal frame part, out there. The thing weighed like 150 pounds. It took 15 minutes and somebody loaded it up in a pickup truck. Many Mexicans around here collect scrap metal and other crap and sell it. Not sure how that works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues